Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Locating commuting/lt. trail/everything bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 05:05 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts

Easy, you say. But how about one that comes with 650 wheels in xs/s? So far I've found the Kona Dew Plus and the Surly Disc Trucker. Are there any others out there that aren't kids bikes or mountain bikes?
Old 05-05-18, 06:59 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Easy, you say. But how about one that comes with 650 wheels in xs/s? So far I've found the Kona Dew Plus and the Surly Disc Trucker. Are there any others out there that aren't kids bikes or mountain bikes?
If you are interested in building your own bike, the Soma Wolverine frameset is very versatile. Steel frame, 650b or 700c, up to 55 650b tires or 50 700c tires (45 with fenders), geared, IGH or single speed, chain or belt, disc brakes, drops or flat bars. If you don't want to build, Joe-Bike has a few already built and will customize them. Just a thought.
Old 05-05-18, 08:53 PM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There’s a Surly Straggler in 650b small sizes. I absolutely love my straggler, it’s a great SUV of a bike. I commute on the road every day, take it on some trails now and then. It’s great as an only-bike
Old 05-06-18, 08:51 AM
stringsonbikes

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dew is a flat bar bike and the trucker has drops. Which are you looking for? Jamis renegade is 650b in smallest sizes, all city space horse and maybe other models, Marin nicasio rc, surly midnight special and pack rat. There are many more out there depending on price range and what you are looking for.
Old 05-06-18, 10:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Some manufacturers only sell XS in the women’s models
Old 05-06-18, 12:39 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Not sure how small would be small enough for you, but Salsa Journeyman is available in 650b drop bar and 650b flat bar configurations.

-Kedosto
Old 05-07-18, 09:15 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, that's a lot to look at.

I'm not that short, 5' 4", but it occurred to me that putting 700c wheels on a small bike is a bit like putting Magic Johnson's shoes on Sally Field; clown shoes ensue.
Old 05-07-18, 12:56 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

I'm not that short, 5' 4", but it occurred to me that putting 700c wheels on a small bike is a bit like putting Magic Johnson's shoes on Sally Field; clown shoes ensue.
I'm a little taller than 6' and ride the largest standard sized Hardrock they made when it was new - with 26" wheels. My GF is maybe 5' and rides a 17" Trek Multisport with 700C wheels. She knows which shoes go with which outfit, but doesn't see the difference in frame and wheels sizes when our bikes are together.
Old 05-07-18, 04:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts

Well, 650B is only a slightly shorter clown shoe. It's still a clown shoe, however. If you use the same tire diameter, a 584mm wheel (650B) lowers the bike about 0.75" than a 622mm wheel (700C). A 571mm wheel (650C) lowers the bike about 1" while a 559mm wheel (26") gives lowers it about 1.25". You aren't that short but for smaller people, that extra 1.25" is critical.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-18, 10:49 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

You are absolutely right. 700c wheels are optimized for a person quite a bit taller than 5' 4". Designing a small frame around large wheels often involves compromises to the geometry that I would avoid (specifically, they make the seat tube too steep, the bottom bracket too high, and the handlebar is still too high). I don't recall exactly where these compromises become obligatory, but I believe at 5' 4" you are already well into that range.

But as @cyccommute noted, 650b is really only a little smaller than 700c (depending on the tires). You would be better off on 650c or even 26" (by which I mean the mountain bike size) wheels.

I realize I have not answered your question. It is not easy to find a well designed bike for a small rider.
Old 05-08-18, 11:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Some of the premium kid bike brands have lately been pushing up to adolescent size bikes. Check out Frog, Cleary, Woom, Islabikes. Some of these just released new models in tween sizes that aren’t for sale yet

Sea Otter 2018: Kids' bike brands move young riders up the age spectrum | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Old 05-09-18, 08:21 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
My partner is 5'4" as well. She prefers 26 inch wheels on her bikes. She has two main commuter/daily ride bikes, both with 26 inch wheels.
One is an early-mid 90's Trek 830 women's step through mountain bike frame. Set up as commuting/touring/multi surface ride. Hand built wheels, Brooks saddle, modern stem and handlebars, Continental Tour Ride tires, fenders, front and rear racks. Comfortable, versatile bike

Her favorite, though, is a 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ 26 inch wheels. Coffee/Latte color, drop bars, RackTime front and rear racks, RackTime trunk bag, Serfas Drifter tires, SKS fenders, etc.

On another note, 700C wheels :
We have two female friends that have Kona Coco's and love them.

KONA BIKES | ROAD | DEW | Coco

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-09-18 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-18, 01:05 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

It's interesting that Surly seems to be the only bike co. that routinely puts smaller wheels and shorter crank arms on their smaller frames. If I had the lettuce, I'd totally buy a Disc Trucker. Or a Straggler. Or maybe a Midnight Special. Or... Since I don't have the lettuce, I'll just do the best I can with my current ride; my Jones Loop Bar is in the mail! (The shorter stem and other adjustments will be soon.)

