Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Build or just Buy

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Build or just Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 08:41 AM
Fleetdog

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build or just Buy

I've decided I'd like to have a SS/Fix flip flop bike but I'm not sure what my best option will be. I could go the easy route and just get a Dawes SST for $330 or I could go to a local shop here and get a used Schwinn road frame that comes with brakes, headset, stem, and BB for $50 and build from there. All those components are used and possibly in need of replacement or repair. Here's what I'm thinking for the build up:

Supercross plaid saddle $25
seatpost $15
Nashbar bull horns $20
Nashbar TT brake levers $25
Origin8 or Pake crankset $60
Formula Weinmann DP18 Wheelset $160
Freewheel $25 (for comparison sake, I'd need to add a track cog/lockring later to the Dawes also)
chain $15
grip tape $12
brake cable $10
tires $70
tubes $10
Crank Bros pedals I already own.

The build comes to a grand total of about $500

The big difference is that with the build I can go slowly and spread out my costs so I'm not dropping more than $200 at any one time. But I do realize I'm not looking at top of the line parts here so my question is if I did this build would I wind up with a bike that is at least on par with the Dawes or slightly better? I think spreading out the cost and being able to pick and choose the parts would be worth the price difference to me if I wind up with at least as good of a product in the end.

Last edited by Fleetdog; 06-30-08 at 09:00 AM. Reason: I entered the wrong wheelset the first time.
Old 06-30-08, 09:19 AM
ctfinnigan

Bikes: Trek 330 conversion 44/15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't really say one would be better than the other, because I'm not at all familiar with the Dawes, but I can say that building a bike piece-by-piece can be extremely rewarding if you are riding it all the way through. It's nice to complain about part-x and finally get enough money to replace it with a brand new component that runs smoothly and quietly and is lighter and oh-so shiney.
I'd say build it up yourself. Especially if you're going to actually be doing the mech. stuff yourself.
Old 06-30-08, 04:47 PM
bornagainst

Bikes: 2005 Surly Steamroller, 2003 Surly Pacer, 2009 Surly LHT, 2010 Surly LHT, 2007 Surly CrossCheck, 1988 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say buy an off the peg bike for that price rather than building one. Do you have the tools and know how to build a bike? And you can almost definitely bump that $500 up 'cause it never seems to cost what you think it will. I built a new bike over the winter and while it was an awesome experience and I actually saved a ton of money over buying stuff from an LBS(I shop the internet), I kinda wish I would have just bought something complete and then changed out the components as needed or as I could afford to. I love my bike now, and it's exactly the way I want it, but it was a PITA for a few months and I always hated seeing it only partially finished. Just my .02.
Old 06-30-08, 06:21 PM
FarAwayBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sure.
A build is always gonna cost way more than you think.
Though I recently built up an old Raleigh frame for around 300 dollars.
It helps though that I have a friend who works at a bike shop so little parts like stems and cogs and what have you I got for free.
Old 06-30-08, 06:32 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can buy an off the shelf really nice (Raleigh) fixed gear bike for $450 at the LBS. That said, I spent nearly $800 building my own. If you want the standard stuff, then buy a ready made bike. If you want long/short cranks, long/short stem, certain saddle, and a certain gear ratio, then have it built yourself.
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
If you know how to wrench and have the tools, then go with the conversion route. That's what most with tools and skills would do.
daybreak
freelance gangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it seems as if it will be almost 2x cost effective to just buy the dawes SST. It will cost you well over $500 in the end for reasons already mentioned. You can buy the SST and use the $170 price difference to buy yourself those DP18s you want. Then sell the Alex R500s and have some money left over to buy other parts as you see fit.

The logic that you'll be spending money here and there while building a bike as opposed to spending a chunk of cash at once for a complete bike doesn't make much sense to me, considering you'll have to spend a chunk of change before you can even ride your bike build.
Old 06-30-08, 06:34 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build it. Hands down. Nothing more rewarding. Look at what everyone says "BUY COMPLETE". But look at what everyone does "BUILT MY OWN". Why because its YOUR CREATION. its real. you know exactly what is in it, and exactly what it can do. and everything will be adjusted to best possible degree.

