Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 08-17-22, 06:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Agreed. DA is the way to go.

Check out njs-export for lightly used DA cogs and chainrings. Generally the best bargain around for getting started.
Old 08-21-22, 05:01 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hi everyone, hope you're all healthy and having a good summertime. I haven't been on here since covid hit (it hit us pretty hard, I stopped track cycling and am just starting up again, after getting back out on the road and building some basic fitness this year).

I'm starting to learn about Team Sprint for masters, wondering if there is a gear ratio/inches reference doc to review with examples of gearing used for different masters teams for Man 1, Man 2, Man 3 (realizing that ultimately gearing is personalized, but good to see examples from different masters setups).

For flying 200, before I took a hiatus, I was comfortable using 108" for qualifying and 102" for match sprints, but for sure lots to learn, practice, improve, and gearing is subject to change over time. But that's where I left off.

I'm thinking Man 1 may be geared a little lower than Man 2 and 3, because he has to get up to speed slightly quicker and is leading, then Man 2 and Man 3 benefit from his draft, so I'm guessing a slightly higher gearing could be used for 2 and 3. Power levels and cadence that you're comfortable with at a given speed can vary, so those and other factors contribute to gearing choices no doubt.

From your firsthand experience, what do you tend to see for gear-inches for Man 1, 2, 3?

And are there any reference docs online that you would recommend I review?

Thank you, much appreciated.

P.S. I have front + rear disc wheels from pursuit, any reason why I shouldn't use those for Team Sprint (indoors)?
Old 08-22-22, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

Hey Super D, I think the answer is: It depends.

You want to look more at your Kilo and 500TT gearing than your F200 gearing.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-22-22, 02:48 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Hey Super D, I think the answer is: It depends.

You want to look more at your Kilo and 500TT gearing than your F200 gearing.
I ran 102" on 500TT, felt like it wasn't enough, but have to do some testing to dial it in for team sprint (and not exactly sure which position I should be for TS, have to test that as well).
Old 09-01-22, 10:51 AM
RobertPaulson

Bikes: Dolan DF4, Tarmac SL7

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
Hi everyone, hope you're all healthy and having a good summertime. I haven't been on here since covid hit (it hit us pretty hard, I stopped track cycling and am just starting up again, after getting back out on the road and building some basic fitness this year).

I'm starting to learn about Team Sprint for masters, wondering if there is a gear ratio/inches reference doc to review with examples of gearing used for different masters teams for Man 1, Man 2, Man 3 (realizing that ultimately gearing is personalized, but good to see examples from different masters setups).

For flying 200, before I took a hiatus, I was comfortable using 108" for qualifying and 102" for match sprints, but for sure lots to learn, practice, improve, and gearing is subject to change over time. But that's where I left off.

I'm thinking Man 1 may be geared a little lower than Man 2 and 3, because he has to get up to speed slightly quicker and is leading, then Man 2 and Man 3 benefit from his draft, so I'm guessing a slightly higher gearing could be used for 2 and 3. Power levels and cadence that you're comfortable with at a given speed can vary, so those and other factors contribute to gearing choices no doubt.

From your firsthand experience, what do you tend to see for gear-inches for Man 1, 2, 3?

And are there any reference docs online that you would recommend I review?

Thank you, much appreciated.

P.S. I have front + rear disc wheels from pursuit, any reason why I shouldn't use those for Team Sprint (indoors)?
for man 1 on team sprint (think roy v b), folks are running 95-98". ryan owens was on 110" at Tokyo (to not drop kenny) and still ran a 17.5 man 1 lap.

Yes run the double discs, make sure you are comfortable with the air push as you pass (its not a major thing, but it is a thing).

man 2/3 gears, its going to depend on how fast your team is, what masters cat are you and what kind of times can everyone do?

Last edited by RobertPaulson; 09-01-22 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 10:48 PM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is SKA Velodrome in Lviv, Ukraine ok? The place looks so cool.
Old 02-15-23, 07:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Question. It's illegal to have a computer on a track bike. I assume that a heads up display on glasses is considered a computer? And finally, if not numbers, just LEDs, is that also considered a heads up display?

I don't think it'd make a huge difference for me, honestly, but I tend to give up way too quickly when I'm on a decent ride otherwise (because I feel like I'm going like 12 mph). Seeing some feedback may encourage me to keep going.

