Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 12:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That sounds like the right combo. Thanks for the info.
Oops!
Just checked it while putting it back up on the rack and it's got a 52/34 combo. Gear inch numbers are solid, tho.
Old 07-16-19, 12:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Just finished up our hometown triathlon. My swim and everyone's was a bit slower due to the one of four portions being against a strong current. Oh well it was the same for every one alike. I'm not a strong swimmer. On the bike I let my Carbon Ironman down. The first half I went out entirely too fast and got it under control on the second half. I thought I would average higher by 2 mph but could only muster 20.4 mph on the short 20k. Well at least I felt good. On the run it took half of the 3.5 mile route to finally match my breathing rate with my running pace. You know where you're working hard but going nowhere.
I know from experience that as I do more triathlons during the season I just get progressively Faster. The problem is I only have one more scheduled and it's in late October. I used to do 2-3 a month during the season bitd. But you know how it is Life gets in the way.....wait did I say wife or life?
No matter I still placed first in the fogey 55-59. Although I'm dissatisfied with my cycling performance I did pass a mess of Carbon and one steel bike (mostly because of my swim seeding). Only two carbons passed me on the bike leg. They were moving and completely Carboned Out. I've got to do some interval work ala Doc or become a big gear masher like RT (as evidenced by breaking carbon, and sweating cable eyelets off), or maybe become smarter like Mr. Westi and just have another shot.
Meanwhile my Vintage Carbon Ironman had settled it's ticking issue. I can only guess it was the under used spokes settling back in.
My wife took a pic so I could put on here but I don't even like wearing the finishers medal much less a place medal. Btw , back in the day it was trophies, I miss that. However I did notice the first master and grandmaster (not sure what age that is) got a type of trophy. I told my wife that i want That, and she looked at my belly and said are you sure? I know I can be a better athlete, and I'm gonna set my goals and try to do that and I'm Gonna Do It.....but do I really have to diet? I currently eat like I m doing Twice the distance training I actually am. Let's keep those freewheels turning Irongents but now at warp speed.
Well done. Checking Strava, I'm not sure I've ever sustained 20+ mph for more than 5 miles even on relatively flat terrain here -- which we don't have much of. If I can crack 20 mph on some stretches of my two favorite training routes I might be ready to tackle a time trial again.

On the plus side, my climbing is getting better. I'm not any stronger, but losing 10-15 lbs since last year helped.
Old 07-16-19, 02:35 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
On the plus side, my climbing is getting better. I'm not any stronger, but losing 10-15 lbs since last year helped.
You Sure that wasn't the trekenstein?
Man I did the C-Cat test on my Dura Ace equipped Carbon Ironman and.....it failed. ONE revolution. I noticed (when I compared it to my others) the rear derailleur moved a lot during the test. I know I did a complete breakdown when I built it But, I re-oiled the RD pulleys anyways and it fixed it.
C-Cat test: 100% Pass.
Old 07-16-19, 02:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You Sure that wasn't the trekenstein?
My climbing is even better with the Trekenstein!

Semi-seriously, I lost weight last year during that bout with thyroid cancer. I was on a mostly liquid and soft food diet for months -- couldn't swallow solid food. And I gave up beer because I couldn't metabolize alcohol. Between the two I was losing weight but it was body fat, so no harm done.

By the time I was back in shape I figured I'd just try to keep the weight down. But 145 felt too hard to maintain, so I'm up to 150 now and eating pretty normally. But beer still doesn't like me so I drink only a few a month with food. That was probably my main junk carb food source.

I weighed 165 when I got the Ironman in summer 2016. So climbing is definitely easier now, even with my 30 lb Univega.

Man I did the C-Cat test on my Dura Ace equipped Carbon Ironman and.....it failed. ONE revolution. I noticed (when I compared it to my others) the rear derailleur moved a lot during the test. I know I did a complete breakdown when I built it But, I re-oiled the RD pulleys anyways and it fixed it.
C-Cat test: 100% Pass.
Yeah, that silly little backward pedal spin test is handy. Replacing the jockey wheels on my Ironman's GPX RD solved that problem. Now it's the smoothest running of my three main bikes. I almost regard my Ironman as my comfort bike now, it's such a pleasure to ride. Part of that was physical therapy to get my upper body back in shape.

