Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front hub width and bearing adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 12:09 AM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 1986 Panasonic DX-2000. I am building it to sell to a friend and I have run into a potential problem. The person I purchased it from had converted to 700c. I am switching it back to 27". I am going to assume the width of the modern front hub increasd the width at the drop outs, so when I put the current hub in there is a gap.

When I tighten down the quick release it pushes things together as normal and it all seems snug. However, i noticed the axle only extends halfway into the dropouts on both sides. So my question with regards to this is: is this safe? I apologize if this is a silly question but i dont want to kill anyone.

And then I have one other thing. I have noticed something while adjusting cup and cone hubs. I make my adjustments and go to tighten the locknut. I give them a good snug and then test it. Obviously my first attempt isnt always right; in regards to this question lets say there is too much play. So I undo the locknut and find that the axle is extremely tight. But it was never that tight to begin with. I have tightened the side i am not adjusting, first, and i am holding the cone while I tighten the locknut. I am assuming there is a risk of damaging the hub during this and i would really rather not. So I am not sure if this is normal or i am doing something wrong, but in the case of the latter i definitely want to get it right.

Anyway, i apologize for the long post. Any responses are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by disco_kevin30; 05-12-19 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-12-19, 12:45 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
100mm from outside of one locknut to outside of the other.

Give or take a mm...

Need only 3-4mm of axle left over on each side.

Lock down the locknut and cone on one side.

Then, use other side to lockdown locknut and cone - several tries - such that when locked down, you have a teeny bit of end play. Just a teeny bit.

Clamping down the quick release eliminate the end play.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-12-19, 01:14 AM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the response. I would like to clarify something though: the situation I am running into is, the axle goes from too loose after I tighten the locknut on the adjustable side to being crazy tight when i undo the locknut. The only thing that has changed is the locknut and the axle was never that tight to begin with. I am really sorry, i am not sure i am being very clear.

And i am only bringing it up because it seems really weird. Not sure if its a problem per se.
Old 05-12-19, 01:46 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by disco_kevin30
Thank you for the response. I would like to clarify something though: the situation I am running into is, the axle goes from too loose after I tighten the locknut on the adjustable side to being crazy tight when i undo the locknut. The only thing that has changed is the locknut and the axle was never that tight to begin with. I am really sorry, i am not sure i am being very clear.

And i am only bringing it up because it seems really weird. Not sure if its a problem per se.
Normal...just guestimate a new starting position...lock again.

...until you get a result in which after the locknut is tightened...you have just a teeny bit of end play.

Then it's quick release time.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-12-19, 01:59 AM
disco_kevin30

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool! Thanks again
Old 05-12-19, 07:12 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
A good way to finely adjust cone bearings after correct assembly is to use two good cone wrenches (13 mm front, 15 mm rear) to loosen or two 17 mm open-end wrenches on the locknuts to tighten. Just a few degrees at a time. No need to repeatedly disassemble.

You can get real close the first time by tightening the second cone hand tight to the bearings, install the locknut, then tighten them together. That usually backs off the cone just the right amount.
Old 05-12-19, 08:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
If you really think you need more axle into the dropout...you could obtain thinner spacers and/or lock nuts.

Dan
Old 05-12-19, 10:37 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
If you really think you need more axle into the dropout...you could obtain thinner spacers and/or lock nuts.

Dan
How is that going to make the axle longer?
"Cinching" the fork blades together is going to put a bind on the cones, causing problems like the OP is describing.
Old 05-12-19, 10:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
How is that going to make the axle longer?
"Cinching" the fork blades together is going to put a bind on the cones, causing problems like the OP is describing.
I believe he was referring to this statement of the OP's.

However, i noticed the axle only extends halfway into the dropouts on both sides. So my question with regards to this is: is this safe? I apologize if this is a silly question but i dont want to kill anyone.
Old 05-12-19, 11:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Echoing 2nd post .. axle QR type protrudes, about 1/2 the width of the thickness of the dropout...

And .. remember the compression factor..

tightening the QR lever compresses the axle cones towards each other, and tightens the bearings adjustment

so factor that in..