Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber and hydraulic discs for $2k?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon fiber and hydraulic discs for $2k?

Old 02-28-19, 11:07 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
The problem with Canyon is they have started to get a bit overzealous with the whole proprietary crap a la Giant and Specialized. There is no reason for a CX bike to have custom headset spacers and stem/bars.
Old 02-28-19, 03:27 PM
cycleworld51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jon c.;20812161]They've got carbon at just a bit over your target price now.

How are the quality on the Canyon bikes? Thanks.
Old 02-28-19, 04:38 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Bikes Direct is hyper reluctant to send bikes out to reviewers these days. And I don't think their bikes were all that poorly reviewed on the rare occasions when they have. Which is odd. Their road bikes in particular look pretty darn modern this year. Their mountain bikes look pretty good although of course there are inexplicable anachronistic features and geo here and there.

I don't think I've seen more than 1 or 2 reviews of bikes direct bikes anywhere which went beyond: "I like it." Apparently BD customers who are enthusiasts are too embarrassed to review their bikes whereas ordinary recreational riders couldn't be bothered to post on a bicycling forum.

From what I can tell, BD is a one man operation with a barebones warehouse crew, no customer service personnel and maybe a couple of paid trolls who create accounts on the 1 or 2 or 3 busier bicycling forums. Or maybe it's just the owner. I don't have contempt for this model, but the owner/s have no passion for cycling. It reminds me a lot of the e-bike business where the owners are looking to get rich quick with Chinese imports.
Old 02-28-19, 04:42 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
[QUOTE=cycleworld51;20816558]
Originally Posted by jon c.
They've got carbon at just a bit over your target price now.

I think they are top notch. I don't own a gravel model just a couple of RoadLite CF 9.0s (one for me and one for my wife). If you are interested in my Canyon experience you can check out my thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...roadlites.html.
Old 03-04-19, 07:03 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
BikesDirect has a bike that barely ekes in. Free shipping and no sales tax makes it equivalent to a $2K bike with sales tax. Ulegra groupset. 34/34 low gear. Not really a gravel bike. Comes standard with 28c tires.

Save Up To 60% Off Disc Brake, Full Carbon, Aero Road Bikes NEW Motobecane Le Champion CF DISC PRO Shimano R8000 Ultegra 22 Speed+ Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Titanium ultegra disc. 34/34 low gear. Room for 40c tires. But, it's titanium.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/centurypro-ti-discbrake-road-ta.htm
I'd stay away from the Bikes Direct option. I have a buddy that bought two bikes fron them. The first, a Motobeane road bike with Ultega was not too bad, he had to do a lot of tuning and truing but wound up okay, but his second bike was a gravel bike that he could never get tuned up very well. He finally took it to a shop to see what they could do with it and they put the alignment gauges on it and showed him that the front and back wheels were 3 degrees out of parallel. It looked nice and had an Ultegra derailleur, but it was a piece of crap. Derailleur hanger was bent too. I guess at that price they have to save some mioney somewhere...

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-04-19 at 07:06 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 03-05-19, 01:53 PM
greencoffee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the kestrel ter-x off of bike island for a $100 off the $2100 listed price from bikes direct. From what I've seen it is in perfect condition, no issues with the frame, wheels or brakes, or anything beyond what any mail order bike would take as far as set up goes. The hydraulic disc brakes were new to me and required a learning curve (youtube helped quite a bit here), but otherwise wheels were true and everything else was set up well.

I used a site, bikegeocalc to help check the bikes geometry and size against my road bike that fits well. This helped dial in the fit as well as stem height and length (which I ended up replacing).

One last comment about the wheels - these are stan's grail s1, which are 28h up front and 32h r. For gravel, these are pretty nice imo, with sturdy sapim force spokes and brass nipples.

So far the bikes is quite good - light, stiff (with a little flex during pedaling) and handles really well, even in tough muddy conditions that I've had last few rides.

The only draw back is the set up, if you don't have tools, work stand, contacting a local bike shop to see if they will do it for you might be a good idea.

Last edited by greencoffee; 03-05-19 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-19, 07:09 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
So having done my research, I'm off the idea of CF due to the reality that a bike spec'd the way I want would run well in excess of $2k. While the Grail still tugs at my intrigue, I just don't know if I'm willing to take the plunge on a bike that's hard to customize. I'm now leaning very strongly towards the Norco Search XR aluminum with full 105 and hydraulic discs.
Old 03-05-19, 07:57 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I’d take a serious look at the Canyon Grail. I was at a very popular bike shop in Austin, Texas the other day and although they don’t sell Canyon, they raved about the company and the bikes.
Old 03-06-19, 08:24 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
You could always keep an eye on ebay. It will take more time but some deals can be scored. I bought a used 2016 Trek Boone. Carbon fiber, ultegra, hydraulic for 1000 shipped. Which really it's a $3-4k bike. Frame was in very good condition, just needed a few things to get it running in tip top shape. Tires, new derailleur, saddle, pads, bleed.
Old 03-06-19, 03:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Swapped Avid Mechanical disc calipers, for TRP Hy RD, so .. like a bike otherwise , just has Cable Disc Calipers? Hy Rd is an option.
Old 03-06-19, 05:36 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Another alu option is the previous model Eddy Merckx Strasbourg 71.
Full 105, 2x hydraulic. Takes a 40mm.

You might be able to find a discounted NOS at a dealer.

https://bikerumor.com/2016/05/06/rev...1-gravel-bike/

Last edited by tangerineowl; 03-06-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 06:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Used? You can get quality setups especially QR frames for ~$1500 with hydro, and using the other $500 for an extra wheelset for difference CX/gravel conditions and tubeless/tubular supplies and tires
Another similar option is to hunt for a frame that strikes your fancy, and buy the component group to build it up.