If you are already thinking about it you're gonna do it anyway. Get it out of your system now (that its cheap), rather than later (when you know more and want to build the "best" road bike ever!)

Dowsides are: if its your first time you will have some self doubt, and wonder if you got it right or this is adjusted properly or not.

It costs a little more.

you want it done fast, but you have to wait.
Old 06-30-08, 06:37 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDe5Ckt4joQ
Old 06-30-08, 06:41 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to a yard sale and buy a really nice frame for $15. Then you'll be at one with the frame for life. Components and wheels will seem insignificant after that.
Old 06-30-08, 06:47 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
The difference in cost is irrelevant for most who love to wrench.
Old 06-30-08, 06:56 PM
legstwelve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have access to a decent set of tools and workstand then build it yourself. Just remember if it's an older bike you're probably going to need 2 sets of tools, one lot for taking off older style components and another for putting on newer parts. i.e. cotterless / octalink cranks.
Old 06-30-08, 07:04 PM
FarAwayBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha.
Whenever I encounter cotterless cranks I just leave those bad boys on.
They are SUCH a pain to get off.
Old 06-30-08, 11:09 PM
bornagainst

Bikes: 2005 Surly Steamroller, 2003 Surly Pacer, 2009 Surly LHT, 2010 Surly LHT, 2007 Surly CrossCheck, 1988 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
The difference in cost is irrelevant for most who love to wrench.
Agreed. But then there are those who only want to ride and know nothing about how their bike actually works or how to fix/adjust anything and would much rather pay their LBS to do it all for them. And tools, if you don't have them, could easily add up to the cost of a new bike and beyond - at least for the good stuff. I'd much rather see everyone riding around on bikes that they built with their own two hands than all the bone stock rides I see now but the reality is that the majority of bikers lack the ability/time/desire to do such. I still say that, considering the parts you listed for your potential build, you're better off buying a new bike and saving the $$$. Why waste the time and money building an entry level bike when there are more than a handful of companies selling new bikes in your price range(unless you truly do love to wrench)?
Old 06-30-08, 11:24 PM
Ghaurok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who first started with converting an old road bike (posted somewhere in the photo thread) and now recently bought a BD track bike, I say spend $300-350 on a cheapo complete off the internet bike, and then use the other $200 to buy tools and upgrades. Just because you bought a complete bike doesn't mean you can't take it apart to get a better understanding of it (and probably grease up the parts that they may have missed).
Old 06-30-08, 11:31 PM
neverjared
Rarely Insightful

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a bike shop. Everyday kids come in with their conversion projects dumping more and more money into them and then regretting it later when they realized they could have started with something nicer on the cheap and upgraded components as they went.

Just sayin'
Old 06-30-08, 11:44 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
can't add any new input that hasn't already been brought up, but if you have the means (e.g., enough finances, enough space in your apt/house), the perfect solution is to do both. get that dawes for cheap, and that'll get you out on the road riding right away. but also start looking for that classic frame you want to build up as a project. it'll take longer and cost more money eventually, but like you said, you only spend a bit at a time. this way you get to ride right away and you get the rewarding experience of building your own. best of both worlds.
Old 07-01-08, 12:02 AM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
can't add any new input that hasn't already been brought up, but if you have the means (e.g., enough finances, enough space in your apt/house), the perfect solution is to do both. get that dawes for cheap, and that'll get you out on the road riding right away. but also start looking for that classic frame you want to build up as a project. it'll take longer and cost more money eventually, but like you said, you only spend a bit at a time. this way you get to ride right away and you get the rewarding experience of building your own. best of both worlds.
Or you could do that!

but then you'll have two bikes....which is a gateway that leads to another sad condition which requires you to have the correct number of bikes. Actually there is a formula to find the exact amount of bikes one should own.

anyone know it?
Old 07-01-08, 12:07 AM
Ghaurok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X+1 is how many bikes you should own, with X being your current ammount of bikes.
Old 07-01-08, 04:35 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghaurok
X+1 is how many bikes you should own, with X being your current ammount of bikes.
This is so very true but if you start lurking on the Classic and Vintage board the formula is X^2 + 2X + 1 = frames hiding in the attic and one full garage.

