Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on frame size

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-19-07, 06:55 PM
bbwolfy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am very interesrted in purchasing a Giant OCR2 or FCR2 road bike . I am 6ft tall with a 32 in. inseam , my question is the xl frame gonna be too tall? I have a Cypress DX frame size xl and love the riding position but the bike is heavy. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanx.
Old 02-19-07, 09:43 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if you have a 32 inseam then typically your frame size will be 55 and/or 56. But your looking at bikes that don't measure that way, they just say XL or L or M or S? If the bikes in question come only in 3 or 4 sizes usually a 32 inseam is a medium to long; XL would be more for the guy who has a 34 and greater inseam. You need to test ride different sizes to see which one fits best.
Old 02-19-07, 09:59 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ML, Imo
Old 02-19-07, 11:29 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32" pants inseam?
Old 02-19-07, 11:31 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the inseam is the pants variety, you will likely need in the range of a 57/58 cm frame size.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 02-20-07, 04:33 AM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Inside leg measurement is often referred to as inseam, but has nothing to do with pant size. It is the measurement from crotch (Perineal area.) to floor without shoes.

I have some information on frame sizing on my website here, and on my bike blog here.
Old 02-20-07, 06:27 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Dave, I like your chart as a broad generalization, but how do you account for the common difference between men and women. Women usually have longer legs and shorter torsos than men do?

Or a better question might be how does a woman interpret your chart?
Old 02-20-07, 07:17 AM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Dave, I like your chart as a broad generalization, but how do you account for the common difference between men and women. Women usually have longer legs and shorter torsos than men do?

Or a better question might be how does a woman interpret your chart?
The torso is taken into account by overall height less leg length. Look for the line that has your overall height, and the line that has your inseam. Your frame size will be somewhere in between.

Take into account your shoe size; the smaller your foot length go towards the smaller size frame, and vice-versa for a longer foot. The chart lists men’s shoe sizes only so convert to the nearest woman’s size.

Although women generally have longer legs for their height, they usually have smaller (shorter) feet than men. The toe is pointing downwards at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so the foot becomes an extension of the leg.

It is possible for a man and woman to be roughly the same overall height and have the same seat height (frame size) even though the woman has a longer inseam, the man has a longer foot.

In this same scenario the woman would probably use a shorter stem than the man would, because of her shorter body. For the same reason the woman might want to lean toward a smaller frame to have a shorter top tube.
Old 02-20-07, 07:18 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bbwolfy
I am very interesrted in purchasing a Giant OCR2 or FCR2 road bike . I am 6ft tall with a 32 in. inseam , my question is the xl frame gonna be too tall? I have a Cypress DX frame size xl and love the riding position but the bike is heavy. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanx.
Hell yes. a L or a ML is in your range.
Old 02-20-07, 09:04 AM
CreepShow
Stay gold

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Endurace; 2014 Cannondale Trail 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about your size but with a 33" inseam and ride a ML TCR. I don't think the OCR (of the aluminum material) line has a ML like the TCR line does.
Old 02-20-07, 10:38 AM
bbwolfy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measured my self today and surprise , I have a 34 in length inseam ( from taint to floor). I sat on a L FCR and felt slightly cramped . Thank you guys very much for your help>