Of course, you have the same issues with rapidly changing standards recently.

QR is out.
Hydro Discs
Thru Axle
Direct Mount brakes...
Etc

So, you may not get the bargain basement frames.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Giant-...e/264226152216

$650 frame. + $45 shipping.

R8020 Groupset, About $1000.

That leaves you with about $300 for the wheels, seat, handlebars, and finishing stuff. Tight, but you could come pretty close to making a bike to your specs without going too far over budget.

R7020 $745
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...et-119887.html

And, you're down below the tariff cutoff.

And a little more relaxed for finding the finishing components.

Of course, you can look at other brands too. SRAM, Campagnolo, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-Force2...f/202616189685
Old 03-06-19, 07:04 PM
gus6464

The Kestrel is not a bad choice given the budget. They come from the same place as Fuji frames given they the same parent company.
Old 03-07-19, 02:36 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Hmm if I hadn't just bought a Stigmata CC for $2k last week I'd be all over that Inflite. Is the Inflite cockpit all custom? If you wanted to run different bars are you screwed? Or can you use a regular stem and spacers?
Screwed unless you want to swap the whole thing out (I know people here that have). That is the biggest drawback (or advantage depending on how you look at it). I love the look and feel of the cockpit, but its not for everyone.
Old 03-07-19, 02:39 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleworld51
As good as anything on the market. Pro level quality.

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I'd stay away from the Bikes Direct option.... Derailleur hanger was bent too. I guess at that price they have to save some mioney somewhere...
It seems that most any bike that gets shipped in the box is very likely to have a bent derailler hanger. Stories of that with all kinds of brands are rampant with bikes shipped to the customer.

One exception is Canyon - they do an amazing job of packing those bikes up.

OP - if you had asked last year I would have told you to get a Raleigh Rokker. It is one of the best gravel designs out there and was going for about $1700 on closeout. Doubt that there are any left, but you might find something on Ebay. As above, they were rarely delivered to the door with a straight hanger.
Old 03-07-19, 07:58 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
42t chainring, 32t cassette - kind of limiting.
limiting is dependent on "WHO"
Old 03-07-19, 09:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
limiting is dependent on "WHO"
On whom.
Old 03-08-19, 10:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
my grammar may suck, but at least I am not sucky limited by a 42/32.
Old 03-08-19, 10:38 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

So much praise about Canyon - I still haven't heard a single bad word. Damn I'm conflicted. I might have to fly down to So Cal to ride one before I make up my mind..
Old 03-08-19, 11:11 AM
redlude97

Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
So much praise about Canyon - I still haven't heard a single bad word. Damn I'm conflicted. I might have to fly down to So Cal to ride one before I make up my mind..
plenty of bad(not that bad) if you look. Proprietary parts that change from year to year that you wont be able to source from Canyon because they dont make them any more and fail to keep any stock like hangers and headsets etc. Maybe not an issue with how big they are now, but was when they were new and not available in the US
Old 03-08-19, 11:47 AM
gus6464

The biggest bad and reason why I will never own one is proprietary crap. A $2000 bike should not have special stems, handlebars, and even stupid headset spacers.
Old 03-08-19, 01:36 PM
ridethetown

Originally Posted by redlude97
plenty of bad(not that bad) if you look. Proprietary parts that change from year to year that you wont be able to source from Canyon because they dont make them any more and fail to keep any stock like hangers and headsets etc. Maybe not an issue with how big they are now, but was when they were new and not available in the US
Originally Posted by gus6464
The biggest bad and reason why I will never own one is proprietary crap. A $2000 bike should not have special stems, handlebars, and even stupid headset spacers.
I guess I should clarify that the only gripes I'm seeing are exactly in line with my own - complaints about all the proprietary nonsense on principle. It looks ridiculous and it's completely stupid that you can't replace parts for fit, or due to the very likely event of the eventual wreck on a gravel or cross bike. Seriously, WTF? That said, all I see is praise about the functionality, comfort (by and large), and performance of the bike. Damn Germans, why can't they just do this the normal way?!?
Old 03-08-19, 03:08 PM
redlude97

Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
I guess I should clarify that the only gripes I'm seeing are exactly in line with my own - complaints about all the proprietary nonsense on principle. It looks ridiculous and it's completely stupid that you can't replace parts for fit, or due to the very likely event of the eventual wreck on a gravel or cross bike. Seriously, WTF? That said, all I see is praise about the functionality, comfort (by and large), and performance of the bike. Damn Germans, why can't they just do this the normal way?!?
To be fair, all the big name manufacturers are doing it too, ie dfuse seatpost, futureshock, 1-1/4" steerer tubes, isospeed, bb30a etc.
Old 03-08-19, 03:45 PM
gus6464

Look at all the MTB only brands making cross/gravel bikes. No proprietary crap on the bike at all. Also 15x100 TA on cross/gravel needs to stay so people can use the plethora of XC wheels out there available at cheap prices.
Old 03-11-19, 01:05 PM
ridethetown

Enter two new contenders on my quest to find my perfect next steed - both from Kona: The Rove NRB DL, and the Sutra LTD. They're carried by my favorite local MTB shop, who I'd far prefer to give my business to than online or driving down to Sacramento/Bay Area.

The spec on each bike is nice for the just-over $2k price point, each has hydraulic discs, and they run 105 (compact) and Rival (1x11), respectively. The Rove is obviously going to be quite a lot lighter than the Sutra and probably handle closer to my road bike (but with 650's), but it looks like a bike with a bit of an identity crisis. I'm sure the Sutra will tip the scales in excess of 25 lbs but looks much more comfortable after 50+ miles on gravel and just looks like a fun beast of a bike, plain and simple.

If anyone who rides either bike or has tried both can chime in, I'd welcome any feedback.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.