Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever see bikes at Cabellas?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 08:06 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts

I only drive out to Cabelas about once a year, so this might be old news.

Now you can buy a bike from somebody that was selling archery equipment, shoes, or worms the day before.

The bike section was small. The bikes were not of any brand that I recognized, and in outdoorsy colors. About half were e-bikes.

The parts/accessories aisle could have been lifted straight out of Walmart/Target item for item.

Last edited by ScottCommutes; 04-16-24 at 07:27 AM. Reason: One "l" in Cabelas
Old 04-15-24, 08:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Last time I was in Cabellas was around Christmas. Didn't go through the entire store, didn't see any bikes in the areas I went thru.
Old 04-15-24, 10:21 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
if 7-11 or Quik Mart starts selling BSO's, I'd be more concerned.
Old 04-15-24, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Shocking development.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-15-24, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
They aren't the bikes I'd be interested in for me, but I won't knock people that try them out. They'll either ride the crap out of them and realize they need something better or they'll let them sit in the garage just like the Giant Cypress that my wife paid more than Cabella prices for back circa 2010.

https://www.cabelas.com/c/bikes-accessories
Old 04-15-24, 11:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Ascend, Mongoose, and Huffy.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-15-24, 11:14 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I only drive out to Cabellas about once a year, so this might be old news.

Now you can buy a bike from somebody that was selling archery equipment, shoes, or worms the day before.

The bike section was small. The bikes were not of any brand that I recognized, and in outdoorsy colors. About half were e-bikes.

The parts/accessories aisle could have been lifted straight out of Walmart/Target item for item.
Yes, Cabelas (which is now owned by BPS) has been selling bikes for a couple of years. They sell e-bikes (which are becoming more and more popular with hunters each year) as well as some basic mnt, recreational, and kids bikes. They are actually decent, and they stand behind them. Don't expect "enthusiast" level bikes, but better than what is found in Wally World and Target.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-15-24, 12:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Looking at their site, they sell Ascend, Mongoose, and Huffy. The latter two are common in big box stores (including Walmart), and I don't know anything about Ascend. Heck, it's another outdoor activity (and I could see hunters and fishers using a bike to get from the road to their spot), so why not?
Old 04-15-24, 01:16 PM
apdogtown

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
those stores are massive, but i don't remember seeing a full bike section before.
Old 04-15-24, 01:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
if 7-11 or Quik Mart starts selling BSO's, I'd be more concerned.
Many many years ago I got my first geared, non coaster brake, bike, a columbia 3 speed at a super america gas station. we all also bought 500 round boxes of .22 ammo as I was in a junior rifle club

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-15-24, 01:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
Never been to a Cabelas and have no intention to ever go there. I wouldn't doubt they are selling crap they seem like that sort of place most big box stores will sell BSOs or maybe some accessories and such. Why not try to make money.
Old 04-15-24, 02:18 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Never been to a Cabelas and have no intention to ever go there. I wouldn't doubt they are selling crap they seem like that sort of place most big box stores will sell BSOs or maybe some accessories and such. Why not try to make money.
You have such an amazing open mind! I am sure they will not miss your dollars or preconceived ideas about them.
Old 04-15-24, 02:18 PM
wheelreason

Stick to bikes, Cabelas is (was) one of the oldest and most respected outfitters for outdoors. Of course they carry a $600 Shimano fishing reel, so that brand is know for junk, so there is that...

Last edited by wheelreason; 04-15-24 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-15-24, 05:13 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Stick to bikes, Cabelas is (was) one of the oldest and most respected outfitters for outdoors. Of course they carry a $600 Shimano fishing reel, so that brand is know for junk, so there is that...
If only Campagnolo made fishing equipment.
Old 04-15-24, 06:42 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by urbanknight
If only Campagnolo made fishing equipment.
That would be Fin-Nor. Legendary works of art, at prohibitive price points with a legion of fan boys and functionally inferior to the competition. Much like in cycling, now it's just a name that got bought out and brought to the masses, much like the Haro Masis did.
Old 04-15-24, 07:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Shimano is known for junk they make Tourney and below Tourney, they also make nicer things. I won't get into a deep P&R about fishing but leave them alone let them live their own lives and you can live yours. Plenty of other great outdoor activities.
Old 04-15-24, 07:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Some of the best, most durable, longest lasting outdoor gear I own has been purchased at Cabelas. You've obviously never set foot in one as they sell many brand names and lots of high quality, high end outdoor gear. Typically very knowledgeable staff in any given department. Sure bikes are not their target market, but they see lots of customers and are often a "destination" stop for people who don't have one nearby. Actually really nice stores. The one by me has an awesome wildlife diorama, aquarium, and restaurant. they sell everything from boats to bullets, travel, taxidermy, gunsmithing, really full service outdoor company which donates to many outdoor conservation groups. Maybe they're just not for someone who only is into bikes.
Old 04-15-24, 07:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by dedhed
Some of the best, most durable, longest lasting outdoor gear I own has been purchased at Cabelas. You've obviously never set foot in one as they sell many brand names and lots of high quality, high end outdoor gear.Sure bikes are not their target market, but they see lots of customers and are often a "destination" stop for people who don't have one nearby. Actually really nice stores. The one by me has an awesome wildlife diorama, aquarium, and restaurant. they sell everything from boats to bullets, travel, taxidermy, gunsmithing, really full service outdoor company which donates to many outdoor conservation groups. Maybe they're just not for someone who only is into bikes.
I am into more than just bikes but violence towards others for silly reasons like sport don't impress me and groups calling themselves "conservation" groups that are just interested in doing the same and not really caring about the environment also don't impress. I do enjoy camping, hiking, kayaking, white water rafting, backpacking, shooting sports (that don't involve harm to others)...

