Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you ride in strong wind?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 10:36 PM
cyberphat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

The forecast calls for strong wind tomorrow with gust up to 90Km/Hr (55MPH). Should I drive to work? How hard does the wind have to blow before you would find alternate mode of transportation?

Thanks,

Last edited by cyberphat; 11-17-09 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 10:44 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you on the west coast?

for me, with current wind warnings of 50-70km/h winds hasn't stopped me riding yet. only thing I've changed is leaving bit earlier to compensate the wind slowing me down.
Side winds moving you around especially in traffic isnt nice. So I stick solely to the MUP or quite streets.
Old 11-17-09, 10:49 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in whatever elements mother nature throws my way. It is what it is...just leave earlier than normal in bad conditions.
Old 11-17-09, 11:20 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strong headwind this morning. Just put my head down and grinded it out. Felt like riding uphill, but the cool November air was envigorating!
Old 11-17-09, 11:22 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find riding in strong wind fun, if anything. Take care though - 90kph is pretty fast, and all sorts of stuff can get blown at you.
Old 11-17-09, 11:24 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is a tailwind that would be sweet!!!!!
Old 11-18-09, 12:42 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I loathe the wind, seems it is always in my face. I see it as a better workout, but would rather ride in hail than headwinds.
Old 11-18-09, 01:25 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Use some sense

Well, I'm as tough as the next person and I've ridden in gale force winds but my commute goes along a route with a lot of trees and the last thing I want it to have a tree branch, or the whole tree, blow down on top of me. So, if I start seeing things blowing around I take the bus (pretty much my entire commute is on a bus route and the buses all have bicycle racks).

Aloha, - John
Old 11-18-09, 01:33 AM
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 55mph side wind could blow you dangerously offline. Your call.

I don't generally cuss, but when I ride alone into a gusting headwind I cuss non-stop.
Old 11-18-09, 02:10 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by LesMcLuffAlot
A 55mph side wind could blow you dangerously offline. Your call.

I don't generally cuss, but when I ride alone into a gusting headwind I cuss non-stop.
During those side gusts, I completely agree. You think you are about to loose it.. I pretty much don't ride above 50 mph winds.. But, sometimes it's happened that winds grew stronger mid -ride..
Once I even had to walk the bike about 2 miles, to get home; since it felt so dangerous.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 11-18-09, 02:27 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm out of money at the moment, so I don't really have a choice
Old 11-18-09, 02:30 AM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Portland, we have had some good winds in the last few days, and some more to come. Its gusting to 33mph, that is hard enough, it is kind of fun, for a little while. That was 90% head winds, it was about 20mph side winds, and I wouldn't want to ride in 50mph side winds, or head winds. Though is would be fun to try one day on a MUP.

Best times in the wind are when I look at the computer and it read 27-30mph, and I'm pedaling like I'm cruising at 17mph, love the tail winds. I just have to remember to brake sooner before a turn.
Old 11-18-09, 03:45 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If there is a lot of side wind then I take the lane. Doesn't matter if I am only going at 10mph. Don't want to risk being blown into the side / path of a car.

Take care.
Old 11-18-09, 04:01 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm also in the Portland Oregon Metro area...

I had a wonderful ride on Monday night... 50mph tailwind blowing me home!!!

Headwinds are another story... Cycle Jefferson (Oregon) 2009, day one, had us climb out of Medford up to the Siskiyou summit, and down into southern Jefferson State (Yes, there is a Jefferson State... I should know, I'm a NATIVE of Jefferson State). The whole way into Yreka was into a 31+ steady headwind with gusts. I made it all but the last 7 miles (which was caused by a problem with the Glycos(sp?) drink that we were given on the lunch stop). We were often going into headwinds on that trip, but I managed to ride each day, completing the legs and pulling off 401 miles during the week.

If it's a headwind, plan on taking a lot longer than usual.

All the Best!
K'Tesh
Old 11-18-09, 06:52 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden in gusts to 60mph. No fun in it for me. That said, I'll ride in what Mother Nature throws my way, but doesn't mean I always like it.

-R
Old 11-18-09, 06:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I often commute on days when winds are gusting to 30-35 mph. However, I wouldn't ride in 50+ mph winds if I could help it. I don't think that would be safe.

Riding in windy weather is tough. A lot of my cycling friends just won't show up for group rides on windy days. However, with a decent paceline you can minimize the effects quite a bit. It is brutal riding solo or taking a pull on really windy days. One of the toughest rides I ever did was a bike tour in Wisconsin when we had to ride about 80 miles into a strong headwind on the final day.
Old 11-18-09, 06:59 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is 25 miles each way so in winds that high, I drive. I've done it but I'm so wiped that it just isn't worth it. Especially on sub zero F. temps...no way.
Old 11-18-09, 07:07 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've ridden in some pretty wicked winds. It's the kind of thing that is total fun some of the time, and distinctly no fun some of the time, but when it's all over you remember it all as fun.

I don't let wind alone stop me from riding, but faced with the combination of hard rain and strong wind, well, I might decide to work from home that day.
Old 11-18-09, 07:18 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in the Army, a friend and I found our selves riding during a tornado. If we had known we were riding in a tornado we would have been scared silly.

Like a couple of others here, I ride in whatever weather is on the other side of the door.
Old 11-18-09, 08:10 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Commuting isn't a pecker size contest. You do what feels the safest and most comfortable for you.

If anyone wants to worry about pecker size, whip it out, put it in my hand and I'll show you something you have never seen before...

...the other end
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-18-09, 08:38 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To me it depends on how much the wind is gusting. A stable wind can be compensated for, even if its coming from the side, but 50 mph is REALLY blowing. If there are any verticle eddies it could make you feel like it is picking you up and your probability of crashing will go up significantly. Personally, I wouldn't do it if I knew what I was getting into, but I rarely check the weather anymore, so I pretty much just ride in whatever is happening that day. Still, go get in your car, get up to 50 and then stick your arm out the window. THAT is some serious wind.
Old 11-18-09, 08:56 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden in 35 mph winds before and enjoyed it. But it did feel a bit unsafe, because of the large trees all along my ride that were really blowing and all the debris that was falling. I doubt I'd ride in 50 mph winds.
Old 11-18-09, 09:35 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 116 Posts
I live in South Dakota. We call 50+ mph winds "Tuesday."

But +1 on what Chipcom says. This isn't a contest. If you don't feel comfortable, don't ride.
Old 11-18-09, 09:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberphat
Hi,

The forecast calls for strong wind tomorrow with gust up to 90Km/Hr (55MPH). Should I drive to work? How hard does the wind have to blow before you would find alternate mode of transportation?

Thanks,
I got blasted by an 80 mph gust (headwind) once on the way to work. The boulders that kind of wind kicks up leave permanent scars

We regularly have winds in the 50 mph range. Sometimes a headwind, sometimes a tailwind. You just kind of deal with it. The nice thing about having high winds on a regular basis is that it weeds out the stuff that can blow around. Trees, roofs, trash cans, cars, small dog, etc. tend to get blown away so you don't have to worry too much about blowing debris.

YMMV Ride if you feel safe. Don't ride if you don't.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-09, 10:38 AM
JimJimex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40mph is my absolute cut off point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.