Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 10:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
What is hot for Portland?😎
80 in July.
Old 04-06-24, 10:53 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
80 in July.
That’s our low in July. 😄
Old 04-06-24, 10:58 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No they don't, they just offer returns and sell your used helmets to some other schmuck who might not even be the wiser that someone else wore it or crashed in it.
That's ridiculous. I put it on my head and wore it for about ten minutes to adjust it to see if it fit. If I didn't like it, I would have returned it. No sweat in it. No crashes. What do you think happens to helmets at your LBS? I'm guessing you are anti-Amazon. That's ok. You are entitled to your own opinion, I guess.
Old 04-06-24, 11:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
That’s our low in July. 😄
Yeah, I’ve observed that “hot” and “cold” mean different things to different people. Over the years when looking for clothing and helmet info, I’ve learned to disregard posters in colder climates. When it’s 60 here, I’m putting on a jacket. When it’s 60 in North Dakota, they are donning swim suits and jumping into icy lakes. 😜

No right or wrong, just different.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-06-24, 11:51 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Yeah, I’ve observed that “hot” and “cold” mean different things to different people. Over the years when looking for clothing and helmet info, I’ve learned to disregard posters in colder climates. When it’s 60 here, I’m putting on a jacket. When it’s 60 in North Dakota, they are donning swim suits and jumping into icy lakes. 😜

No right or wrong, just different.
Yeah, I get cold under about 65*.
Old 04-06-24, 11:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
That's ridiculous. I put it on my head and wore it for about ten minutes to adjust it to see if it fit. If I didn't like it, I would have returned it. No sweat in it. No crashes. What do you think happens to helmets at your LBS? I'm guessing you are anti-Amazon. That's ok. You are entitled to your own opinion, I guess.
How is that ridiculous? You may have done that maybe but you don't know what someone else has done. In terms of my local shop and all the shops I have worked at in the past (and pretty much all the shops I have ever asked in my travels) we don't take returns on helmets for the very reason that someone could do as I have described and then I have a dead helmet on my hands that would go in the trash and I am out money or I have the option to do something unethical and sell your used helmet which nobody but some very expensive equipment not worth time or money could really determine. Helmets are a safety item not a pair of slacks from the Gap. I cannot just wash out a crash.

People do stupid things and return stuff all the time to places like Amazon and Amazon takes those items and resells them why wouldn't they, it is more profit for them and a way to get rid of stuff they would otherwise throw away now they are making a buck on it and you might not know or if you find out you will probably still spend money with them over and over because they will have you hooked.

I am against companies that knowingly and willingly sell fake and knockoff products, that treat their workers like garbage (or don't consider them workers to get out of caring for them) and make billions upon billions of dollars off the backs of others if you are for that by all means you are entitled to your opinion just know where your money goes and who it supports.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-07-24, 09:51 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am against companies that knowingly and willingly sell fake and knockoff products, that treat their workers like garbage (or don't consider them workers to get out of caring for them) and make billions upon billions of dollars off the backs of others if you are for that by all means you are entitled to your opinion just know where your money goes and who it supports.
Sorry to say then you are against most if not all corporations especially here in the good ole US of A. All the top folks & shareholders really care about is the bottom line & how many millions of dollars they get.

As for amazon selling used gear like helmets, not too sure if they have a try & buy program or not. I know when I was looking at helmets the ones I was looking at did not offer that option. But they sell so many different types & styles I didnt look at them all obviously & I didnt go to my LBS because they didnt have the price point or color I wanted. Yup, old school here, never wore a helmet as a kid or while I was stationed overseas in the 90s, I'm only going to wear one when I have to for bike tours. My state doesnt require it as I'm well over the age of 16.

My choice, but considering I've been physically hit by a town car, have been in a accident that had 50-75 lb boxes slam me in the back, neck & head while I was driving due to an idiot running my work minivan off the road, & then another car accident I was lucky to walk away from.. heaven doesnt want me & hades is afraid I'd take over. When its my time its my time.
Old 04-07-24, 10:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
I personally would never knowingly buy a used helmet for a number of reasons, but I have noticed how many are sold through 2nd hand stores, thrift shops, and others, just to name a few. While I've donated bikes and parts, I never donate helmets.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-12-24, 02:32 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
This grows tiresome, Helmets do NOTHING at protecting your life because they were not designed to protect your life,.And a helmet so designed would be something like 6' in diameter. That would make the helmet a greater threat to the rider than the danger from cars.