But the Shimano 600, Deore and Exage RDs already have smooth running pulleys so it's not as big a deal. They all have the Centeron upper pulley. The 600 I recently bought from another BF member came with an old red anodized aluminum Bullseye sealed bearing pulley, so it didn't need to be replaced.

Still, at only around $15 a set those Tacx sealed bearing pulleys are worthwhile. Highly recommended for fine tuning a bike after trying everything else to squeeze out every available Watt without getting crazy.
Old 07-16-19, 03:03 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Just finished up our hometown triathlon. My swim and everyone's was a bit slower due to the one of four portions being against a strong current. Oh well it was the same for every one alike. I'm not a strong swimmer. On the bike I let my Carbon Ironman down. The first half I went out entirely too fast and got it under control on the second half. I thought I would average higher by 2 mph but could only muster 20.4 mph on the short 20k. Well at least I felt good. On the run it took half of the 3.5 mile route to finally match my breathing rate with my running pace. You know where you're working hard but going nowhere.
I know from experience that as I do more triathlons during the season I just get progressively Faster. The problem is I only have one more scheduled and it's in late October. I used to do 2-3 a month during the season bitd. But you know how it is Life gets in the way.....wait did I say wife or life?
No matter I still placed first in the fogey 55-59. Although I'm dissatisfied with my cycling performance I did pass a mess of Carbon and one steel bike (mostly because of my swim seeding). Only two carbons passed me on the bike leg. They were moving and completely Carboned Out. I've got to do some interval work ala Doc or become a big gear masher like RT (as evidenced by breaking carbon, and sweating cable eyelets off), or maybe become smarter like Mr. Westi and just have another shot.
Meanwhile my Vintage Carbon Ironman had settled it's ticking issue. I can only guess it was the under used spokes settling back in.
My wife took a pic so I could put on here but I don't even like wearing the finishers medal much less a place medal. Btw , back in the day it was trophies, I miss that. However I did notice the first master and grandmaster (not sure what age that is) got a type of trophy. I told my wife that i want That, and she looked at my belly and said are you sure? I know I can be a better athlete, and I'm gonna set my goals and try to do that and I'm Gonna Do It.....but do I really have to diet? I currently eat like I m doing Twice the distance training I actually am. Let's keep those freewheels turning Irongents but now at warp speed.
I hated losing more than I loved winning when I was younger. But as we get wiser, we need to realize the accomplishments themselves dwarf any $15 plastic trophy. Don't know what percentage of the population can complete what you just completed, but I'm guessing single digits. In most cases, I would agree with your sentiments about a finishers medal, but not when it comes to a triathlon. Display it with pride.
Old 07-16-19, 03:37 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
My climbing is even better with the Trekenstein!

Semi-seriously, I lost weight last year during that bout with thyroid cancer. I was on a mostly liquid and soft food diet for months -- couldn't swallow solid food. And I gave up beer because I couldn't metabolize alcohol. Between the two I was losing weight but it was body fat, so no harm done.

By the time I was back in shape I figured I'd just try to keep the weight down. But 145 felt too hard to maintain, so I'm up to 150 now and eating pretty normally. But beer still doesn't like me so I drink only a few a month with food. That was probably my main junk carb food source.

I weighed 165 when I got the Ironman in summer 2016. So climbing is definitely easier now.
MAN!, if I could get down to 145 I'd be a Monster. I weighed myself race morning (430am) and not only did I Not make my goal weight of 175 but I also gained a pound since my last weigh in (178-179). I wasn't that surprised, as I had been battling a sinus condition for 2 weeks and the last week had pared down my training and not so much my eating.
But I'm committed to get down to 165 before October 27 for our towns Half Ironman. So, 14 more POUNDS to go.
IRONMAN Official Site | IRONMAN triathlon 140.6 & 70.3
Old 07-16-19, 04:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
MAN!, if I could get down to 145 I'd be a Monster. I weighed myself race morning (430am) and not only did I Not make my goal weight of 175 but I also gained a pound since my last weigh in (178-179). I wasn't that surprised, as I had been battling a sinus condition for 2 weeks and the last week had pared down my training and not so much my eating.
But I'm committed to get down to 165 before October 27 for our towns Half Ironman. So, 14 more POUNDS to go.
I forgot to offer congrats on the winning the age group. So, congrats! Keep it up.
Old 07-16-19, 05:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
@texaspandj , Congrats on your first place !