I haven't asked a proper official yet.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-15-23, 07:41 AM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Question. It's illegal to have a computer on a track bike. I assume that a heads up display on glasses is considered a computer? And finally, if not numbers, just LEDs, is that also considered a heads up display?

I don't think it'd make a huge difference for me, honestly, but I tend to give up way too quickly when I'm on a decent ride otherwise (because I feel like I'm going like 12 mph). Seeing some feedback may encourage me to keep going.

I haven't asked a proper official yet.
  • Any electronic device with display (for instance speedometer or power meter) must be attached securely, and positioned so that it cannot be read by the rider whilst in motion.
Old 02-20-23, 08:20 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by m@tty
  • Any electronic device with display (for instance speedometer or power meter) must be attached securely, and positioned so that it cannot be read by the rider whilst in motion.
I didn't realize it used the word "read". That seems to imply an LED would be illegal (like one that is green if you're over x watts). It took reading your reply for it to sink in.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-21-23, 11:55 AM
topflightpro

I've done training efforts on the track with my computer visible. I'll be honest, even with a super large screen, I had a hard time trying to read the info while going all out. I might be able to use a green/red light as an indicator, but that would probably be it.
Old 02-22-23, 02:32 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
For me, knowing that the computer can’t be visible in racing, one of the things I pay attention to in training is the feel. The feel of the speed in a F200 windup. That’s about it for me, as the rest was very much opponent based and just riding flat out. I can only assume pursuit is similar in knowing how you and the speed should feel.

I was never one to look at my computer while racing track even when I could see it, but there were riders that just couldn’t stop looking and quite often they needed a gentle yelling at because they could be downright dangerous
Old 02-24-23, 02:17 PM
carpediemracing 

I get the reason for not having a computer visible. On the track in NH no one said anything, but at the same time I never look anyway, even on my road bike. Took me a few years to realize that I was doing something wrong, so I went and figured out how to mount the computer head under my saddle. For me the power data is a recording of history, and I look at it after I'm off the bike and sitting at a desk with my computer.

The exception is when I give up doing a 500. Like the last one I did, in NH, I was disgustingly slow, I was tired, and I blew up half a lap into the thing (1.5 laps). So I sort of half heartedly pedaled the next half lap then soft pedaled the last lap, at up on the final bit, etc etc. Thought it was such a waste, so terrible, etc. Didn't even bother getting my time. I packed up my stuff so as not to hold up my carpool mate. We made the drive to his house, then me to mine (another 45 min or so). When I got home one of the texts waiting for me was "check your time". Not only did I not do that poorly, I even beat my carpool mate's time (and he's a former 1 and I thought he did a decent ride). Only one other rider beat me. Now, had I actually not sat up, I don't know how much faster I'd have gone, but I totally read things wrong. Having some feedback might help avoid that.

So, the reason this came up. I have an LED based heads up display. No numbers, just lights. It's no longer made but I have the unit sitting on the desk in front of me when I ride Zwift and got to thinking, it'd be nice to know if I was, say, holding between 800-900w or whatever (for the 500).

There is an audio component to it as well, I could wear it near my ear (normal location, just without the LED stalk in view) and it would tell me my power, but I think I'd have to prompt it to do so, so not practical.
Old 08-22-23, 12:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It's my understanding that the reason for the rule is because a rider can use it for pacing (by power, speed, cadence, whatever) which would give them an advantage over other riders who are using their coach or nothing at all.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I get the reason for not having a computer visible. On the track in NH no one said anything, but at the same time I never look anyway, even on my road bike. Took me a few years to realize that I was doing something wrong, so I went and figured out how to mount the computer head under my saddle. For me the power data is a recording of history, and I look at it after I'm off the bike and sitting at a desk with my computer.

The exception is when I give up doing a 500. Like the last one I did, in NH, I was disgustingly slow, I was tired, and I blew up half a lap into the thing (1.5 laps). So I sort of half heartedly pedaled the next half lap then soft pedaled the last lap, at up on the final bit, etc etc. Thought it was such a waste, so terrible, etc. Didn't even bother getting my time. I packed up my stuff so as not to hold up my carpool mate. We made the drive to his house, then me to mine (another 45 min or so). When I got home one of the texts waiting for me was "check your time". Not only did I not do that poorly, I even beat my carpool mate's time (and he's a former 1 and I thought he did a decent ride). Only one other rider beat me. Now, had I actually not sat up, I don't know how much faster I'd have gone, but I totally read things wrong. Having some feedback might help avoid that.

