Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Pedal extenders

Old 01-22-16, 12:46 PM
Sweetheart14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal extenders

A while ago, my husband made me a set of pedal extenders. It really made my weekend riding much more enjoyable. So much so we decided to make them and sell them. It has been going well. I now have a question. A few people have asked for a set threaded to 14mm. Is this something we should make?

Thank you,

Sweetheart14.
Old 01-22-16, 01:00 PM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Just Fyi regarding a pedal extender recall:
Specialized recalling Body Geometry pedal extenders | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Old 01-22-16, 01:56 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you,
I had saw that before we started making them. We make our own. We have tested them on a 20 ton press. The crank arm broke before the pedal extender. From what I have read, these were made in China. There are others out there like the ones that broke. All made in China.
Old 01-23-16, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
AKA Knee Savers (USA made) Kneesavers | Randy Ice | bicycle pedal extenders | mountain bikes | custom bike pedals | Pedal Adapters

I fitted a set on my touring bike so my insulated water resistant shoe covers didn't wear..
rubbing against the crank arm every time around..

1/2" on one end. 9/16 on the other is currently made..

14 mm (Old French Bikes ) and 9/16 on the other end .. would be a small market, sell a very few, every year..
but OK.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-23-16 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 04:11 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information.
Old 02-11-16, 07:28 AM
JackstandJohnny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know that these already exist and are readily available on eBay for less than $15, right? I need a set for my bike as I'm an above knee amputee and need to distance my false foot from the crank arm to prevent striking it. You can buy them in a variety of sizes. I'm not trying g to be rude or anything. I'm just saying that companies are already mass producing them and they sell super cheap.
Old 03-06-16, 09:50 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few years back I thought about getting pedal extenders since my leg has been shattered
above & below the knee & has taken on a somewhat unique shape. The other leg didn't
fare much better with a shattered kneecap & 2 severed tendons. Anyway when I priced them,
I balked since they cost more than pedals which didn't seem right. At 67 I still ride more than
I drive, but my knees were starting to go, so I finally broke down & bought a pair. Now I
could just kick myself for not having done so sooner. They've made a huge difference in the
amount of stress on my knees as well as increasing the power I can put to the pedals.
If you're starting to have knee issues, don't wait; get a pair and see the difference. I just
ordered 3 more pr. for my other 3 bikes.
Old 03-07-16, 11:16 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
rawly old: Good for you! And even better that you have FOUR BIKES!
Old 03-15-16, 02:05 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ones on ebay for $15.00 and less are mine. We have them in 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm. We do mass produce them. A few 100 at a time. We are not trying to get rich off of them. cherryboy.t
Sweetheart14.
Old 06-30-16, 06:58 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 23mm version I picked up just a few days ago from my LBS. I really enjoy having my entire foot on my platform pedals now. Wish I had picked up a set years ago. Not sure where mine were made though .
Old 07-04-16, 08:07 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ours come with 2) 2mm spacers for each extender to fine tune the distance of the pedal extender. Glad to see you have picked up a set no matter where you get them. They do really help. I know after I installed mine. It made riding so much better. I am riding allot more.
Old 08-25-16, 12:55 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a spacer for my right pedal. Im trying decide between that or a toe strap...
Old 08-30-16, 02:40 PM
rawly old

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got 4 sets of Sweetheart's now. I'm a big guy. If anyone could break them, I'd be the guy. (I hate it
when my PC shifts fonts for no apparent reason & then won't let me shift back.)
A toe strap can be a toe trap. Used 'em a lot when young; not anymore.
Old 08-30-16, 07:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweetheart14
A while ago, my husband made me a set of pedal extenders. It really made my weekend riding much more enjoyable. So much so we decided to make them and sell them. It has been going well. I now have a question. A few people have asked for a set threaded to 14mm. Is this something we should make?

Thank you,

Sweetheart14.

Are you able to PM me a link to your pedal extenders please.