Old 07-16-19, 07:01 PM
markwesti

Miami Vice $50 . Not mine and I don't know the owner . A real pearl in the ruff .

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...927126359.html

Old 07-17-19, 12:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You'll be strong like bull at 165. But even 170-175 would be good. You know from martial arts and trying to make weight there's always a gray zone where we suddenly get weaker beyond a certain limit, and often it's a matter of only 1 or 2 lbs.

My trick is to do a fasting ride occasionally, maybe once a week. I'll just have coffee, then do a very easy to moderate hour on the trainer or my favorite nearby 5 mile training loop (actually, everybody's favorite -- the local pro Team Elevate train their too, but it happens to be only a mile from me) and do a few laps. It's not even cardio effort, just moving the legs. Sometimes instead I'll take my Univega hybrid and just piddle-pedal into town, which takes about an hour.

There are a couple of friendly casual group rides I tag onto once a week or so. Those are sustainable fasting or semi-fasting. Like this evening (Tuesday) I'll get in about 40-50 miles, averaging about 14-15 mph. I'll take a couple of Clif mocha gels just in case I feel bonky, but usually all I need is plenty of water. Then I'll eat after I finish.

Usually I prefer the Ironman for those longer rides. It's more comfy. Tonight I took the Trekenstein and my neck was aching the last 10 miles.

But until I was certain I could handle fasting rides I did 'em on the indoor trainer. No problems with bonking, just gotta keep the effort low. Drink lots of water. I usually add a little creatine with BCAA's and other stuff recently. Dunno if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

It's amazing how much easier climbs are now with a little less weight. And I'm not really any stronger.

But I need to be careful and not overdo it. I tried just eating one proper meal a day, cutting way back on the carbs and sugar. I started getting the dreaded "keto flu" symptoms -- achy, weak, grumpy, and a few other dwarfs. A couple of friends fussed at me for getting too skinny. So I'm comfy at 150. I still have about 3 lbs of pudge around the middle but I don't care. The last few pounds are always the hardest, and I'm not gonna get obsessive over it. I like my chocolate malts at Braum's and donuts at QT or Dunkins.

I'd better get to bed. I have physical therapy in the morning. There's a Dunkin Donuts just behind the PT clinic. They have a double chocolate gut buster with my name on it. Then I'll do a 30 minute HIIT session to burn it off.
Old 07-17-19, 12:58 PM
BCATC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hypothetical situation. You have the option to pick up a blue smoke iron man(not sure if Master or Expert) that may or may not have all original parts at a cheaper price($150) or a 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS in great condition ($195). What would you do?
Old 07-17-19, 01:38 PM
markwesti

Well you are on the Ironman page . But lets talk about this for a minute , how are you going to use this bike ? Commuter with racks and fenders ? Racer / workout bike ? Blank canvas and turn it into something over the top ? We can help .
Old 07-17-19, 01:46 PM
BCATC

Originally Posted by markwesti
Well you are on the Ironman page . But lets talk about this for a minute , how are you going to use this bike ? Commuter with racks and fenders ? Racer / workout bike ? Blank canvas and turn it into something over the top ? We can help .
I already have a stump jumper with fenders and racks for touring/long distance so I will more than likely keep it as a fun workout road bike. I’d like to fit the widest tires I can and maybe convert to a 10-11 speed in the future while
maintaining the aesthetic at most, though I’m not sure how well DT shifters work with more gears.

Last edited by BCATC; 07-17-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 01:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
If you want wide tires, the IM can maybe squeeze in some 28s. Don’t know about the RS. If you don’t get the IM, you will wish you did.
Old 07-17-19, 02:05 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
I would personally go for the Ironman over the LeMan, the frame alone is better the Ironman has Tange #1 and if i remember right the LeMans has Tange Infinity.

components wise If its a Blue Smoke then its a Expert with Suntour GPX, which can be a nice running groupset. the LeMans i believe is Shimano Light Action, which is also a decent groupset .