As for saving lives here is a study showing that helmets do NOTHNG to protect you from cars https://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html

I have gone back and checked to see if anything has changed and it has not.

But this is NOT the problem. If a car hits you at just 35 mph you are DEAD. Cars commonly exceed 35 mph even in school zones. So pretending that your body can withstand that sort of shock is simply ridiculous.

But I nevertheless recommend helmets because helmets were not designed to save you if you were hit by a car. They were designed to save you for the other 95% of accidents - the fall overs. The ones like I had - a funny noise coming from the front wheel and I bent over while riding to see what it was - it was the carbon fiber fork failing and as I bent over with my head only 24 inches above the ground, the fork exploded and dumped me directly on my forehead. I was wearing a helmet and if I were not my skull would have fractured. that would not likely have killed me but the ER doctors would have taken my injury as a serious injury rather than simply being knocked out for 5 minutes.

Instead because helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures rather than moderate concussions, I had no external signs of serious injury.

The injury from the concussion was so bad that I was having a type of seizure which diabetics often have - I could not remember having the seizure and so was unaware of them., My brothers were totally ignorant of what a seizure is and one thought that I was simply getting very mad and the other thought I was going crazy. Finally a cop friend got me to Stanford Medical Center because I could not even remember to eat and had lost 42% of my body weight, My cop friend thought it must be cancer but the doctors ruled that out and recommended one of the professors of neurology who had a small local practice as well as teaching.

He had never seen a concussion that bad and the only way to treat it was with drugs. So I will spend the rest of my life taking maximum doses of two medications twice a day for about $8,000 a year to control it and these are the CHEAP medications. After 10 years, I am more or less normal except for the side effects of those drugs.

Now, in the meantime, Trek under the auspices of the Bontrager brand name has invented the 3D printed Wavecell helmet which is designed specifically to decelerate the head below the concussion rate. I have fallen off once with it and indeed it appeared to work. The shock didn't even make me dizzy.

Also other idiots have claimed that the injuries from the neck being twisted and replied with the MIPS helmets which have a mounting that will twist in a collision. I am extremely doubtful of this and indeed the Wavecell doesn't need these sorts of mountings since of the controlled deceleration.

The take home from the study and analysis of the study, and the personal experience is that you should wear a helmet of your own volition and it appears without further proof that the Bontrager Wavecell helmet is more intelligently designed than the old foam helmets. Helmets should not be mandatory since the manner in which many people ride simply doesn't require a helmet. Head injuries are rare and mandatory helmet laws are made in the belief that helmets can protect you in an automobile collision.

Also I would like you to know that neurologists are not the same. Most of them treat various dementias and soon forget anything they ever knew about concussions. I had gone to several neurologists on the recommendation of my private doctor and most of them were useless. Dementias, in general, can only be slowed and not stopped and these neurologists get pretty fixated on the idea that they can in the end do nothing. So there are good and bad neurologists to treat a concussion vs.dementia and you have to be aware of that and find the proper one. I was lucky to be near Stanford Medical Center where some of the very best doctors are.
Old 04-12-24, 02:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Pretending that all cars will hit a cyclist at 35 mph or more is also tiresome.
Pretending that a helmet will not help protect a cyclist from some of the accidents they have is also tiresome.

I'd most certainly be dead if I hadn't had a helmet on back in July of 2019. I didn't get hit by a car. I was all alone... except for the doe that jumped out of the brush and knocked me off my bike when I was doing more than 20mph.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-12-24, 03:04 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
If you get hit at 35mph and don't go under the car then I'd say that helmet will probably do something to reduce your injury.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-12-24, 03:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
As for saving lives here is a study showing that helmets do NOTHNG to protect you from cars https://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html
Putting your opinions on a page with flags at the top and then posting it on a website somewhere does not magically turn it into a "study."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-12-24, 04:01 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The skull on the sides is thin enough that you can fracture your skull if you fall over while stopped and hit a curb.
Helmets don’t make you invulnerable but they greatly increase your chances of surving.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 04-12-24, 04:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,452 Times in 2,771 Posts
This grows tiresome, Helmets do NOTHING at protecting your life because they were not designed to protect your life,.And a helmet so designed would be something like 6' in diameter. That would make the helmet a greater threat to the rider than the danger from cars.

I have gone back and checked to see if anything has changed and it has not.

But this is NOT the problem. If a car hits you at just 35 mph you are DEAD. Cars commonly exceed 35 mph even in school zones. So pretending that your body can withstand that sort of shock is simply ridiculous.

