Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anybody eat yogurt?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Anybody eat yogurt?

Old 04-03-19, 03:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you're buying yogurt choose the one which is at least 2-3 percent milk fat, it will taste a lot better and have more nutrition than fat-free ones.
Old 04-03-19, 03:39 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
I only eat yogurt if it is certified fair trade, non-GMO, gluten free, organic, vegan, kosher, hallal, macro-biotic, pro-biotic, anti-oxidant, guru-tested, Rodale Press approved, and every owner, employee, and stockholder of the companies that make, transport, and sell the yogurt pass a battery of ever changing political, ethnic, gender, and ethical standards.

Oh, it also has to taste good and not cost much.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-03-19, 06:55 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Frozen berries lack the micro-nutrients. Go fresh or go home.
Science disagrees with you: Vitamin retention in eight fruits and vegetables: a comparison of refrigerated and frozen storage.
Old 04-04-19, 07:33 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Full fat yogurt with honey is god's own food. So. Freakin. Delicious. I also got this french style yogurt at the farmer's market last week that was incredibly good... probably gonna go back for more of that today.
Old 04-04-19, 07:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Agree. I destroy about a quart of this stuff a day. Fat? Sugar? Don't care ... taste is incredible. Sort of sweet and tangy at the same time, thick texture almost like butter. Love it. Cheap too, it's like $3.49/qt at Winco Foods.

Old 04-04-19, 08:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You do know you can flavor your yogurt anyway you want? I used to be a daily yogurt eater but stopped after yogurt companies became one of the first to switch to reduced packaging. Going from the standard 8oz to 6oz or smaller size. Now I only eat it rarely (once or twice/year). Choosing Greek once in a while as a special treat.
Yuck I am in the minority I can’t stand yogurt and pop tarts. My friends on fishing trips taunt me with pop tarts.
Old 04-04-19, 01:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel

Yuck I am in the minority I can’t stand yogurt and pop tarts. My friends on fishing trips taunt me with pop tarts.
As said, all yogurt isn't created equal. What don't you like about it? The the texture? The taste? Do you dislike all dairy? What about frozen yogurt? I like yogurt because its stingy and not as sweet as ice cream.

Anyway, I used to hate Pop Tarts too at first, but they stopped using chemically enhanced artificial fillings and now they taste a lot more like real fruit. They are not something I buy, but I wouldn't find eating them objectionable when necessary.
Old 04-04-19, 01:32 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
YUCK I had to eat yogurt for the bacteria when I was on high powered antibiotics. Not my favorite, tastes like flavorless ice cream but that’s me. I know many people like yogurt.
Easily corrected with a lime squeezed over a cup of it, or tossing in a handful of juice blueberries or raspberries.

In a blended drink, it's all but impossible to discern it contains yogurt, with the other ingredients taking center state (flavor-wise).

But, yeah, straight up, it can be a fairly flavorless thing. With a handful of suitable fresh fruits, it can be transformed.

My own personal favorite: whole milk + cultures. Ends up a bit more sour than one expects, though not as sour as sour cream. In my area, the locally-accessible stuff isn't flavored up. As an addition to other ingredients, it's a great way to get fats and proteins but keeping carbs/sugars reasonable. Combined with high-fiber flax seeds, or (better still) hemp hearts as the OP does, it's a fairly nutritious food.
Old 04-04-19, 01:43 PM
KraneXL

Yogurt is a foundation food: its not something typically eaten by itself. You add something sweet, and it becomes the ages old combination of sweet and sour that is most palatable and appealing to the taste buds.
Old 04-04-19, 02:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
The scientists looked at 4 specific vitamins. If this was a food industry funded study, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they picked 4 vitamins that were known to survive freezing temperatures. That link alone doesn't convince me.

Ben
Old 04-04-19, 03:08 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The scientists looked at 4 specific vitamins. If this was a food industry funded study, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they picked 4 vitamins that were known to survive freezing temperatures. That link alone doesn't convince me.

Ben
It doesn't appear to be a food industry funded study. They picked 4 vitamins which are commonly designated as beneficial. I didn't spend much time researching but I would accept this study over proclamations from random guys on the internet.

There are worse things to eat than 20-30 frozen blueberries in porridge
Old 04-04-19, 03:54 PM
KraneXL

One study is not intended to be totally convincing. Rather, what it does is provide two primary functions: 1) support a claim through documentation, and 2) substantiate that claim goes beyond just spurious information.

