Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Carradice Super-C Barley

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 08:23 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carradice Super-C Barley

FYI, there is a new model of saddle bag from Carradice. It's the same size and shape as the Barley, but it is built in the style of the Super-C. There is an internal zippered pocket and two smaller pockets with snap closures. It has plastic clips and nylon straps. The top is form fitting.

I just bought one from Peter White Cycles. https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

Mounted it on my long distance bike and tried it out today. I'm happy.

Edit: Mine has white reflective stripes. The regular Super-C in the picture has red reflective stripes.

Last edited by squeakywheel; 07-04-08 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-05-08, 11:41 PM
drewcifer
la rapet

Bikes: 80s specialized expedition, soma rush

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really want a pendle
Old 07-06-08, 01:05 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, a Pendle would be dragging on my back wheel. I'd have to have a rack to support it. My bag is 2 1/2 inches above the tire just hanging from the saddle. No other support.

I mounted the Super-C Barley on a racing style saddle by fitting a 4 3/4 inch piece of wood on the saddle rails. The piece of wood has slots I cut in it where it meets the rails. The bags leather straps wrap around the piece of wood.
Old 07-07-08, 04:18 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still doing the shake-down on the new bag. Loaded it down more today and commuted to work. Fully loaded, I felt like the interference with my thighs on the downstroke was a little too much. I'm thinking of ways to keep the bottom of the bag farther back away from the seatpost.

Best idea I've come up with is a 4 inch long plastic tube. I'll cope one end to fit against the seatpost. Then tie the bag's seatpost strap slot to the seatpost through the plastic tube using a small rope. That should hold the bottom of the bag 4 inches behind the seatpost. In that position, the side pockets will be vertical.
Old 07-10-08, 06:21 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
Still doing the shake-down on the new bag. Loaded it down more today and commuted to work. Fully loaded, I felt like the interference with my thighs on the downstroke was a little too much. I'm thinking of ways to keep the bottom of the bag farther back away from the seatpost.

Best idea I've come up with is a 4 inch long plastic tube. I'll cope one end to fit against the seatpost. Then tie the bag's seatpost strap slot to the seatpost through the plastic tube using a small rope. That should hold the bottom of the bag 4 inches behind the seatpost. In that position, the side pockets will be vertical.
check out the carradice hacks page @ wallbike.com for ideas on hanging the bag / spacing it off the seat post a bit.

i just took delivery of a barley (traditional) and a camper long flap. i'm using a bagman with the camper and decided to order one for the barley...
Old 07-10-08, 06:46 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an idea, wouldn't a pair of lines from saddle rails to ends of brake bridge adequately space out the bag without adding weight?
Old 07-14-08, 04:04 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
check out the carradice hacks page @ wallbike.com for ideas on hanging the bag / spacing it off the seat post a bit.

i just took delivery of a barley (traditional) and a camper long flap. i'm using a bagman with the camper and decided to order one for the barley...
Thanks for pointing out the hacks page. I don't remember seeing that before, but probably I have. My plastic tube idea is listed there. I implemented that this weekend. I used a 2 inch long cut-off piece of a graphite golf club shaft (handle end).
Old 07-18-08, 10:04 PM
drewcifer
la rapet

Bikes: 80s specialized expedition, soma rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could you post a picture squeekywheel?

is it big enough to hold everything needed for a 600k brevet? is it too big?