But I nevertheless recommend helmets because helmets were not designed to save you if you were hit by a car. They were designed to save you for the other 95% of accidents - the fall overs. The ones like I had - a funny noise coming from the front wheel and I bent over while riding to see what it was - it was the carbon fiber fork failing and as I bent over with my head only 24 inches above the ground, the fork exploded and dumped me directly on my forehead. I was wearing a helmet and if I were not my skull would have fractured. that would not likely have killed me but the ER doctors would have taken my injury as a serious injury rather than simply being knocked out for 5 minutes.

Instead because helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures rather than moderate concussions, I had no external signs of serious injury.

The injury from the concussion was so bad that I was having a type of seizure which diabetics often have - I could not remember having the seizure and so was unaware of them., My brothers were totally ignorant of what a seizure is and one thought that I was simply getting very mad and the other thought I was going crazy. Finally a cop friend got me to Stanford Medical Center because I could not even remember to eat and had lost 42% of my body weight, My cop friend thought it must be cancer but the doctors ruled that out and recommended one of the professors of neurology who had a small local practice as well as teaching.

He had never seen a concussion that bad and the only way to treat it was with drugs. So I will spend the rest of my life taking maximum doses of two medications twice a day for about $8,000 a year to control it and these are the CHEAP medications. After 10 years, I am more or less normal except for the side effects of those drugs.

Now, in the meantime, Trek under the auspices of the Bontrager brand name has invented the 3D printed Wavecell helmet which is designed specifically to decelerate the head below the concussion rate. I have fallen off once with it and indeed it appeared to work. The shock didn't even make me dizzy.

Also other idiots have claimed that the injuries from the neck being twisted and replied with the MIPS helmets which have a mounting that will twist in a collision. I am extremely doubtful of this and indeed the Wavecell doesn't need these sorts of mountings since of the controlled deceleration.

The take home from the study and analysis of the study, and the personal experience is that you should wear a helmet of your own volition and it appears without further proof that the Bontrager Wavecell helmet is more intelligently designed than the old foam helmets. Helmets should not be mandatory since the manner in which many people ride simply doesn't require a helmet. Head injuries are rare and mandatory helmet laws are made in the belief that helmets can protect you in an automobile collision.

Also I would like you to know that neurologists are not the same. Most of them treat various dementias and soon forget anything they ever knew about concussions. I had gone to several neurologists on the recommendation of my private doctor and most of them were useless. Dementias, in general, can only be slowed and not stopped and these neurologists get pretty fixated on the idea that they can in the end do nothing. So there are good and bad neurologists to treat a concussion vs.dementia and you have to be aware of that and find the proper one. I was lucky to be near Stanford Medical Center where some of the very best doctors are.
Bummer. It's surprising your Doc is supportive of you continuing to ride.
Old 04-13-24, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
That is not a study...and even if it were, it doesn't even pretend to reach that conclusion.
Old 04-13-24, 10:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That is not a study...and even if it were, it doesn't even pretend to reach that conclusion.
If I wasn't wearing a helmet in 1977, I wouldn't have been alive over the years of that study. And that crash was from a bike failure, not risky riding.

And yes, tight better helmets, risks are taken that weren't before. We see this in ice hockey. When I was growing up, none of the pros wore helmets, let alone masks. Everyone knew the risk of death was real every time they stepped onto the ice. Players kept their sticks down, much more so than today. But a safer game? (OEM teeth were a rare commodity, much more common now.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-13-24, 11:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If I wasn't wearing a helmet in 1977, I wouldn't have been alive over the years of that study. And that crash was from a bike failure, not risky riding.

And yes, tight better helmets, risks are taken that weren't before. We see this in ice hockey. When I was growing up, none of the pros wore helmets, let alone masks. Everyone knew the risk of death was real every time they stepped onto the ice. Players kept their sticks down, much more so than today. But a safer game? (OEM teeth were a rare commodity, much more common now.)
That explains why helmetless brakeless fixie ninjas are invariably the most cautious cyclists of all.
Old 04-13-24, 11:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The poster that cited the "study" wrote the study, so don't waste any time debating the conclusion.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-14-24, 05:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,452 Times in 2,771 Posts
^^^Good catch, what a joke!!
Old 04-14-24, 11:49 PM
TC1

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts

You are actually completely correct here, although better evidence exists than what you provided.

