Search
Notices
Europe Europe

Bodų, Norway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 04:13 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Bodų, Norway

I will fly to Bodų, Norway on Wednesday (5 September). I've been for work before, but always in the dead of winter, little to no sunlight...but, this time it works out I will be there in the late summer, with a decent amount of light to utilize before/after work, and with headlight/tailight, I can manage even a bit more.

So....

I am taking my CX bike. And I've got a few questions.
1) Bike path or trails? Any ideas or suggestions?
2) I'll likely be able to only manage 45-60km at a time, maximum, so I suspect based on map recon that I will only be able to do out and back rides, is this true?
3) I'll be there over a weekend, and thinking I'll try to do a longer ride, perhaps a metric century or more, any destinations I should go to take a rest and then return to town?
4) Tire fitment? "fat slicks" or file treads?

Thanks.

Last edited by Badger6; 09-03-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 01:44 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Well, I am back in Germany. I am happy to report that the cycling was great...SAS handling of my bike, not so great, but that's another issue and one I am currently fixing. Okay, so riding in Bodų, here is my report.

It is above the Arctic Circle, so days in summer are long, and even though the Fall Equinox was close, the long twilight periods (coupled with my carried lights) permitted some late evening riding, and allowed for commuting in the early morning. It is windy there, very windy, at one point I was in a headwind that was in excess of 10 m/s, and in crosswind it made handling a bit tricky, but overall it was manageable and only added the experience. I got very lucky with he weather, the temps were 18-22°C midday, and evenings were manageable with summer kit and arm warmers at 10-12°C. The mornings were a bit more fresh at 8-10°C, but in 2-3 months it will be 0-4°C every morning here in Stuttgart, so I was not complaining. Road surfaces were fine on 30/32mm Specialized Roubaix tires. I had one flat but that was completely random and NOT from debris. And the drivers are some of the most considerate I've ever ridden around, even on two lane 100km/h connectors between the cities that stretch through kilometers of nothing but moose, bear, and mountains.

Scenery...go ride here for that alone. The Saltstraumen (fastest flowing tidal effluent in the world), the mountains, the fjords. Go ride in northern Norway, above the Arctic Circle to claim that achievement. It is worth it. People are friendly. Beer costs a small fortune, and the food is amazing.
Old 04-13-19, 11:04 AM
MichaPau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can imagine that biking in Norway, perhaps along the coast and the fjords can be quit epic.
I was once on the corner Finland/Sweden/Norway and there was a really great landscape.
Old 07-02-19, 03:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I did a ride around Balestrand, Norway, and it was absolutely gorgeous.
Likes For zacster: