Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help me choose between two similar bicycles.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 02:25 PM
LanghamP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First post and of course it is one of those, "I've been a lurker for several years, especially when I need to figure out what part works with what, but now that I'm actually doing a bike purchase then I guess I'll register."

I have two similar bikes, both within $100 of each other, yet I find it very difficult to choose between them.

(No URL due to under 10 post count.)

Motobecane Mulekick

Motobecane Fantom

To be honest with myself the looks of the Fantom resonate with me; I love the flat top tube and muscular straight forks, it looks like a Bull Terrier. However, my personal experience with flat top tubes is they are quite hard to properly fit; a short enough top tube then results in a bike that feels a tad small, but then a proper reach puts too much pressure on my hands.

And that Fantom head tube looks seriously short!

On my road bike I have set the handlebar quite low and it seems just fine; the problem arises taking my 25c tires off road just to see if I have any control. I can't tell because the tires dig into the dirt like the way dental floss digs into a West Virginian's gums, that is to say, experimenting off-roading with my road bike in the hopes of figuring out body position is an extraordinarily bad idea.

I would guess I do 80% road (commuting), 15% dirt trail, and 5% slow tricks, at least 16-36 miles most days. I have a lot of trouble riding my road bike on gravel.

Is there any obvious advantage one bike has over the other?
How big of a concern is that low head tube height, especially in sketchy terrain?
Is one more terrain worthy than the other? I would guess I would prefer something less like my road bike.
Old 06-05-18, 02:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
First off, keep in mind that Motobecane is a "house brand" of Bikes Direct, and has no relation to the vintage French Motobecane bikes.

Here are the two bikes I'm seeing.
Save up to 60% off Shimano equipped Cyclocross | Cross Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross
Save Up to 60% Off Disc Brake Road Bikes - Motobecane Mulekick CX PRO

Did you pick out others?

First off the Fantom uses a level top tube, similar to the vintage bikes. Not a particularly short or tall head tube, but it all depends on the sizing. It may be easier to get a size of bike with some bar drop without a seatpost looking like a flagpole with the level top tubes.

The two bikes I'm seeing differ by nearly $1000, with the expensive one having a 1x11 drive train with hydraulic brakes, and the cheap one having a 3x8 triple and mechanical disc brakes.

Either should work for your commuting. I haven't gone to 1x gearing yet, although I tend to spend most of my time in the large ring, and probably could do 1x with a bit wider of a cassette.

There are likely racing advantages to not be shifting the front, but it may be minimal. I find a front shift is worth 2 or 3 sprockets on the rear.
Old 06-06-18, 02:48 PM
LanghamP

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are both flatbar bikes. Fantom is $700 while the Mulekick is $800. The components are close, perhaps identical. They have really good components in my opinion.

(Darn, still cannot post URLs)

I'm a big fan of flatbar bikes because when I have my yearly crash then the components aren't quite as expensive, plus when I wrap bars I can never get them exactly right, which shouldn't bother me yet bothers me to no end.

​​​
Old 08-23-21, 12:20 AM
Novice123

Bikes: 2007(?) Niner Hot Tamale, 2014 Jamis Coda Elite, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LanghamP
These are both flatbar bikes. Fantom is $700 while the Mulekick is $800. The components are close, perhaps identical. They have really good components in my opinion.

(Darn, still cannot post URLs)

I'm a big fan of flatbar bikes because when I have my yearly crash then the components aren't quite as expensive, plus when I wrap bars I can never get them exactly right, which shouldn't bother me yet bothers me to no end.

​​​
Did you ever decide between the Fantom Comp and the Mulekick CX? I'm looking at both for a (sorta expensive) winter bike. ($200 more expensive than they were when you were looking at them.) Any insight is greatly appreciated, Pete
Old 08-23-21, 01:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Man their prices have shot up. I was looking at the Fantom Cross Trail last year and I believe it was $599. I almost bought one. Now it's $899 for an 8 speed bike