Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aggressive Walkers/Runners

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aggressive Walkers/Runners

Old 07-06-19, 07:32 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Maybe experienced pedestrians and runners feel that the road is safer and are simply taking the lane.
Isn’t that ironic as a lot of narrow minded cyclists feel they can flaunt traffic laws and take the lane at will because they personally know what’s best...
I ride in the lane frequently and always with the law.

Runners are not a problem anywhere I ride. There's one road with a bike lane where I'll encounter a runner once in a while, but the numbers are never large enough that's it's any trouble to just go around them. Where I live there are no sidewalks. Cars, bikes, runners, walkers, golf carts, atvs and the occasional horse seem to share the roads without issue. But it's a lot easier when you get out of the city.
Old 07-06-19, 02:05 PM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Dealing With Aggressive Pedestrians/Runners

I ride in Chicago and try to survive (fodder for another thread). One thing that is annoying and threatening are the runners/wa;kers in the street going against traffic. I think they like softer asphalt rather than the sideWALK.
Usually I have space to get by, but some don't hug the curb,and some go two or three abreast (not being sexist here). This forces the cyclist out into the middle of the traffic lane, which usually has traffic. They refuse to hop on the sideWALK, and cuss if one rings their bell.

How do you urban riders deal with similar situations?

No we are getting electric scooters added to the mix!
gm
I would just avoid as best you can. Any kind of provocation or snark will be met with a retort (you are in chicago after all) so its best just to pedal past and forget it. Just another obstacle to avoid.

Thats my $.02

Spinay70
Old 07-06-19, 02:32 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
In general it shouldn't be an issue but there are times when it is. There is one particular road by the University that is really popular. It is a narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder. So at lunch time or closing time around 4-5pm you have joggers/walkers/cyclists on either side effectively making the road one way with only a few cars being able to get past each other. Traffic gets backed up easily. It is a real cluster F**k sometimes.
Old 07-06-19, 03:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Omg, I have to slow down and adjust to an easily perceived obstacle! The horrors!

I think this is the absolute least important issue facing cyclists today. I have more trouble with fallen branches in the road and avoiding running over turtles.
i don’t think the op is wrong to complain. It is a pain in the arse.

Un related to mr lion’s comment I don’t think pedestrians have the right to the road when a side walk is present. Could be wrong though on that.
Old 07-06-19, 05:12 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger

Un related to mr lion’s comment I don’t think pedestrians have the right to the road when a side walk is present. Could be wrong though on that.
Hasn't anyone ever heard of "JAY WALKING"? It's when a pedestrian is encroaching on a motor vehicle's right of way! Bicycles should be obeying the rules of the road similar to a motor vehicle not a pedestrian.
Old 07-06-19, 05:28 PM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone for a friendly game of chicken? I would just hug the right side of road as u approach them and try to leave yourself a gap in traffic to weave around jogger. Probably hard to time right in heavy traffic.. Cars are suppose to slow down but wouldnt count on it. If it's a slower road crank hard and ride w the cars.
Old 07-06-19, 07:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger

Every time I have encountered this, it has been no problem to adjust and move on. I had a driver take a right turn at a three way intersection, cross two lanes of traffic and nearly plow right into me in the breakdown lane on the opposite side of the highway today, so excuse me if I feel like a little perspective on how unimportant this pedestrian in the lane issue is is in order.
Old 07-07-19, 03:03 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood. people do walk in the road and I am probably one of only three people who regularly ride bicycles. We just wave, smile and go about our business. I have lived in congested areas where people are hostile toward each other and did not enjoy the stupidity.
We've got sidewalks on both sides of the street here, and there are a number of people who prefer to walk in the street instead of on the sidewalk. Who knows why they do it, but they usually get out of everyone's way.

Last edited by no motor?; 07-08-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 08:19 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
IMO people that run on the road when a sidewalk is present are pretty silly. They've traded a slight decrease in risk of repetitive stress injury (that could be offset by purchasing a shoe with more cushioning) for a slight increase in the risk of being hit by a car. Not a good trade off IMO.

For people walking, it's even worse since it isn't high impact.

Having said that, they have the right to be there where I live, even if they are being stupid. So, go around them safely and continue on your ride.
Old 07-08-19, 08:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Maybe, at some point, these walkers and joggers will decide that the side of the road just isn't quite smooth enough for them, and they'll decide to start walking right down the center of the road. "Vehicular Walking", is what they'll call it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 07-08-19, 08:45 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Maybe, at some point, these walkers and joggers will decide that the side of the road just isn't quite smooth enough for them, and they'll decide to start walking right down the center of the road. "Vehicular Walking", is what they'll call it.
Here it is against the law to ride a bike on the sidewalk downtown at any age, and above 8yo in residential areas. Peds will yell at cyclists who get on sidewalks, why not vice versa?

Now we have scooters and electric scooters to deal with and "mobility" carts
Modern Times?

gm
Old 07-08-19, 10:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
So we have aggressive drivers and aggressive dogs.

Then we had aggressive roadies in their full kits with their sizzling tires.

Now we have aggressive clubs aggressively blocking the MUP aas others try to ride past bars and aggressive former college football players aggressively claiming to have acted aggressively toward the MUP blockers in return.

Now we have aggressive walkers? Someone in this thread even complained about aggressive mothers pushing strollers aggressively.

What's next? Maybe a kid with a lolipop will stick his tongue at you? Watch out for those aggressive butterflies!

Just hit the runners with your purse next time.

-Tim-
Old 07-08-19, 11:52 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I don't see this too often. The people that I usually see on the road are picking aluminum cans out of the ditches.