So, the reason this came up. I have an LED based heads up display. No numbers, just lights. It's no longer made but I have the unit sitting on the desk in front of me when I ride Zwift and got to thinking, it'd be nice to know if I was, say, holding between 800-900w or whatever (for the 500).

There is an audio component to it as well, I could wear it near my ear (normal location, just without the LED stalk in view) and it would tell me my power, but I think I'd have to prompt it to do so, so not practical.
Computers are a tool. It's nice to have an impartial judge to let you know if your perceived-effort is tracking correctly. I used to log and analyze nearly every warmup, effort, race, etc...for years.

Track cycling is really repetitive. You can see spot anomalies even in warmup. Your max speed in your warmup jump that you do every workout is 1mph higher than normal? You may be peaking or just hot today. HR several beats higher than normal during your normal warmup? You may be getting sick...you are probably getting sick...I'm calling it now, you are sick and just don't know it yet 😂
Old 08-22-23, 05:55 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by carleton
Track cycling is really repetitive. You can see spot anomalies even in warmup. Your max speed in your warmup jump that you do every workout is 1mph higher than normal? You may be peaking or just hot today. HR several beats higher than normal during your normal warmup? You may be getting sick...you are probably getting sick...I'm calling it now, you are sick and just don't know it yet 😂
I'm so inexperienced on the track that I have no idea. I wasn't sick, but the effort was at the end of a long day at the track, and I probably hadn't fueled properly. Thinking in font, I got up 5ish, ate a light breakfast (oatmeal, coffee, probably, since that's what I usually eat), drove 3 hours to the track, rode off and on probably 2-3 hours, and then did the 500m. I think I had one Lara bar? Maybe two Cokes? And water. It was hot, and I went hard enough that someone went and found me a rolled up kit/something to lay my head on. Took me maybe 5 to 10 minutes to catch my breath.

Regardless, now I'm learning that even if I feel like all hope is long gone and I'm going about 3.2 mph, it's still worth it to keep pushing because I vastly underestimate what I'm doing when I think I've blown up. (on the flip side, I vastly over estimate what I'm doing when I go hard, like my starts or my jumps).

I'm also starting to think that I have to approach a track day as sort of a long ride, because I must be getting weaker as the day goes on (right?). If I can level my performance throughout the day that would be a huge "gain" (or a non-loss). Thinking things like chairs so I can put my feet up, shade when it's sunny, cooler with water/Coke/electrolyte stuff?. I raced Sunday, it's Tuesday morning now, and I still feel really depleted. I'm still almost 6 lbs lighter than I was on Sunday morning. And the feeling of depletion isn't that I'm hungry, it's I'm craving some kind of food that I don't know what it is. Water isn't doing it, and I almost never drink electrolyte stuff (my legs seem to cramp pretty quickly when I do, like within 10-15 minutes of riding). But I'm rethinking the electrolyte thing, at least for recovery, because that might be part of what I'm craving. Rambling but it's good to put these things down in font, makes me think about it a bit more clearly.
Old 08-24-23, 07:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Related to the "a day at the track is like a long ride", albeit one with a lot of sitting or spinning between efforts, what sort of nutrition do you all consume?

For 2-3 hours I'm drinking a couple Cokes, a bunch of water, and maybe a Lara bar. But combine that with 2-3 hours drive to get to the track, I'm going about 4-6 hours before the end of the day, and I'm pretty depleted by the end of the session. I feel like if I had some more protein or fats or something, it would be better, but I don't have much experience with drinks/bars and exercise. The efforts during the session will be 100% so I can't have too much real food.
Old 03-01-24, 12:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

What you eat the day and night before will power your training/race day.

I would stay hydrated with an electrolyte drink and maybe have some light snacks that have carbs. Cliff bars were nice. But, cheap granola bars burn the same. So do cookies.

Anytime I ate a meal within 2 hours before training/racing, I was subject to feeling sick. I had no problem eating whatever I wanted an hour or so after training/racing. It's important to eat a good meal to help replenish what you depleted on the bike. Electrolyte drinks or supplements helped me in the evenings as well.