Also are you able to ship to Australia without the shipping cost being higher than the cost of the pedal extenders?
Old 09-06-16, 10:07 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rawly old
I've got 4 sets of Sweetheart's now. I'm a big guy. If anyone could break them, I'd be the guy. (I hate it
when my PC shifts fonts for no apparent reason & then won't let me shift back.)
A toe strap can be a toe trap. Used 'em a lot when young; not anymore.
Thank you for liking our pedal extenders, we really work hard to make our pedal extenders top quality and affordable to everybody.
Old 09-06-16, 10:10 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Are you able to PM me a link to your pedal extenders please.

Also are you able to ship to Australia without the shipping cost being higher than the cost of the pedal extenders?
We have shipped many to Australia. Even today we just shipped an order to New South Wales Australia. The shipping was a little under $20.00 American, but even with the $20.00 shipping, the total cost of ours is about the same as others without shipping.
Save
Old 09-06-16, 04:21 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
We have shipped many to Australia. Even today we just shipped an order to New South Wales Australia. The shipping was a little under $20.00 American, but even with the $20.00 shipping, the total cost of ours is about the same as others without shipping.
Save
I guess if I have kind of been able to get by without them, then I probably only need the 20mm version?
Old 09-10-16, 10:27 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 20mm version is $12.00, the 25mm is $15.00 and the 30mm is $18.00
Old 10-25-16, 01:36 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal extender

We have redesigned our wrench to fit pedals that have a 8mm hex on the inside.
Old 11-21-16, 11:38 AM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you,

Sweetheart14.
I've never had knee issues altho my knees are kinda crooked lol, I've also never had a proper bike fitting. whay kind of issues can come from needing extenders and not using them orrr with not having had problems should I be at all considering them?... I should probably mention , I have never been nor will I ever be a"spinner", cadence means nothing to me, when I was young I always stood up on the pedals to climb and it worked just fine I see no reason to change it now

Last edited by keg61; 11-21-16 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 02:32 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keg61
I've never had knee issues altho my knees are kinda crooked lol, I've also never had a proper bike fitting. whay kind of issues can come from needing extenders and not using them orrr with not having had problems should I be at all considering them?... I should probably mention , I have never been nor will I ever be a"spinner", cadence means nothing to me, when I was young I always stood up on the pedals to climb and it worked just fine I see no reason to change it now

Hello,
I am sure others can answer some of these things better than I can. As stated I saw them and my husband made me a set of them. It made my rides so much more comfortable. We have had many customers write us and tell us of their condition and how much of a difference our extenders have made. There are also some really great papers out there on this. I hope this help?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-16, 04:23 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 59 Posts
After being hit by a motorcycle on Grizzly Peak in Berkeley which shattered my legs (among other things) I ended up with a setup using a titanium extender from Kneesavers along with the longest Speedplay spindle they make. That took care of ensuring I have adequate clearance and don't hit my heel on the crank arm. The only drawback (aside from the cost) was that I have significantly reduced cornering clearance when pedaling, which doesn't bother me much since I'm usually not pedaling when I'm going fast enough for it to matter (since in those cases I'm almost always on a steep downhill). Love the set-up though and I bring it with me when renting bikes in other countries without issue.
Old 12-05-16, 07:46 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I have talked about making titanium extenders. The cost is expensive and we don't know how well they would sell. Does titanium make that much of a difference? Is there a demand for titanium extenders?
Old 12-07-16, 03:30 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We made a install video. Tell me what you think..
Old 12-12-16, 11:41 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 59 Posts
My husband and I have talked about making titanium extenders. The cost is expensive and we don't know how well they would sell. Does titanium make that much of a difference? Is there a demand for titanium extenders?
Nice video, @Sweetheart14. I think for enough people titanium makes a difference. I have a very lightweight bike and it was enough of a difference for me to go titanium. I bought mine from kneesavers dot net years ago. I just took a look now and the cost difference from them is $25 vs $65 for titanium (for one pedal).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.