As you noted, cyclist helmet usage in the US is just over 30% -- 32, in fact, in the most-recent year that I checked. Not coincidentally, the percentage of cyclist fatalities who were helmeted when they crashed, is also 32%. Those two numbers both increase by a percent every couple of years, but they have marched in lock-stop ever since anyone thought to track them.

That is the precise statistical signature of a placebo -- which is exactly what current bicycle helmets are. They do not save any lives, and they never have.

Now I realize that everyone who has ever cracked a helmet is utterly convinced that they would be dead without it -- but that is not the case. And the statistical proof that such belief is nothing but wishful thinking could not be more clear, as previously shown. As a species, we still lack the ability to manufacture ~200 gram devices that can be secured to a human head with a little plastic buckle, that do anything except make the wearer feel safer. It would be great if we achieved that level of technology, but we are not there, nor are we particularly close.

That is not to say that all helmets are useless, by the way. Helmets which can save your life do exist, but they are motorcycle or 'special application' helmets. When we inspect the same statistics for motorcyclists, we find that current usage in the US is about 67%, and only 55% of motorcyclist fatalities were helmeted when killed. That ~12% represents the effectiveness of motorcycle helmets -- not great, but it at least exists, unlike with bicycle helmets. This should surprise no one who has ever held each type of helmet in their hands. The former typically contains ~2 inches of thick, soft padding, inside a complete shell with a visor and often, and full-face protection. The latter is about a quarter-inch of hard styrofoam, partially covered by a thin shell of plastic -- and woefully insufficient for the task.

This dichotomy exists because the engineering priorities for bicycle helmets are "light, cool, cheap, and safe" -- in that order. And if you choose to wear a bicycle helmet instead of a motorcycle helmet, you agree.

By the way, the statistical signature of a safety device that really does work can be found by investigating seat belts. In the US, seat belt usage is about 92%, and only about 45% of occupant fatalities were belted in. That's not a placebo -- unlike bicycle helmets.

The bottom line is that every cyclist who preaches about the necessity of wearing a helmet and who does not wear at least a motorcycle-rated lid, is a hypocrite. And wearing a useless helmet in public when not racing is detrimental to the collective safety of cyclists, as well, further increasing the hypocrisy of that action.
Old 04-15-24, 08:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Ok, tell that to the guy who had a front blowout on a test ride without a helmet and is now missing an ear and has chronic headaches. I guess if you don't die it's all good.
Old 04-15-24, 11:48 AM
TC1

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Ok, tell that to the guy who had a front blowout on a test ride without a helmet and is now missing an ear and has chronic headaches. I guess if you don't die it's all good.
Bicycle helmets do not prevent concussions or other brain injury -- and if you are serious about promoting safety, you would not make such unfounded statements in public.

Preventing concussions is quite a difficult ask for any safety equipment. I once suffered a mild concussion in a relatively low-speed T-bone automotive crash, in which I was secured with a 5-point harness and wearing an SA-rated helmet. My helmet contacted a properly-padded section of the car's roll cage, and that resulted in a concussion despite every precaution having been taken. On the other hand, I also suffered no injury in a different situation, where my helmet did not survive impact with a bare roll cage tube in a friend's car. There is quite a bit of luck involved with the incidence of brain injury, and bicycle helmets are insufficient factors to effect that luck. This is why we study statistics, and not stories.

And to your anecdote about the ear, many hats would address that. My cousin went OTB wearing a ski cap. Destroyed the hat, but he was fine. And the plural of anecdote is still not "data", by the way.
Old 04-15-24, 12:02 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Why would anyone advocate to not use a piece of safety equipment?
A bicycle helmet probably won’t do much if a car hits you- but it might. It can help a minor fall from being worse. All we can do is try to mitigate damage.
Think of it like disc brakes. They don’t completely eliminate problems but they give you a better chance.
If you don’t like wearing a helmet then don't wear one. But don’t try to talk someone else into not wearing one.
Old 04-15-24, 12:11 PM
curbtender

That was someone I know who regrets the whole situation. I understand not wanting mandatory laws but preaching that helmets are useless is beyond my scope.
Old 04-15-24, 12:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,103 Times in 3,834 Posts
Over the course of my life, I've banged my head against a lot of things, sometimes while riding a bicycle. It's always been better while wearing a helmet. I don't care what some study says. I'm going to wear a helmet while riding a bike because my own common sense and personal experience tells me that not wearing a helmet is dumb (for me, YMMV).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.