Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bags and Other Storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 05:57 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I was on the waiting list for Acorn bags but my money burned through my pocket before they restocked. How do you like the rackless front bag (or is that a saddle bag mounted front)? I was going to get a regular rando bag for use with my front rack during brevet season next year but now I'm more considering rackless options for that bike.

Nice looking bike BTW.
Yeah, it's hard to get them but they're pretty nice. If you subscribe to their notifications they'll email you when bags are about to come into stock and it's easier to get one but you gotta move fast! I love the "family business, cottage industry, melding of craft and enthusiast," aspects of the brand. I have no trouble with the front bag staying put but I don't load it too heavily. I have a similar bag from Rivendell on my other bike, and sometimes use a similar but bigger Carradice bag on the front and it rides fine as well. They all have grommits on the ends so you can tie them off to the handlebars if need be but I seldom bother.
Old 12-20-18, 09:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What bag is that? TJMax special?

And what lights are those? You had mentioned them before. Can you remind me?
Old 12-20-18, 10:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Looks like the tan version of the black one I bought: Zeato Tactical Molle Pouch, only I run mine horizontally. @Spoonrobot is 100% correct, that tiny bag holds a lot. I have a tiny 3" blade Gerber in place of the Sharpie.

And yeah, I had to replace the M3 screws for the GoPro mounts right out of the package. They're like chrome-plated butter. Luckily I had some screws from an unused Rtichey stem-- nothing like hardened T20 fasteners.
Old 12-21-18, 10:47 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I use dark speed works speedpack 915, topeak wedge dry bag, emerald nuts container.
Old 12-21-18, 05:15 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by BigC_82

I use dark speed works speedpack 915, topeak wedge dry bag, emerald nuts container.
the standover on that bike makes my bag hurt! and I'm only looking at it.
Old 12-21-18, 05:59 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I have a tiny 3" blade Gerber in place of the Sharpie.
Is that because you cycle in bear territory ??
Old 12-21-18, 06:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Because I can't get rocks out of my cleats with a marker.
Old 12-21-18, 08:07 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Because I can't get rocks out of my cleats with a marker.
Deleted because I totally miss-read what was written and my comment was totally irrelevant.

Last edited by Witterings; 12-29-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
got introduced to a mountain feed bag this summer. def. getting my money's worth out of it. been using it for the small items I like frequent access to

Old 12-28-18, 03:28 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I prefer to have bar and saddle bags as I find I tend to hit frame bags with my knees when riding. The super simple and inexpensive but well made Jandd "Bike Bag" works fine for me on the bars. Easy to install and remove, doesn't sway that much and holds all of my tools. I stick all of my snacks in a Nuclear Sunrise Silo which is simple, easy to open on the bike and fits an extra bottle if I need one. Phone goes in a pocket. I ride with a Camelbak Chase vest on longer gravel rides and races as it's easier to drink from hydration packs on gravel. The vest has a great design with plenty of easy to access pockets, minimal coverage to stay cool on hot days and it ride high enough allows access to back pockets with the vest on. I put extra clothing, snacks and tools in the vest and remove the bags for races.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-28-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 01:28 AM
menkar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one that's cheap, lightweight, and durable so far. Also doesn't get in the way of my knees.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CKTZ6L?th=1&psc=1
Old 12-29-18, 12:42 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Very interesting to see the set ups posted, thanks for the pics so far.

I look at bike vests from time to time but can't ever come up with a compelling argument over using the fanny pack + water bottles I already have. Maybe one day when they're on sale. I did get a stem bag from local manufacturer The Spindle ATL. I haven't had time to ride with it yet but it looks well made and should work perfectly for holding clothes/food. Going to have to learn to climb standing with better form as my knees are definitely going to hitting it.
Old 12-29-18, 05:52 PM
Witterings

I've spent months trying to work out what the best options are for carrying gear ... I have Blackburn Outpost frame bag on my 29er which is a brilliant bag for clothes etc. and a saddle bag for spare tube, tools and puncture repair but I have very little space in the triangle so can't use either of the bottle mount points and it's not that easy to remove / put back on so you tend to leave it there permanently irrespective of if you need it for that ride or not.
You can use the frame bag in a smaller "collapsed" state or an unzipped expanded / larger capacity but even in the collapsed if it's really windy and you get it side on it acts like as sail and causes the bike to be pushed off course a lot more than when it's not on there.

Also whilst they're superb for having in front of you and easy access to bits I'm for ever hitting top tube bags and pushing them off center and just find them annoying for being there ... this may partially be due to me riding smaller size bikes but it's enough for me to try and avoid if possible.