Since it is a study, there is some scientific process involved and in order to disprove it you then must provide information that counters its validity or show where it may not be applicable to the topic. A study can additionally provide information and insight on a particular item or category paving the way to further investigation.

Believe it or not, even an opinion can be valid support of a claim if it comes from someone who is a professional or has experience within a particular area. Not everything needs to require a scientific study to be valid or believable. Remember, the first rule of a scientific model is observation.

I've learned that when someone doesn't want to accept a claim they will find a way to invalidate it where it makes sense or not. When that happens, its best to just leave the discussion and move on to the next topic.
Old 04-04-19, 03:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Uh, yes I do.
Nothing so remarkable about that.
Old 04-04-19, 11:31 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
Not picking on you but I find this line of thinking interesting. What science led you to believe that freezing does diminish nutrient content so that you need convincing otherwise?
Old 04-05-19, 02:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Not picking on you but I find this line of thinking interesting. What science led you to believe that freezing does diminish nutrient content so that you need convincing otherwise?
I agree.

But in case they need to read more ...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...89157517300418

Also, as odd as it may seem, I actually encountered someone at work who questioned my use of steam fresh veggie packets. "They look good" she said, "But they're so full of sugar and salt and other chemicals added during the freezing process. You should check the packages!"

I was pretty sure she was wrong, so I checked the packages. Yep wrong. Just the veg.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...arrot-snap-pea
Old 04-05-19, 05:43 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Another yogurt fan here. Sometimes for breakfast with nuts and or blue berries and sometimes for a snack.
Old 04-05-19, 07:36 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
It sounds like one of those ideas that circulate on social media.

I offered a bunch of apples from my backyard tree to my neighbour who was into juicing.
She said there were too many to use immediately and she couldn't freeze them because freezing destroys the nutrients.
Old 04-05-19, 08:24 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
It sounds like one of those ideas that circulate on social media.

I offered a bunch of apples from my backyard tree to my neighbour who was into juicing.
She said there were too many to use immediately and she couldn't freeze them because freezing destroys the nutrients.
A great way to freeze apples is to put them in a pie and freeze that! Or just eat the pie.
Old 04-05-19, 09:06 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
A great way to freeze apples is to put them in a pie and freeze that! Or just eat the pie.
That was a couple of years ago and I think it was the first time I'd heard of freezing destroying the nutrients. Now I hear it all the time, but not from any credible source. Pies are good, freezing them is fine, I get tired of making the crusts.
Old 04-05-19, 09:17 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by skookum
That was a couple of years ago and I think it was the first time I'd heard of freezing destroying the nutrients. Now I hear it all the time, but not from any credible source.
Explains why measles cases are on the rise. Many have trouble assessing the quality of their information sources.
Old 04-06-19, 02:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Used to consume some yogurt until I was diagnosed with Aggressive Prostate Cancer and found that research is indicating that dairy can be a contributing factor in the development of PCa as is meat of all types, sugar, eggs, alcohol .....
Old 04-06-19, 05:31 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
This thread reminded me of a news item from some years ago about a part of Russia where many people live past the ago of 100. In addition to a life of much exercise, important reasons for their long lives seems to be a diet of fresh and natural foods that includes yogurt and strong links to community. https://gbtimes.com/russias-most-ama...ongevity-cases. In poking around the web on the topic of longevity, I found some very remarkable and interesting people.
Old 04-06-19, 09:29 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I eat two 100g Yoplait Creamy yogurt with half a serving of Quaker Harvest Crunch Original every morning one hour after my commute to work. Two 100g Yoplait yogurt gives me the same amount of proteins than a 100g Greek yogurt but is more filling (duh) and gives me more calories (higher in sugar).
Old 04-07-19, 02:21 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by SylvainG
I eat two 100g Yoplait Creamy yogurt with half a serving of Quaker Harvest Crunch Original every morning one hour after my commute to work. Two 100g Yoplait yogurt gives me the same amount of proteins than a 100g Greek yogurt but is more filling (duh) and gives me more calories (higher in sugar).
Useless sugar cal.? I hope that you weren't bragging about that?

100g = 7 oz.

Anyway, with all this talk of yogurt, I was in the supermarket this evening and picked up a 32 oz container of strawberry yogurt that was on sale for $2.99. I would have gotten Greek yogurt but they only had honey and it was $5.99. And since I only eat yogurt infrequently now, I didn't want it that much.
Old 04-07-19, 07:06 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Useless sugar cal.? I hope that you weren't bragging about that?
Wait, what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.