Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Possible frame corrosion -- ideas?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 06:54 PM
jospl

Bikes: '12 Scott Speedster & Custom, 100% self-assembled carbon fiber mtn bike (w/ an XTR groupset )

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Bike Forum Members,

I have a Scott Speedster with bubble appearing under the paint towards the front. I purchased this bike probably around 5 years ago and would love to get many more miles on it.

I use my pain cave quite a bit, and cycle on the trainer 3-5 times per week, so sweat is common.

I've taken pictures and posted within my bikeforums album numbered 14005614

I'm not quite sure what the next steps should be. I'm wondering:
1. How can I fix this?
2. What might happen if I don't fix it?

Best regards,
John
Old 05-29-19, 07:57 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
get a steel brush to put in your cordless drill. maybe 50-60mm diameter. put it in the drill. turn on the drill, put to frame tubing while spinning, remove rust until unrusted metal is the only thing left. prime, sand, paint, fine-sand, clear coat. done.

questions?
Likes For carlos danger:
Old 05-29-19, 09:16 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Prevention is the best cure, clean and wax your bicycle regularly.

You will have to remove the paint, remove the rust, use a rust killer to get any hidden deep in the metal pores and then re-paint as appropriate.

Spraymax 2000K clear is a aerosol can two part clear that is wonderful over many types of paint substrates including rattle can and it dries hard as nails and is impervious to solvents even including MEK etc.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 05-29-19, 09:45 PM
jospl

Bikes: '12 Scott Speedster & Custom, 100% self-assembled carbon fiber mtn bike (w/ an XTR groupset )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like a solid plan... i'll do that. plus Loose Chain's recommendation to wax the bike regularly.
Old 05-29-19, 10:42 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
get a steel brush to put in your cordless drill. maybe 50-60mm diameter. put it in the drill. turn on the drill, put to frame tubing while spinning, remove rust until unrusted metal is the only thing left. prime, sand, paint, fine-sand, clear coat. done.

questions?
You will have no bike left in this case, the Scott Speedster is Aluminium, a steel brush will eat that frame nice and easy.

For the OP, how old is the bike and have you tried using the warranty? https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/support/warranty, (you say its 5 years) exact age and service history will be key here, ad being cosmetic will probably not accepted

As it's Alu, and from how you describe you using it, you will kill anything that can corrode, guess you not using anything to protect the frame from sweat? https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Swe.../dp/B00B1UQFQ6 (lots of different brands similar to this are available)
Old 05-30-19, 12:24 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
As it's Alu, and from how you describe you using it, you will kill anything that can corrode, guess you not using anything to protect the frame from sweat? https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Swe.../dp/B00B1UQFQ6 (lots of different brands similar to this are available)
Geez, it's like a thong for a bike...
Old 05-30-19, 12:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
@jospl's photos:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/496311
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14005614

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-30-19, 12:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts

I think the corrosion is probably a mix of the internal cable routing + sweat.

I don't quite know what I'd do.

It looks like the "bubble" is HUGE. And, you could have some deep corrosion under it. But, the bike should have started with pretty strong aluminum.

As @carlos danger suggested, you can try cleaning and painting. Of course, it would be a lot more work to remove the fork, all the cables, and try to get to the inside to clean and refinish. And, perhaps seal those cables somehow. Caulking?
Old 05-30-19, 03:19 PM
jospl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchased the bike on Dec 26th in 2013 so the 5-year manufactures warranty (thanks for the link) is a no-go. I don't think REI would accept a return this late in the game either but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Here's what I bought in terms of tooling/painting:
  • Wire brushes to strip (probably will return one):
    • DEWALT DW4902 1-Inch by 1/4-Inch High Performance Carbon Knot Wire End Brush, 0.020-Inch Wire
    • Century Drill & Tool 76211 Coarse Crimped Cup Wire Brush, 1-3/4"
  • Scuff pad to clean: Lot 5 Grey 3M Scuff Pad Scotch Brite 3M Brand
  • Paint pen to touch up: Testors, 1, Black
  • Clear coat to finish: Spraymax 3680061 2K Clear
I think I'll give it a go this weekend or next. Probably don't want to wait to long.

Thanks for the help.

- John
Old 05-30-19, 08:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Do NOT use a ferrous (steel) brush to remove paint. You cannot avoid some minute particles of iron embedding in the aluminum, and after this your frame is toast - it will steadily decay.

Looking at that paint bubble, it almost looks like someone used a steel brush on that section of frame a while back.

You can inspect by getting rid of the paint. Use the stripper. You can then use a plastic scraper and a brass or stainless brush. There are also paint removal pads but if you use these on a drill or on a grinder arbor wear a rubber suit (or at least a Tyvek one) - you'll be shooting gobs of paint and paint thinner everywhere.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-31-19 at 05:51 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 05-30-19, 09:53 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A couple of years ago I repainted a friends S-works Tarmac that had spent most of it's life locked in a trainer. The aluminum at the top & head tubes had extensive corrosion both exposed and under bubbling paint. After chemical stripping the aluminum sections of the frame, I abrasive blasted the pitted aluminum, thoroughly cleaned, epoxy primed, skimmed with filler, primed then painted the entire bike.
I should have some pics on the home computer. I'll post a couple of which, when I return home this weekend.
Old 05-31-19, 01:20 AM
jospl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
02Giant--sounds like a job well done. Did you do anything for inside the tubing of the frame? I'll epoxy the entryway for the cable run shut after the repair, but going inside the tube is a bit more commitment than I have at the moment, not to mention not knowing where to start. I'm hoping that won't be the nail in the coffin later on!

Update to my purchases for the job:
  • Blue Bear Paint & Urethane Stripping Gel to remove the paint (is that stuff for real? soy beans?)
  • Brass brushes (I'll return those steel ones, good call @WizardOfBoz)
  • bike thong
  • epoxy for priming
Thanks guys.

- John
Old 06-06-19, 09:20 PM
jospl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stripped the paint! The thinner is amazing for this task... I'm not sure about using it for paint which wasn't already coming off due to corrosion / nearby chips, but for this purpose I don't think there is a better thinner to use. The stuff is non-toxic (only a slight smell) and sticks like gel. After an hour of sitting there I scrapped the paint off with an aeropress coffee tool. There was not a small amount of corrosion under (no surprise there). I used brass first but moved to the stainless steel brush (bought a combo kit of 10 small bruses) to scrape the thickened white aluminum oxide powder off the metal and the scuff pads were great at finishing touches / polishing / cleaning / etc. After that I sponged the surface down with a small amount of water to remove the dust and such and wiped clean with a towel..

Next step is to mix and spread a thin coat of epoxy over the metal. Once that dries I'll do another coat and epoxy in the grommet used for the wire routing, then I'll sand, paint, and coat with the clear coat, which actually seems a bit overkill to me at $24 a bottle since I'll only be using it to touch up the bike. These shiny parts will offer some good character for the bike. I'll upload some photos...
Old 06-06-19, 09:24 PM
jospl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Soy-based paint stripping goo at work

Peeled off the corroded area easily

White power puffed up from under the stripped paint pieces (aluminum oxide)

Clear coat for finishing, some paint stripped on the right, epoxy fluids, and an enamel touch-up pen.