Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Niner RLT 9 RDO Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 06:54 PM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what brakes did he use?
Old 01-07-18, 10:44 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm jealous of the weight!

Nice clean lines without a front derailleur.

Mine is no longer that pristine.
trade off of electronic shifting and 2x.

17.5 vs 20 is whatever.
as for the clean lines, I want a 2x but love the look of 1x. torture!!! hahah

nice documented thread. makes the RDO more attractive, but also pushes me more towards Norco Search XR.
yeah I read through the "I don't want an adventure bike" topic too. but I do, but I don't. but I want a higher BB. but the Norco isn't much higher 73 vs 75.

regardless nice thread, I''ll probably re read through it a couple more times.
Old 02-06-18, 02:06 AM
comrade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice detailed post. Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently building the same but with a Force 1x setup - 50T on the front and 11-42 rear - its going to be interesting.

Are you still happy with it?
Old 02-06-18, 02:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by comrade
Nice detailed post. Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently building the same but with a Force 1x setup - 50T on the front and 11-42 rear - its going to be interesting.

Are you still happy with it?
I'm very happy with it.

Killer looks - MTB guys say, "that thing looks badass."

Stellar performance. I can't even begin to push this bike to what it is capable of.

There are a few 1x setups out there. Looking forward to seeing yours!

-Tim-
Old 04-25-18, 10:56 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
04-17-17

Sized down the chain

Two links were removed from the previously sized chain for a total of three links removed from a brand new chain. This is how it looks cross chained small/small, 34 front and 11 rear...

This is how it looks cross chained big/big, 50 front and 36 rear...

It seems to shift fine but my main concern right now is the B screw and how it interfaces with the derailleur hanger. The photo below was previously posted but it illustrates the angle at which the screw contacts the hanger. The further the screw is turned in, the more acute the angle until eventually the screw simply falls off the edge of the hanger.

The pulley doesn't contact the big sprocket but the screw is barely touching the hangar and I'm not happy with the amount of metal it has to push against. Not sure what the solution is, or if there is a solution, or if I'm just being retentive.

A photo of how it sits now will have to wait until the wheel comes off.

-Tim-
Didn't see a solution posted but if you flip the screw around the head will make more contact with hanger tab. You can also swap with an m4 Allen head bolt installed reverse as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180425_215330.jpg (1.05 MB, 159 views)
Old 04-26-18, 06:34 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

@redlude97

Swapping the stock bolt for a hex bolt is a brilliant idea!

The stock bolt is working for now but it is at the edge of its adjustment. Your solution is on my to-do list, probably when I replace pads and bleed the brakes next.

-Tim-
Old 10-10-18, 06:44 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
04-01-17

The rear caliper mounts by way of bolts which pass through the chainstay and fasten to the underside of the caliper, or in this case, to the underside of the adapter plate beneath the caliper. Bolt length is determined by the thickness of the chainstay and Shimano supplies a wierd "Bolt length selector" tool to assist with determining whether the bolts for any given application are the correct length. The tool is the yellow part in the photo below and it told me what I already knew; the bolts supplied with the calipers were too short. The photo below shows how the correct length bolt is supposed to look with just the tip visible in the pocket of the tool.

A chart in the documentation is much more useful than the tool, especially when calipers are available. The Niner chainstays are 30 mm and the bolts in the brake kit fell short by 5 mm. The chart even gives the Shimano part number.

$11 and a four day wait brought two Shimano BR5121, 43 mm flat mount caliper bolts to the doorstep. These mounted head down through the chainstay and screwed into the underside of the adapter plate. Again, a dab of grease was applied to the threads. Note the alloy washers between the bolt head and chainstay - Shimano calls these out as a necessity. Finally, a retention clip goes onto the end of the rear mounting bolt.

-Tim-
Tim,

All links to photos are gone... I'm building up an RDO frame and re-discovered this thread and now want to learn from your build... I too will be running 160mm rotors front and rear with R8070 calipers and know I'll need a mounting adaptor but it looks like I'm going to have to purchase longer fixing bolts as well? Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 10-10-18, 08:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by edthesped
Tim,

All links to photos are gone... I'm building up an RDO frame and re-discovered this thread and now want to learn from your build... I too will be running 160mm rotors front and rear with R8070 calipers and know I'll need a mounting adaptor but it looks like I'm going to have to purchase longer fixing bolts as well? Anything else I should be aware of?
I see all the photos no problem. Are you on a MAC? Some on MACs have reported problems seeing the images.

If you use the adapter in the rear then you will need longer bolts. IIRC they were sourced from Modern Bike.

Really nothing else to it. Just use the adapter, get the longer bolts and put it together.

Good luck.

-Tim-