Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garmin Maps, HELP !

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin Maps, HELP !

Old 05-13-19, 07:29 PM
ptessier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Maps, HELP !

I'm located in Canada and have a Garmin 820. I'm going to Majorca, Spain next week.
1) Does my Garmin already have the world maps? If not, do I need to buy/load European maps?
2) Where can I find interesting rides in Majorca I could load into my device?

Thanks
Old 05-13-19, 07:41 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Best bet is to go to dcrainmaker.com and search for your gps by model. I would not buy a map from garmin, I would suggest that you use open street maps instead. There is a good writeup on the dcrainmaker site about how to use the OSM map files on garmin devices. And the price tag: $0.
Old 05-13-19, 10:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by ptessier
I'm going to Majorca, Spain next week.
ptessier -- I'm jealous that you're going to Majorca. I was there a number of times during my Navy career. Many Navy folks consider it the best liberty port in the Atlantic/Mediterranean. Depending on how long you're going to be there...personally I wouldn't spend so much time on the bike, and more time exploring the outstanding beaches around the island. Nevertheless...I've never ridden there...but I'm told there is some good riding.

Regarding the Garmin device and maps...First, even if you've just purchased it...make sure the device is registered on their website, and download the most up-to-date software. When I've purchased Garmin products with mapping functions they came with North Americans maps of the section I selected when I registered it on Garmin's website. I.e. I live in the east U.S. so I download the eastern U.S. map set. I'd think it'd be similar for you in Canada. But...you can purchase additional maps...I went ahead and purchased all of North America (Canada included). Although, the memory capacity of the device you're purchasing might have a bearing on how much you can load. Some of their devices (like the one I have) have a micro drive for an additional memory chip (also for extra purchase) that increases memory so that you can load more map sets.

Dan
Old 05-14-19, 01:40 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I'm with speedevil - go to Open Street Maps. I used them extensively on my Edge 705 which came with only the most basic of maps. Haven't had to on my 520+ yet but I'd certainly look into it if I needed to. When I investigated buying maps from Garmin for a Nuvi satnav it would have been cheaper to go and buy a new satnav. Ironically I could download those same maps (Navteq) for free on my mobile phone. Guess which I did?
Old 05-14-19, 08:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
OSM maps are the way to go. I've managed to use them to the exclusion of everything else since I bought my 800, and never felt I was missing anything except street addresses.
Old 05-14-19, 08:52 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
I have and use both. I find the Garmin supplied maps integrate perfectly and allow for better mid-ride route adjustments and more robust POI searching. If you plan to return to a specific location then I find the expenditure worthwhile. A small fraction of the trips cost when amortized over several years. The Europe mapset, for example, covers all of western Europe so no need for mutltiple orders.

For a one-off trip then I will download the free OSM maps and run those.