When I run, it is on the road but we have no sidewalks out here. When I do some city 5Ks, it is hit or miss as to where there are sidewalks or not. But, I like the roads over the sidewalks. I'll keep an eye out for hurtling purses.
Old 07-08-19, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
So we have aggressive drivers and aggressive dogs.

Then we had aggressive roadies in their full kits with their sizzling tires.

Now we have aggressive clubs aggressively blocking the MUP aas others try to ride past bars and aggressive former college football players aggressively claiming to have acted aggressively toward the MUP blockers in return.

Now we have aggressive walkers? Someone in this thread even complained about aggressive mothers pushing strollers aggressively.

What's next? Maybe a kid with a lolipop will stick his tongue at you? Watch out for those aggressive butterflies!

Just hit the runners with your purse next time.

-Tim-
Some of this is seasonal--a couple of weeks ago, it was aggressive turtles all over the MUP, this week it's been thuggish baby rabbits.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-19, 12:04 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
So, the asphalt vs. sidewalk thing..............it's a dogmatic almost troll level epidemic in the running world.

I post on a triathlon site, and it took me breaking out the mechanical vibrations engineering book from college and posting a sample problem where I sub'd in the value for shoes and asphalt vs. concrete to prove that it has nothing to do with the "impact".

Suddenly, the conversation shifted to sidewalks having cracks and not being as level.

So, I mentioned that trail running and youth cross country running is a thing.

Basically, people are tribal AF in whatever they do and go to flat-Earther science denial levels of delusion to defend "their ways".

If someone just told me "I run on the street instead just because I like it, no other reason".........I'd be like....."ok, just watch for cars". But the mental gymnastics people do is just amazing.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-08-19, 08:10 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Regarding a few posts seemingly sympathetic to the pedestrians.... Somewhat dated (2005) so not positive it's current, but don't assume it's legal for pedestrians to be in street. Snippet of MO code:

300.405. Pedestrians Walking Along Roadways(1) Where sidewalks are provided it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway. (2) Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall when practicable walk only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic, which may approach from the opposite direction.

And for us...

300.347. Riding bicycle on sidewalks, limitations - motorized bicycles prohibited. (1) No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district; (2) Whenever any person is riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian; (3) No person shall ride a motorized bicycle upon a sidewalk.

And finally my preference is to treat MUPs much more as a sidewalk than street. It's fine to ride there, but it's not a time trial course.

Last edited by gear64; 07-08-19 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For gear64:
Old 07-09-19, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gear64
Regarding a few posts seemingly sympathetic to the pedestrians.... Somewhat dated (2005) so not positive it's current, but don't assume it's legal for pedestrians to be in street. Snippet of MO code:

300.405. Pedestrians Walking Along Roadways(1) Where sidewalks are provided it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway. (2) Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall when practicable walk only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic, which may approach from the opposite direction.

And for us...

300.347. Riding bicycle on sidewalks, limitations - motorized bicycles prohibited. (1) No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district; (2) Whenever any person is riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian; (3) No person shall ride a motorized bicycle upon a sidewalk.

And finally my preference is to treat MUPs much more as a sidewalk than street. It's fine to ride there, but it's not a time trial course.
My points about this being nothing worth focusing on are neither "sympathetic" nor legal. Literally everyone on the road does something illegal from time to time, and some people do so routinely (e.g., speeding, driving through crosswalks, driving through a light that just turned red). Some of those illegal actions create hazards, some don't or the risks they create are so trivial that it isn't worth griping about. When I said I've been put in danger more often by falling and fallen branches than I have pedestrians and joggers in the roadway, I wasn't kidding. I was kidding about avoiding turtles being a bigger hazard, but not by much.

I think we need to pick our battles--this is not the kind of stuff that's actually getting people hurt or killed, so it's a stupid fight to pick.
Old 07-10-19, 10:47 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
In my experience the middle aged women group fitness walkers are the worst. Going three-wide taking up the whole path acting shocked and surprised that a runner or cyclist may be passing them moving a fast speed than them.
Old 07-10-19, 10:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
In my experience the middle aged women group fitness walkers are the worst. Going three-wide taking up the whole path acting shocked and surprised that a runner or cyclist may be passing them moving a fast speed than them.
Man, I should have seen that coming--degenerating into demographic nonsense.

Please tell us all about this offensive shocked and surprised reaction. Do they vomit? Call you speedy-pants? Click their tongues? Wave a handkerchief and say "well, I never!" Do they hurt your feelings?
Old 07-10-19, 11:03 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Man, I should have seen that coming--degenerating into demographic nonsense.

Please tell us all about this offensive shocked and surprised reaction. Do they vomit? Call you speedy-pants? Click their tongues? Wave a handkerchief and say "well, I never!" Do they hurt your feelings?
My observations aren't that deep to get offended bro. I'm sure there is an equal pay rally or something you can attend.
Old 07-10-19, 11:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Those rattlesnakes have the right of way on the gravel roads. Cyclists and runners don’t argue with them. But those darn wabbits! Who do they think they are!
Old 07-10-19, 11:08 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Aggressive squirrels who can't make up their mind which way they want to go.
Old 07-10-19, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
My observations aren't that deep to get offended bro. I'm sure there is an equal pay rally or something you can attend.
Lame defense of a lame comment. Congratulations, sis.
Old 07-10-19, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Those rattlesnakes have the right of way on the gravel roads. Cyclists and runners don’t argue with them. But those darn wabbits! Who do they think they are!
NYC cops just hit a rabbit with a hammer for the rabbit's protection. Vision Zero!
Old 07-10-19, 11:25 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Lame defense of a lame comment. Congratulations, sis.
Like I said. It's not that deep to take too serious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.