However maybe Cabela's is better than I had thought but selling junky bikes kinda of ruins it.
Old 04-15-24, 07:34 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 836 Posts
They probably need the bikes just to get from one side of the store to the other.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-15-24, 08:22 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
Remarkably, there is no rhyme or reason to what Cabelas chooses to stock. They have thousands of SKUs of top-quality name brand made in the USA kind of stuff next to thousands of SKUs of the cheapest foreign imitations. Probably half of their sales are from BS items - dresses, fudge, beef jerky, toys, gifts, candy, funny signs, decor, etc.

The in-store display only featured Ascend bikes - I would have recognized Mongoose or Huffy.

I think they are targeting the people that drive around the country in campers with bikes on a rack. Cabelas caters to that crowd. They legitimately need a place to buy their bike stuff.

Last edited by ScottCommutes; 04-16-24 at 07:25 AM. Reason: One "l" in Cabelas
Old 04-15-24, 09:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
Remarkably, there is no rhyme or reason to what Cabellas chooses to stock. They have thousands of SKUs of top-quality name brand made in the USA kind of stuff next to thousands of SKUs of the cheapest foreign imitations. Probably half of their sales are from BS items - dresses, fudge, beef jerky, toys, gifts, candy, funny signs, decor, etc.

The in-store display only featured Ascend bikes - I would have recognized Mongoose or Huffy.

I think they are targeting the people that drive around the country in campers with bikes on a rack. Cabellas caters to that crowd. They legitimately need a place to buy their bike stuff.
soon enough they'll fill prescriptions... "Proscriptions" ?
Old 04-15-24, 10:01 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
As usual, once the reply count goes past 10, the snarky comments start.

I remember a discussion here years back about Cabela's fat bikes
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 04-15-24, 10:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Yes, Cabelas (which is now owned by BPS) has been selling bikes for a couple of years. They sell e-bikes (which are becoming more and more popular with hunters each year) as well as some basic mnt, recreational, and kids bikes. They are actually decent, and they stand behind them. Don't expect "enthusiast" level bikes, but better than what is found in Wally World and Target.
E-bikes are also becoming more popular with the RV crowd. I’ve seen a good deal of them while touring.
Old 04-16-24, 08:28 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Shimano is known for junk they make Tourney and below Tourney, they also make nicer things. I won't get into a deep P&R about fishing but leave them alone let them live their own lives and you can live yours. Plenty of other great outdoor activities.
That's perilously close to MYOB ! Radical approach for BF

Slagging sports big box stores is particularly popular with some segments of the shooting community - until they become close to a unique source for some products
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 04-16-24, 09:20 AM
wheelreason

Remarkably, there is no rhyme or reason to what Cabelas chooses to stock. They have thousands of SKUs of top-quality name brand made in the USA kind of stuff next to thousands of SKUs of the cheapest foreign imitations. Probably half of their sales are from BS items - dresses, fudge, beef jerky, toys, gifts, candy, funny signs, decor, etc.

I think they are targeting the people that drive around the country in campers with bikes on a rack. Cabelas caters to that crowd. They legitimately need a place to buy their bike stuff.
BPS/Cabelas does not need marketing advice from any of us, they make a lot of money by selling what sells, which is ultimatelly the goal. Johnny Morris is a very shrewd businessman.
Bikes is but a blip on their radar, but they can dabble in it with very little down side, so why not, besides bikes don't have the markups that a lot of the things they sell.
Likes For wheelreason:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.