Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any way to find a deal on Enves?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 11:06 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts

Looks like most online retailers list them at MSRP. The locals shops seem to as well, plus charge 8% tax. I'll call a shop I bought a bunch of stuff (Fatbike, Tarmac module, several parts) from this year but it is my only connection. Is anyone aware of a way to get a decent deal on a Enve 3.4 SES Disc wheel set? If not, I'll wait or maybe try to score some Zipp 303 Discs. Prefer the Enves for their tubeless capability.
Old 06-08-16, 11:10 PM
4151zero

Bikes: F8, Evil, Litespeed and a Canyon ULT CF too

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Keep looking. The 2015 non textured 3.4 clinchers are on sale everywhere online. The disc versions prolly aren't but I would ask excel or competively cyclist to match up the prices for you. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-09-16, 12:18 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
If you work at a shop that sells them, you can get a good deal. If you work for a frame builder that uses their tubing, and you get lucky, you might be lucky enough to get a set of demo hoops.
Old 06-09-16, 06:37 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ENVE is one of the companies that actually has their pricing locked down. You won't find someone blowing out huge quantities of their parts at low prices because there are neither huge quantities to blow out nor room in the margin to lower the price. Distributor costs aren't that much lower than retail, so discounting ENVE products leaves nothing for the seller.
Old 06-09-16, 06:51 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Looks like most online retailers list them at MSRP. The locals shops seem to as well, plus charge 8% tax. I'll call a shop I bought a bunch of stuff (Fatbike, Tarmac module, several parts) from this year but it is my only connection. Is anyone aware of a way to get a decent deal on a Enve 3.4 SES Disc wheel set? If not, I'll wait or maybe try to score some Zipp 303 Discs. Prefer the Enves for their tubeless capability.
There is a group on Facebook called "Online Swap Meet".

There's a guy selling a new set that he won in a raffle.
Old 06-09-16, 06:58 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't asked around yet, but can rims be purchased not built up from anywhere?

I'm also liking the 3.4 SES, but would prefer to build my own.
Old 06-09-16, 07:26 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by andr0id
I haven't asked around yet, but can rims be purchased not built up from anywhere?

I'm also liking the 3.4 SES, but would prefer to build my own.
Enve hoops are distributed by QBP, so your LBS should be able to order them for you. It wouldn't surprise me if they quote you a price of about $1000 per hoop

Last edited by noodle soup; 06-09-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 07:45 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Thanks guys. I hear that the way it works is...you get a much bigger discount on hoops and wheels if you order 5 wheel sets to stock per year. Apparently there are tiers. Anyway, if the shop does not do that, the margin is much lower. Thanks for that FB group, 69chevy. I checked it and those are non-disc but I'll keep looking. I only wanted the Enves since they are tubeless compatible but I'll look for Zipps as well now. I also bet that there is a chance the next version of Zipps will be tubeless compatible. I'll keep looking and if I hear of set in stock locally, I'll make them an offer.
Old 06-09-16, 08:19 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Enve hoops are distributed by QBP, so your LBS should be able to order them for you. It wouldn't surprise me if they quote you a price of about $1000 per hoop
Yep I got quoted $1100.00 each.
Old 06-09-16, 08:31 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by spdracr39
Yep I got quoted $1100.00 each.
CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com has them for $975
Old 06-09-16, 02:23 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Bike Tires Direct has them on sale now at 15% off.

J.
Old 06-09-16, 02:28 PM
Chandne

Thanks John. The one I want (3.4 SES Disc clincher with DT240) is the only one out of stock, of course.
Old 06-09-16, 02:39 PM
JohnJ80

Thanks John. The one I want (3.4 SES Disc clincher with DT240) is the only one out of stock, of course.

find it somewhere else and do a price match. Most of them do that.

If I were you, I'd hold out for the disc tubular when they have it anyhow.

J.
Old 06-09-16, 02:57 PM
Chandne

Cool, will try. I'll stick with clinchers. Never done tubs and really don't want to mess with glue. Not sure I know anyone except a few racers who use tubs (and they are too fast for me to ride with).
Old 06-09-16, 03:25 PM
JohnJ80

Cool, will try. I'll stick with clinchers. Never done tubs and really don't want to mess with glue. Not sure I know anyone except a few racers who use tubs (and they are too fast for me to ride with).
Don't use glue anymore, use tape. No more difficult to fix a flat than with clinchers and (at least in my case) I get far fewer flats. Seriously - it's not hard and the ride quality is top notch. I don't carry a spare because I get maybe one flat a year (last year it was zero). The last three tires I've worn out had zero flats.

