Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 12:04 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Hi from Chicago

i joined this site a while ago but did not ever make an intro thread.

a little over a year ago i moved to chicago from cincinnati. in cincinnati, I rode occasionally to give my knee a break from running. since moving to chicago, I have gone carless and dedicate a significant portion of my apartment’s limited floorspace to bicycle parking. cycling has become both my primary form of transportation and exercise. it is part of my everyday life and now even part of my character. i enjoy being on a bicycle; I enjoy talking cycling; I enjoy being around bicycles. i keep up on the latest trends and am excited as I read about each progression of their design. i ride year round, and about 100 miles a week between errands and road biking lakefront trail for exercise.

lakefront trail is one of my favorite parts about chicago. i wish that one building that went up before they closed the loophole didn't exist. it's not even a good looking building. right now lakefront trail is in a strange state of disrepair. all these cement barriers randomly block the path, but everyone picks their bikes up and continues past them. riding through grant park is a blast as well. i used to ride up and down the stairs, but have since learned that is terrible for the wheels of your bike. some of the kids do it, but they have bmx bikes with giant wheels.

outside of grant park and lakefront trail, ripping through downtown traffic is a blast. with the congestion, a cyclist is much faster than a car. i do not run red lights like some of the cyclists, though i don't judge them either. there is enough to keep in mind in order to stay alive without ignoring traffic signals. actually i kind of judge them, because they give us other cyclists a bad name. oh well. i'm not perfect either. i do not stop at stop signs. it's too much work. instead i do the rolling stop. most cars wave you through anyway. and if they don't, i go slow enough that they get to go first.

i've only been doored once. it was actually a door opening from the left, which i hadn't thought of to look out for (she was exiting an uber in stopped traffic). the woman was very apologetic and luckily all i got was a bruised hand. i told her to be more careful going forward and we parted ways. i've made mistakes myself. once i nicked a pedestrian because i was looking at my gps and didn't notice the light had turned red. i got way more hurt than him. i noticed in time to swerve and break a little, but wen't over my handle bars at about 15mph. still have all my teeth. i left the scene with blood pouring out of my mouth. they could not believe i was getting back on my bike instead of calling for help. i had taken a few minutes to make sure shock had not disguised any serious injuries. i've also hit plenty of mirrors. thank goodness for whoever came up with the design where they fold instead of break off. so i don't sweat mistakes as long as no one gets seriously hurt, and so far i've been fortunate to be able to ride away from all incidents.

this forum has been a huge help to me as i get further into the hobby. i am now at the point where i would like to work for a bike shop. not necessarily as a mechanic, as although i can change a flat, adjust shifting cable tension, and a few other basics, i am no professional mechanic. that said, i love bicycles. similar to how my photography hobby is not only about taking pictures, but also an interest in the cameras themselves. i would be great at matching up customers with bicycles that fit their needs and budget.

most of my career experience in marketing comms, but i am hoping to work the sales floor of a bike shop part-time (leaving me enough time to do freelance marketing comms gigs to pay the stupid expensive chicago rent). this would be a great way to meet other cyclists in real life.

if anyone has advice about how to get hired by a bike shop, i'm all ears. i have been applying like crazy, and even had some good interviews, but apparently bike sales is a desired position. (as stated) i'm in chicago, if you know of a shop that might be willing to hire me. my work ethic is outstanding and i am passionate about cycling and bicycles.

i'd mention the three bicycles i own, but it displays next to my profile name in all my posts. even though the '92 multitrack is the cheapest, i feel it has the most soul. the fx 4 is so nice, but hydroformed aluminum doesn't quite have the character of a steel frame.

glad to be part of this forum!

best,

eric

Last edited by denada; 03-16-20 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 04:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 03-16-20, 07:03 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Glad to meetcha!
Old 03-19-20, 03:58 AM
klaustukas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome !
Old 03-20-20, 09:39 AM
designengine

Bikes: hundreds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I doored someone once like an idiot.....I got in my truck and realized my keys were in my pocket. I opened the door w/o looking to get my keys out of my pocket.... Dude. Ill never let that happen again. And I am an avid biker.... so dumb. ' They were dressed in a suit riding their bike too. Luckily they were not hurt nor did they tear a hole in their suit.

Im from GA but live in Chicago
'
Bart Brejcha
Design-engine.com

Last edited by designengine; 03-20-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:29 PM
nhatt97

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome

Welcome to the forum. Cant believe youve been doored before. Hoping to never experience that myself!
Old 04-03-20, 10:11 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
^it wasn't as bad as some of them i've heard about. i didn't have anywhere to swerve because there were cars on both sides, but i saw that it was going to happen and due to dirt biking knew how to use both the front and rear break as much as possible without having the bike slide out. i got away with nothing more than a very bruised, but not even broken, hand. it hurt enough to teach me. if you don't have enough space to ride outside the door zone on both sides, you cannot safely go over 10mph. in those rare situations where you're between two lines of cars, don't go any faster than you're willing to hit a door at. i'm willing to bruise. not willing to break bones or get brain damage.

i mentioned it in my first post, but i've been an idiot too. hitting a pedestrian. another lucky chance to learn. they didn't get hurt. i did but not permanently. and now i'm way more aware of how people stepping off the sidewalk a few moments before their signal turns green is different when your biking versus driving. because even though cars rush through yellows that are really red, they do it in the center of the lane. on a bike, you're way over to the right so pedestrians don't have that space they're expecting. so rushing a yellow on a bike is full of pitfalls. move over to the left, a car doing the same will run you over. stay to the right, you're going to run over an eager pedestrian.

where in georgia? i love savannah. rode my buddy's yamaha enduro around town there. so much fun.

Last edited by denada; 04-03-20 at 10:16 PM.