Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Secret For Energy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 02:38 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think you're probably right. I found out in a recent hospital stay that I had a magnesium deficiency. I don't know why, because I eat avocados, nuts, raw spinach and bananas, fish, all sources of magnesium, but that's what their test said and I got a couple of shots for it. I suspect I'll be taking magnesium supplements here on out.
You were deficient in it for the same reason a lot of people are - you don't absorb all of what you eat. Different forms are absorbed better than others, and we all don't absorb things the same way. The shot they gave you eliminated the absorbtion issue when it bypassed the digestive system.
Old 07-09-19, 02:49 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Rje58
You seem to be implying that supplements are only for those people who delude themselves into thinking that using supplements can overcome the consequences of an unhealthy diet and unhealthy lifestyle, not because they have any real world benefits.

Nope, just the opposite!

Unless professional athletes and professional sports teams are "deluding themselves" as well. Many professional athletes and professional sports teams use supplements - all the while many of whom are on strict dietary and workout regimens.

My doctor is the one who told me that I definitely need to use CoQ10 because I take statin drugs which are known to deplete the natural stores of CoQ10 within the body. While researching what my doctor told me, I came across more than one study of athletes where the CoQ10 groups showed greater endurance and faster recovery times than the placebo group. That's why so many professional athletes use CoQ10. It is not a banned substance in many sports.

But like I stated in my previous post: individual freedom and individual choice are critical to everyone being able to decide for themselves, act accordingly, and accept the consequences, good or bad. If you don't think supplements of any kind have any value, then don't take supplements of any kind.

But in my opinion, thinking that no supplements are worthwhile, useful or necessary is just as lacking in understanding as believing all the wild claims made about supplements that truly are little more than "snake oil".

Supplements are like people: some are great, some suck, some are helpful, some are dangerous - most fall somewhere in between the extremes.
You're lucky they mentioned the statins depleting CoQ10, most patients aren't fortunate enough to hear that. It's pretty ironic that conventional medicine scares people into taking statins to protect their heart (which is mainly made up of muscle) while ignoring the effects of reduced energy utilization of the muscles due to lowering CoQ10 levels.

And most supplements aren't dangerous. The ones in the news that were had usually been adulterated by drugs, or had been abused by people. Like the guy in the news story today that dies after taking way too much caffeine - the headline said he died after drinking a protein shake but the coroner listed the cause of death as excessive caffeine consumption. If you stick to products sold by people with nutritional training you aren't likely to run into problems. The odds of having problems or buying ineffective products go up when buying things from drug stores, discount stores or the internet.
Old 07-09-19, 02:50 PM
switchblade 327

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pay Day candy bars actually work for me on rides. They don't come out of the wrapper easily so I unwrap them break them in half and put in baggies.
Likes For switchblade 327:
Old 07-09-19, 09:21 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Has anyone listed cold fusion yet?
Likes For OmegaWolf:
Old 07-09-19, 11:04 PM
Grotug

Bikes: Scott Addict Team Issue

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
on an all day ride last fall, I tried a suggestion a late friend gave me. 2 PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters. wound up being an awesome suggestion. I did take a break at the 1/2 way point & drank/ate other stuff. I finished the ride w 1/4 sandwich left over which was good to reward myself with in the car for the drive home

gotta remember to sip a little water to aid swallowing while riding. wrapping them & carrying them was interesting but I managed

I would do it again for similar circumstances
Thumbs up!! How many miles did you ride that day?
Old 07-10-19, 01:36 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
You're lucky they mentioned the statins depleting CoQ10, most patients aren't fortunate enough to hear that. It's pretty ironic that conventional medicine scares people into taking statins to protect their heart (which is mainly made up of muscle) while ignoring the effects of reduced energy utilization of the muscles due to lowering CoQ10 levels.

And most supplements aren't dangerous. The ones in the news that were had usually been adulterated by drugs, or had been abused by people. Like the guy in the news story today that dies after taking way too much caffeine - the headline said he died after drinking a protein shake but the coroner listed the cause of death as excessive caffeine consumption. If you stick to products sold by people with nutritional training you aren't likely to run into problems. The odds of having problems or buying ineffective products go up when buying things from drug stores, discount stores or the internet.
More good news: caffeine isn't a supplement, its a drug.
Old 07-10-19, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Grotug
How many miles did you ride that day?
thanks 43.8 miles, 4 hrs 45 min saddle time (6 hrs away from car). the trail head is a drive for me, so I was away from home 10 hrs door-to-door

Ashuelot Recreational Rail Trail, Hinsdale NH to Keene NH round trip over a mix of dirt, sand, grass, mud & broken old bridges. took me 2 tries a month & a half apart, with 2 diff. bikes. the first try I reached the halfway but had to bail with a taxi back to my car. I wasn't prepared well enough & it was 100 degrees that day. the second successful trip was with a better bike & more prep & knowledge
Old 07-10-19, 08:43 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I stay about 15 pounds overweight and find that it keeps me from bonking on longer rides. A little bit of built in storage gives me energy for days.
And yeah, supplements are all gimmicks and marketing. You're wasting your money and better off focusing on good nutrition. I eliminate almost all refined sugars from my diet, and that helps a lot as well.
This is very helpful. My wife has been complaining that I've put on a few extra pounds (coincidentally, it's probably about 15 pounds). I will inform her that I do so to stay healthy and keep from bonking on my long bike rides. It's up to her to prove it wrong
Old 07-10-19, 08:56 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I don't take supplements as I'm a skeptic although I do eat a good balanced diet. I have tried supplements in the past but without noticeable effect on my well-being short of increasing the value of my urine (sarcasm noted).