Overall i think the IM would be a better buy in the long run.
Old 07-17-19, 04:10 PM
markwesti

10-11 speed might be a problem , frame spacing and all . I'm not really the best one to ask , others here are so much more knowledgeable on that . Will you be riding hills ? Maybe a triple would work . And I don't know about DT shifters either . Just putting on the widest tire you can fit and then running a lower pressure IMO would be self defeating on a IM . If it were me I would fit 22mm sew ups . If you have never run tubulars before you are in for a treat .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-Pack-...sAAOSwfA5crPNE

Old 07-17-19, 05:21 PM
BCATC

10-11 speed might be a problem , frame spacing and all . I'm not really the best one to ask , others here are so much more knowledgeable on that . Will you be riding hills ? Maybe a triple would work . And I don't know about DT shifters either . Just putting on the widest tire you can fit and then running a lower pressure IMO would be self defeating on a IM . If it were me I would fit 22mm sew ups . If you have never run tubulars before you are in for a treat .
Unfortunately for me, the Iron Man just sold right under my nose when I had planned to meet with the seller tomorrow. Tragic day, but I’ll continue to think about the Le Mans RS...
Old 07-17-19, 05:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC
Hypothetical situation. You have the option to pick up a blue smoke iron man(not sure if Master or Expert) that may or may not have all original parts at a cheaper price($150) or a 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS in great condition ($195). What would you do?
The '89 Lemans RS is Tange 2
The '89 Ironman (all) is Tange 1
For a 58cm frame, the Tange 2 is 2.2 ounces heavier.

But, The Lemans RS has greater tire clearance, and eyelets. So, fenders are easy. Racks are easy. The geometry is slightly relaxed. The Ironman is a race bike, the Lemans RS is a sport bike. 99.9% of us can't ride either to any advantage over the other. We just tell ourselves so.

If you are going to commute, ride for pleasure AND go hectic, get the Lemans RS. The group is just as good, the wheels are a bit heavier, and it has a future doing "whatever."

If you have not grown up yet, get the Ironman. Like the rest of us.

10sp, 11sp? No problem.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-17-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 09:44 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Miami Vice $50 . Not mine and I don't know the owner . A real pearl in the ruff .

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...927126359.html

And another sales ad that uses Vintage-Centurion.com!
Old 07-18-19, 04:39 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by fleslider
And another sales ad that uses Vintage-Centurion.com!
Old 07-18-19, 06:12 AM
seypat

The Lemans has eyelets also. That's a big plus for most people not named Robbie.

I spotted a couple of Old School rides in the area that can illustrate the difference:

First, we have the Ironman. Sleek, powerful and sexy. A chick magnet. Nice ride, but not much utility.

Then we have the Lemans. Wicked cool in a different sort of way. Maybe not a chick magnet, but definitely turns heads wherever it goes. Probably the same engine. Maybe even more power. Smooth ride and loaded with utility. It might be the better overall daily driver.

Old 07-18-19, 06:19 AM
texaspandj

^^^Bahaha
Old 07-18-19, 07:23 AM
seypat

Imagine rolling into the parking lot at the local tri and pulling a Black Dog out of the back of that Hearse. That would strike fear into the hearts of the other competitors. Although, I have heard on the radio that some people don't fear the Reaper.
Old 07-18-19, 07:46 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC
I already have a stump jumper with fenders and racks for touring/long distance so I will more than likely keep it as a fun workout road bike. I’d like to fit the widest tires I can and maybe convert to a 10-11 speed in the future while
maintaining the aesthetic at most, though I’m not sure how well DT shifters work with more gears.
You can get Dura Ace 10 speed downtube shifters new and they work great. I have a set on both my Ironman bikes. 11 speed would require you to run brifters.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Du...RoCmicQAvD_BwE

Running a 130mm rear wheel requires nothing more than a little extra effort to slip it between the dropouts, or you can cold set the frame.

Last edited by TXsailor; 07-18-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 02:02 PM
markwesti

OK , this is pretty cool . Anybody out there modifying a Turbo TT frame ? I mean really , rack mounts on a TT bike ? OK on the other hand they did put water bottle mounts on their track bike . Well I guess it would be easier to just cut the rack mounts off , but then it would not say Centurion . So these would give a builder awesome cred . Well on closer look tullio lost the RD drop out so never mind .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTURION-B...00ba%7Ciid%3A1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.