I've just bought another bike (which again has limited space in the triangle) and whilst I really like the idea of a handlebar bag I have bike computer, bell, phone mount which between them take up a lot of the available landscape on drops before you hit bar tape so mounting a bag would be difficult and even if I could .... my light (which takes up more bar space) probably won't then sit high enough over the bag so unfortunately seems to knocks that out as my preferred option

I've had a Banjo Bros small frame bag for Xmas which has enough space for all your puncture repair / tools / spare tube and small pump into the main pocket .... and also has a separate side pocket with enough space for phone, money, keys and garage remote which is all I need for most outings in the summer and partially due to it's shape leaves enough space to use both the bottle mounts within the triangle.

I've also ordered an Ortlieb 2.7 ltr saddle bag with a quick release for if ever I need to add / remove layers as I get colder / warmer and like the fact it can be quickly and easily removed for when you don't need it.

If this set up works as well as I hope it does all I need to do is buy another Banjo Brothers small frame bag (which aren't expensive and already spare puncture repair / tools) and buy a 2nd seat post attachment for the Ortlieb bag and put them both on my 29er and just switch the Ortlieb between the 2 bikes as and when it's needed but not carry the extra weight when it's not.

Ahhh ... Simplicity and Happy days

Last edited by Witterings; 12-29-18 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 02:37 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I just got the Revelate Egress handlebar bag from Santa: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...r/EgressPocket

So now I've got: Revelate Egress, Mtn Feedbag, and Pika Saddlebag, and a small Banjo Bros Frame bag. Pretty covered except of course for sleeping gear. That's next on the horizon. Haven't done any bikepacking yet, just overnighters with hotels or BnBs.

For my shorter daily rides it's usually just been the feedbag for me for a while now--fits phone, multi-tool, co2, and I can jam my Endura Pakajak in there, though it's pretty maxed out after that. I need to add the frame bag if I want to also carry a mini pump(now that I'm tubeless I want to avoid the co2) or other bits like a snack, etc. So we will see, the Egress may end up being the lone daily bag since it fits all that and more, like my small u-lock. As it is now, the Pika is the only place my u-lock fits, but the Pika is overkill for most of my rides.
Old 12-31-18, 04:28 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a standard storage bag behind my seat. When I wear a jersey with no pockets, my phone goes in my running belt.
Old 12-31-18, 09:58 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I may have too many bags for what I'm carrying right now, but I like the set-up for single-day rides.

1) Revelate Egress in front. Revelate Designs suggested I go with the Egress instead of the Yakataga. I was hoping the Yakataga's zipper would be easy to open on the fly while riding, but RD said don't count on it. It's a heavy duty zipper that isn't easy to open. I'm carrying a ton of lightweight stuff in the pack. Windbreaker jacket, banana, arm warmers, wallet, skull cap, an old Nalini vest. I cannot access the stuff while riding, but i find I'm ok with that. My buddy and I like to take breaks and take photos, chat, etc. I'm using this with my Wahoo out-front mounted Bolt. It works.

2) In the frame I have Lone Peak's Wedgie half-frame bag. Extra sunglass lenses, two often used allen wrenches as i dial in the fit of the new saddle, a small ziplock bag with snacks, my taillight and my headlight, 7 Plus iPhone, an Anker charging battery with cord, my car keys, and a bandana.

3) Mounted to the under-downtube waterbottle mount I have a Wolftooth roll-top bag , with stuff i HOPE i don't need. Rarely opened. An extra inner tube, small multi-tool, and tubeless repair kit, plus some extra velcro strips, and zip-ties. Small Rema conventional patch kit, in case I run into someone who needs help. Some friends are still running tubes.

My buddy just bought Outershell's Drawstring Handlebar Bag. High quality, nice, but it may interfere with his out-front mounted Wahoo Bolt.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-01-19, 02:30 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Have you posted pics? I'm interested in seeing your setup.

The Egress or Yakataga looks like something that would work well for me.
Here's my rig with all the bags I've got: Egress, Mtn Feedbag, Banjo Bros small frame bag, and Pika. Now I gotta plan a trip
Old 01-01-19, 03:26 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ericzamora
I may have too many bags for what I'm carrying right now, but I like the set-up for single-day rides.

1) Revelate Egress in front. Revelate Designs suggested I go with the Egress instead of the Yakataga. I was hoping the Yakataga's zipper would be easy to open on the fly while riding, but RD said don't count on it. It's a heavy duty zipper that isn't easy to open. I'm carrying a ton of lightweight stuff in the pack. Windbreaker jacket, banana, arm warmers, wallet, skull cap, an old Nalini vest. I cannot access the stuff while riding, but i find I'm ok with that. My buddy and I like to take breaks and take photos, chat, etc. I'm using this with my Wahoo out-front mounted Bolt. It works.
eric/fresno, ca.
I just got the Egress too--used it yesterday for the first time. Fits a TON of stuff. I think it'll be perfect for shorter trips where I only want to deal with one bag. Could be a little easier to put on/take off, but not a deal-breaker at all.

Last edited by pbass; 01-01-19 at 04:22 PM.