I was just looking at this the other day. I can have build, through Excel Sports, a tubular aluminum wheel set on HED Belgium C2 rims, Aerolite spokes, and DT240S hubs that comes in at 1443 grams for around $900. The wheels you are looking for from Enve in clincher are 1439g and go for $2900. I have the old Enve carbon wheels and those were 1160g in the 3.3 classic. The new 3.4 SES in tubular (rim) comes in at 1320g and are $2700. It's a bit upsetting to me that the new style Enve wheels gained about 200g (half a pound is a lot). You're looking at a lot of money to save 4 grams.

Clincher rims are inherently heavier than a tubular rim. Tubeless tubulars weigh about the same as a clincher tire and you don't need an inner tube. So you are saving another 100g per wheel on the tube. I did notice that the Schwalbe one tubeless clincher is lighter than a tubular at about 225g but you'd still have the heavier rim and you have the mess that goes with tubeless clinchers (i.e. sealant lose in an open tire if you break the bead).

I love Enve but I'm not optimistic about what Mavic is going to do to them. But I will tell you that I love my Enve 3.3 classics though. Fast and light and great in the hills. They are bullet proof and I'm not a lightweight rider. 5000 miles on mine and not a single problem. Mine are built around the 240's too which is an awesome hub.

J.
Old 06-09-16, 03:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yep, the shop I talked to can get them for $999 per rim.
Old 06-09-16, 03:35 PM
Chandne

You're definitely making me think, though I don't see a 3.4 SES tubular option at Bikesdirect anyway. The tape sounds like a pretty easy setup, though I suppose glue isn't bad once you have done it a few times. I'm looking for stiff all-rounders that climb well. I started with the 2.2s but read several reviews where people were getting brake rub. Not that I have rim brakes but it concerned me...I want stiff climbing wheels, especially if I spend that much money. Building light alloy wheels means I may give up on stiffness. I probably overthink all this a bit.
Old 06-09-16, 03:41 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Have you checked eBay?
Old 06-09-16, 03:44 PM
Chandne

Yeah, first place I went to. I also contacted a shop through there. Sometimes, I guess it pays to just wait and be ready to jump on a deal. I'll plan on that, if I cant find a suitable one right now.
Old 06-09-16, 03:57 PM
JohnJ80

You're definitely making me think, though I don't see a 3.4 SES tubular option at Bikesdirect anyway. The tape sounds like a pretty easy setup, though I suppose glue isn't bad once you have done it a few times. I'm looking for stiff all-rounders that climb well. I started with the 2.2s but read several reviews where people were getting brake rub. Not that I have rim brakes but it concerned me...I want stiff climbing wheels, especially if I spend that much money. Building light alloy wheels means I may give up on stiffness. I probably overthink all this a bit.
Those wheels I described (HED Belgium C2s) are stiff. They are probably stiffer laterally than the Enve wheels I have.

Enve doesn't make a tubular disc wheelset yet in the 3.4. You'd have to build that yourself or have someone like Excel build them for you (don't know if they make a tubular 3.4 SES rim yet). I guess my point was that if you are looking at the 3.4 SES in a disc clincher, you could get the same weight in a very stiff wheel for a whole lot less money if you went tubular. If you are primarily dealing with climbing then that negates the aero advantage of the Enve rims unless you are one fast climber.

In general, I don't think the carbon clinchers are there yet in weight. So I think that if weight is your primary concern, there are other ways to address that. I wanted light wheels and I wanted safer wheels after I had had a clincher blow out with a slashed side wall, peel off the rim and jam up in the frame (fortunately, a rear wheel). That is just a vanishingly small probability of happening with a tubular due to the adhesive connection to the rim that persists even though the pressure in the tire is gone.

What I did not expect was to virtually eliminate flats. I get at most one flat a year in about 3000 miles of riding. Before that, I used to get 6-8 flats per year with less mileage. I think that tubeless clinchers would be better than standard clinchers but don't see them being as good as tubulars.

So, for the money and looking at weight, it's kind of a no brainer.

J.
Old 06-09-16, 04:34 PM
Chandne

ENVE's strict pricing policies prevent retailers form discounting them unless you're on a race team or shop employee or something. Same applies at Biketiresdirect. Anyway, thanks for the info, John. I'll call Excel and chat with them- they are somewhat local to me, and I go to Boulder often.
Old 06-09-16, 05:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
ENVE's strict pricing policies prevent retailers form discounting them unless you're on a race team or shop employee or something. Same applies at Biketiresdirect.
I get annoyed with BTD. When I do searches they always pop up saying they have the lowest prices. Yeah lowest, which is the same as everybody else!
Old 06-10-16, 09:09 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I get annoyed with BTD. When I do searches they always pop up saying they have the lowest prices. Yeah lowest, which is the same as everybody else!
When they have a sale (which is often and can be very short) they can be lower than anyone else. I've gotten some spectacular deals from them. Best way to track what they offer is to be on their mail list.

J.