Buying a bike will be cheaper.

My conversions cost ~A LOT or so. I never get the cheapest of anything; buying stuff a part at a time lets you rationalize spending a little extra here, a little more there. Pretty soon, that budget is blown and you've got an expensive but cool-looking/running bike.

Now, if you have gobs of time and are able to go yard-sailing for weeks and months on end to find bikes that you can use for frames and parts, you can do a conversion cheap. But these days, every Tom, Dick and Harry is doing this to flip bikes on eBay to ignorant hipsters and wanna-be commuters. So prices are going up on the used bikes, too.

$200 on Sun CR-18 rims, Formula hubs, DT Swiss spokes
$50 on tires
$10 on tubes
$4 on rim tape
$45 on brakes
$14 on brake levers
$80 on crankset
$36 on chainring
$46 on cog
$10 on lockring
$14 on chain
$30 on handlebars
$70 on saddle
$15 on seatpost
$90 on old Raleigh bike
$40 on primer, paint
$35 stem

= $789

Before LINK
More AFTER PICS

It was a lot of fun to build and the bike rides well and is dead silent but for that kind of cash you can get a brand new bike with great components and still have change leftover for the PBR.
Old 07-01-08, 07:32 AM
Fleetdog

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I probably should have mentioned from the start that I do already have a bike. I have a Gary Fisher Wingra that I ride to work almost everyday. It's a 24 speed hybrid that I've added fenders, rack, and paniers to. I definitely love riding it, but now I want a bike at the other end of the spectrum.

I'm still undecided but I'm going to give that frame closer look this morning.
Old 07-01-08, 08:00 AM
Ride Among Us
Don't Hate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also just buy somebody's custom bike off eBay. Someone who already dropped a ton of cash into it. You'll get the upgrades and new parts you want. Bikes on eBay routinely only fetch 50% of their real value. You just have to be patient and open minded about trying something different. I have never bought an off-the-shelf bike totally built. But if I did, I would still swap out wheels and other parts anyways.

edit: here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Add up the Phils wheelset, frame, crankset, brooks saddle, bars, etc and then look at the price you can get this awesome bike for: https://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Di-Bernardi...ayphotohosting

Last edited by Ride Among Us; 07-01-08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 10:01 AM
pbr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it only costs about $50 - $100 for a bike build. You could buy all the parts and just have them slap em' on if you dont have tools. Its cool to do it part by part. The problem is by the time the bike is done the parts are already wearing. You already beat up your wheels, lost tread in your tires, chain starts to stretch. Then you get the itch and you wanna get these other drop bars because they are .00000001 mm wider or something stupid like that.

Build it all at once and ride it till the wheels fall off.
Old 07-01-08, 11:03 AM
SheistyMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride Among Us
edit: here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Add up the Phils wheelset, frame, crankset, brooks saddle, bars, etc and then look at the price you can get this awesome bike for: https://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Di-Bernardi...ayphotohosting
"Reserve not met"
Old 07-01-08, 01:14 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neverjared
I work at a bike shop. Everyday kids come in with their conversion projects dumping more and more money into them and then regretting it later when they realized they could have started with something nicer on the cheap and upgraded components as they went.

Just sayin'
This.

I started off this way. Picked up a crappy bike with a half-decent frame. Ripped all the old parts off, found most of the un-usable, shopped around for a set of fixed wheels, realized that even my basic Alex DA28s and formula hubs severely outclassed the frame, ended up putting together an entirely over-priced IRO build myself.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun bike and I enjoyed putting it together, but money-wise it was a bad series of decisions, and bad monetary decisions tend to stick to the back of my mind. YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.