Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to front drum brake?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Upgrade to front drum brake?

Old 07-18-19, 10:23 AM
jpc2001
No Motor Vehicles

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Super LeTour, '84 Miyata 310, '76 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 15 Posts
Taking my own thread off-topic again.

On the Schwinn, before investing >$250 in a wheel build around a drum brake, I'm going to try a modern dual-pivot caliper and see if that's sufficient. The bike already has an alloy front wheel, not steel, so it shouldn't be too bad. I have a Tekro R559 caliper on order ($23 on amazon.) If that's still hot garbage, there's still the option for a drum brake wheel.

On the new bike, I upgraded the front rollerbrake to a BR-C6000-F. It's much stronger than the original brake -- whether that's because this one's newer, or larger, I can't say. But it stops quick!! I added some rollerbrake grease in case there wasn't enough in there from the factory. This bike just needs a pannier rack, a non-awful saddle, non-incredibly-slippy pedals, non-decaying-foam-rubber grips, and a new stem to lower the handlebars and then it'll join the active commute fleet.
Old 07-18-19, 12:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Brake technology, no matter how sophisticated, cannot get around immutable laws of physics. Single pivot and dual pivot sidepulls can all endo a bike with the right brakepads installed. And you should want that. A brake that CANNOT endo is a brake that is not superior. Period. All brakes rely on the rider to apply the brake properly. If you are right hooked and your reaction time is too slow, you will either hit the car, or endo, but there is no brake made that can save you from both at once. Only being an aware rider who can read the situation and predict the unpredictable will save the day. I would consider it a real waste of money to build a 700C wheelset with new 70mm drums for an aging Schwinn 27" chassis. Dual pivot Tektro's with decent pads, or premium pads if you prefer, but if the DP's cannot stop you to your liking, then work on your stopping because it isn't the brakes that need improvement.
Old 07-18-19, 05:25 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My Sturmey drums have inadequate stopping power. I'm taking the bike into the shop soon, maybe they're not adjusted right.
Old 07-19-19, 08:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
My Sturmey drums have inadequate stopping power. I'm taking the bike into the shop soon, maybe they're not adjusted right.
How long have you had them? They need a break-in period.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-19-19, 08:27 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How long have you had them? They need a break-in period.
I didn't know that, but over 6 months. I ride the bike 3-5 times a week but only a few miles each day. Will see how things are after a good mechanic has gotten to them.
Old 07-19-19, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
I didn't know that, but over 6 months. I ride the bike 3-5 times a week but only a few miles each day. Will see how things are after a good mechanic has gotten to them.
That's well beyond the break-in period. I hope a mechanic figures out the problem.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.