Old 05-11-18, 04:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
That ^^ is the problem with putting a small person on large wheels. The headset is actually higher than the seat, so the handlebar is necessarily even higher, resulting in an upright position, all the rider's weight on the saddle, inefficient pedaling, and so on. Pretty terrible.

One wonders how the industry can get away with it, but of course the person riding a bike like that has never had a chance to ride a bike that fits and had no idea what it could be like.

We, all of us, taller and shorter people alike, use the same stairs. The standard step rise, whatever it is, feels normal to everyone. Crank arms are the same way; anyone can ride a bike with 170mm crank arms, and since that's what most bikes come with, that's what most people have, and it feels normal. That's not to say it's the correct length, but no one complains.

Edit: corrections made.

Last edited by rhm; 05-11-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-11-18, 09:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
That ^^ is the problem with pouring a small person on large wheels. The headset is actually lower than the seat, so the handlebar is necessarily even higher, resulting in an upright position, all the rider's weight on the saddle, inefficient pedaling, and so on. Pretty terrible.
I think you got that backwards. The bottom of the headset is higher than the saddle. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by rhm
One wonders how the industry can get away with it, but of course the person riding a bike like that has never had a chance to ride a bike that fits and had no idea what it could be like.

We, all of us, taller and shorter people alike, use the same stairs. The standard step rise, whatever it is, feels normal to everyone. Crank arms are the same way; anyone can ride a bike with 170mm crank arms, and since that's what most bikes come with, that's what most people have, and it feels normal. That's not to say it's the correct length, but no one complains.
You've kind of hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. It took the better part of 25 years to convince my 5' tall wife that her bikes were too big. Her first "10 speed" was a 27" Sears bike which, in actuality, was sized for my "normal" frame. In other words, it was likely a 23" frame (58cm for the rest of the world). When she stopped on the bike, she would have to hook one leg over the top tube at the knee so that she could touch the ground with the other one. It didn't help matters any that for most of that 25 years the bikes that she had to choose were 19" "small" bikes that were still 3" to 4" too tall. She still had to hook a knee over the bar but at least she could get her foot flat on the ground at a stop.

To experience the same thing, I would need to ride a 30" (76cm) frame. No even makes something that large. I have had occasion to ride a 63cm frame...my normal frame is a 58cm...and I couldn't stand to ride it around the block!

Things have gotten better but bike manufacturers seem to have back slide a bit lately. Carbon frames have kind of put the sizes back in that 19" frame is for small people mindset. It's getting a little better but there still needs to be work done. I also don't understand it from a manufacturer perspective as well. Why are you neglecting such a huge potential market?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-11-18, 01:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

You are right - it is hard to create the right "trail" on a small frame with large wheels without some funky geometry. Canyon makes a lot of 650b wheeled bikes in the smaller sizes. They can explain it better than I can (and a picture):

Achieving the desired trail values on any frame size smaller than XS is limited by the fact you need a longer wheelbase and super slack head angle just to accommodate 700C wheels, which inevitably results in more trail and slower handling. Equipping 650B wheels on our two smallest sizes (2XS and 3XS) eradicates sloppy handling thanks to reduced trail and wheelbase, plus a steeper head angle. The rider also gains from a much more balanced position on the bike.

Old 05-11-18, 03:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by rhm
That ^^ is the problem with putting a small person on large wheels. The headset is actually higher than the seat, so the handlebar is necessarily even higher, resulting in an upright position, all the rider's weight on the saddle, inefficient pedaling, and so on.
Actually, I put too much weight on my hands, so I get numbness and tingling. Two years and I'm still trying to work out the fit. Unfortunately the mostly young guys in the bike shops aren't helpful, as they look at my bike and say it's fine, without ever seeing me on it. Because unisex/normal = male. Frustrating. Unless I shell out $150 for a fitting, well beyond what I need, but no one around here has a $50 'watch me ride and offer advice' service.

After looking around and drooling at the pretties, I looked at my sad, undernourished bank account and decided that I was just suffering from a case of n+1. I'll have to keep what I have and get it to fit as well as it can.

Or throw reason to the wind and buy that Kona Dew Plus.
Old 05-11-18, 04:24 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Round up as much data as you can from your current bike and any bike you think you'd like to try, and plug everything in here: Stack and reach calculator

You'll get a pretty good idea about what may or may not work for you, without spending any $.

-Kedosto
Old 05-11-18, 08:22 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Even though it is built on 700C wheels, check out the saddle to handlebar relationship on the Kona Coco. Pretty neutral. One of the things I like about that bike as an affordable commuter choice.
Old 05-11-18, 09:04 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
funny how in this thread everyone is trying to get your bars lower. for me i am always trying to get them higher.