I think there's two ways to view the OP question. There's the question of what we do in terms of our day-to-day diet and supplement intake and then there's what we do just before/during/immediately after a long ride. I don't think a lot about changing my day-to-day diet for cycling as I think it generally is pretty healthy. I do continue to refine what I may eat and drink the morning of a long ride, during the ride (especially on days that will turn very hot), and then immediately post ride to help with recovery.
Old 07-10-19, 09:02 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
The thing with glycogen is it takes about 72hrs from the time you ingest the carbs and you must drink a lot of water. Eating a big meal the night before does little to nothing. You have to plan it 3 days out. Load up on complex carbs 72 hours prior. Just prior to the ride, simple sugars are what will give you immediate energy.
Old 07-10-19, 09:08 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
A 5'7" French Blonde... keeps me going for the past 7 years, and counting....
Old 07-10-19, 12:48 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by KraneXL
True, but an accurate headline there would annoy many who think drugs are problems for the weak willed and the headline they used helps them sell more ad space.
Old 07-10-19, 01:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
A 5'7" French Blonde... keeps me going for the past 7 years, and counting....
pics?
Old 07-10-19, 01:54 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Beer and pizza. Not kidding, I had pizza for six meals last week, plenty of energy for a 400+ mile week.

I fueled back to back gravel centuries with twizzlers and fig newtons. People make this stuff way too complicated, just eat and move.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-10-19, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Beer and pizza. Not kidding, I had pizza for six meals last week, plenty of energy for a 400+ mile week.

I fueled back to back gravel centuries with twizzlers and fig newtons. People make this stuff way too complicated, just eat and move.
What's the best topping for energy?

Back to back gravel centuries? That's a lot of newtons and twizzlers! I'm impressed.
Old 07-10-19, 02:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by no motor?
True, but an accurate headline there would annoy many who think drugs are problems for the weak willed and the headline they used helps them sell more ad space.
First page of google results, the headlines are pretty clear as to what killed him. I deliberatley used protein shake instead of caffeine as the search term so as not to skew the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dies...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm glad this story is getting played up--I would have had no idea if I came across this stuff that it was so concentrated. A fatal caffeine overdose is otherwise almost unheard of.
Old 07-10-19, 03:03 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What's the best topping for energy?

Back to back gravel centuries? That's a lot of newtons and twizzlers! I'm impressed.
Ham and pineapple, protein and fruit, it's a full balanced meal!

Sleeve of fig newtons is about 900cal, half bag of twizzlers is about 800cal. So 1,700cal to fuel a lil over six hours of hard riding, sounds about right, 280cal/hr. Put them in baggies in the front pockets of my hydration vest, makes it easy to eat while riding.
Old 07-10-19, 04:08 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
People make this stuff way too complicated, just eat and move.
agreed! it's my favorite seeing top cyclists like lael wilcox mowing down on mc donalds cheese burgers while winning races like the trans am and setting tour divide records.
Old 07-10-19, 04:11 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by livedarklions
First page of google results, the headlines are pretty clear as to what killed him. I deliberatley used protein shake instead of caffeine as the search term so as not to skew the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dies...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm glad this story is getting played up--I would have had no idea if I came across this stuff that it was so concentrated. A fatal caffeine overdose is otherwise almost unheard of.
they estimated the powdered caffeine the dead guyadded to the protein powder was the equivalent of 25-50 cups of coffee per teaspoon.

Last edited by no motor?; 07-11-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 08:13 PM
Lesbrill54

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travgott
beer
Oh come now! We all know it's really coffee!
Old 07-11-19, 02:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
All supplements are drugs. It's a legal distinction created by lobbyists to avoid regulation as drugs. Concentrated caffeine powder was being marketed in the US as a supplement, which the FDA has kind of sort of banned by not allowing "individual" sales. I just found a site online where they will let you buy it with some dubious sounding credentials . I didn't enquire further, and for obvious reasons, I will not be posting a link.
That someone was able to put something that toxic on the market as a supplement should be an absolute scandal.
Old 07-11-19, 04:34 AM
StepDown

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding on ritalin, been doing it for years.

remaining in HIS peace

steppy
Old 07-11-19, 06:36 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
You know - this was the original posted question? And then the OP answered that he had an "iron clad" mix of supplements that worked for him.

My original answer tried to advise that most exercise efforts are ordinarily maintained through a high carbohydrate diet. However, specific situations - and the specific needs a any given cyclist during very hard efforts can vary significantly.

This is why the average energy drink or gel-pak can be too calorie dense or contain a less advantageous sugar-complex for certain riders. And if this isn't confusing enough, certain exercise nostrums may work perfectly for short intense efforts but leave you on the side of the rode during an all-day event.

My point - learn the science of nutrition first - and tweak your ride-diet to the variables surrounding your exercise intensity and your own known human idiosyncrasy.
Old 07-11-19, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Heed(tm) which is mostly maltodextrin (carbohydrate) with gel shots to supplement it.
Old 07-11-19, 07:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by StepDown
riding on ritalin...
Now we talkin’!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.