Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help "Snazzing up" my wife's ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help "Snazzing up" my wife's ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 02:33 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool wheels. For Lo-pro get some good ROL hoops, or some HED Belgian rims. Or grab a set of plain black deep carbon chineese wheels to save the budget but look hawt! Flip the stem for a more aggressive look (may need a little tweaking of the post/saddle for fit purposes too.) Color matched quick release skewers. Colored tires (red?)
Old 05-24-19, 02:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If she wants "pop" she should try some silver or yellow tape accents (don't go crazy) along the frame tubes. Or, mask off a few shapes on the frame and rattle-can them with a color of choice. or maybe just a decal on the top tube, which is the longest unrelieved area of blue.

Color-coordinated bottle cage and bottle will break up the blandness of the seat tube.

New tires when the old ones wear out--no need to be wasteful---but I know Continental used to make all red and all-blue tires---no black at all. Or get tires with colored stripes.

Wheels seems a bit much just for looks ... but I put some (I think) 38-mm carbons wheels on my Sportiv because it is disc and I wouldn't be eating my CF rims with my brakes.

Also ... try a colored tool bag, or get any average black bag and rattle-can it whatever color you like.

Tell your wife that she has an awesome bike and it is.

(I was going to suggest telling her you were going to get a hot teenager to ride the bike for her ... but once I saw that you got her a Sportiv, I realized she was special and you realized it ... so that is one less bad joke I get to tell. )
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-25-19, 06:18 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
White handlebar tape + white saddle.

Will complement the white accents on the frame.
I agree with the white tape and saddle. I'd go with white housings too.
Old 05-25-19, 06:48 PM
mcpastor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

My wife wanted to say, she really does like her bike, but just wants to spark it up a little with some custom touches.

While waiting for the red Salsa cork gel tape to arrive at a local store, I remembered I had a new set of wheels I bought for myself as a second pair for trainer and rollers. They were Fuji’s house brand, Oval Concepts, and they happened to be the right color for my wife’s bike. They add a little pop of red without overdoing things. She likes them, so I swapped cassettes and mounted the wheels. They were the same width as her rims which worked out great. The unused tires that came with wheels are 25mm, so they are a lighter, roadworthy replacement for the 28mm tires that came stock on the Sportif. Plus, I think the white letters look sporty.

I also turned the stem upside down for a little more streamlined profile and replaced the local shop’s branded bottle cages with a pair of Bontragers I had in the closet. They are lighter and more minimal. She likes them. I like the way aluminum cages work. They are black, like the rest of the bike hardware. She’ll be looking for just the right bottles

We took a ride around the neighborhood, and she likes how light and responsive the new wheels are. She adapted to the lower stem angle just fine.

We we are looking for nicer platform pedals and might get some strapless micro cages for them so she can experience some of the control and power a pedal system can offer.

I’ll post more pics when the bar tape arrives.

With new Oval Concepts 327 wheels and 25mm tires. Silver tape was added a while back. Red is on order. Flipped stem.

Last edited by mcpastor; 05-25-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 07:23 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Red bar tape will be too much. Red cable housing will finish it off.
Old 05-26-19, 10:12 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Red bar tape will be too much.
Yes, red tape may be a bit much now that the wheels contribute a little red.

She might stick with the silver bar tape for now. (Actually, the original black tape might have looked fine with the addition of these wheels.) Red tape may make the bike look red, white and blue, and that's not what she's going for. The frame is red, grey and blue. These wheels are also red and grey. All the hardware is black on bike and wheels.

Just the right bottle may provide the final color accent she needs.

Still looking for platform pedals with a strapless toe clip, and may try taking some spacers out of the stem, bringing the bars at least even with the seat and see how she does with it.

Last edited by mcpastor; 05-26-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 12:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Stems, seatposts, stem spacers. stem top caps, bar end plugs, skewers, seatpost clamps, valves stem caps, pedals, bottle cages, and tires are all places color can be added.
Old 05-26-19, 03:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
For about $5 you could get one of these seatpost rings for just a bit of color in that area of the bike

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-26-19, 03:57 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Vittoria Corsas with tan sidewalls would look hot.
Old 05-28-19, 10:59 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Silver bar tape (though red as previously suggested might be good too).
Vittoria Corsa tanwall tyres.
Thanks! As it turns out she does have silver tape and might just stick with it, even though we ordered red. The pic I posted with black bar tape was just prior to the silver tape and I didn't catch it.

Originally Posted by datlas
Get rid of the dork disk??
Done!

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Another vote for red bar tape. Also, literally any pedal other than those slippery plastic abominations.
Yes, I'm looking for some sleeker platform pedals and would like to mount mini strapless toe clips to help her feel the security and power that comes with having that advantage.

-Slightly flashier wheels/tires[/QUOTE]

Done! I mounted my slightly flashier wheelset I bought for rollers and trainer, but unused. She likes them.

Originally Posted by wipekitty
+1 on the red bar tape. Red bottle cages would also be hot.

Does your wife like the saddle? If not, there are a ton of women-specific saddles in white.

Finally, please turn that stem upside down.
We've been looking at saddles, black or white. She's going to ride her stock one for a while. So far, no discomfort.

Stem flipped!

Here's her bike in its current state. New wheels, 25mm tires, bottle cages (still black aluminum tho), silver tape and flipped stem. Changing the wheels and tires made it a lot lighter!

The Missouri River.

We rode together this weekend. First, two times around the Kansas City Downtown Airport loop, then downtown around the River Market and along the Missouri River on the Riverfront trail. What fun to ride with my wife and best friend!
Old 05-28-19, 03:37 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Nice Mercx
Old 05-29-19, 08:08 AM
mcpastor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn