Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Dairy Queen Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Dairy Queen Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 07:05 PM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dairy Queen Bike

Finished a nice long ride on my CF road bike this weekend when my 9-year-old daughter suggested "Let's go to Dairy Queen on our bikes, Dad." It hit me: A road bike just isn't the kind of bike for making ice cream trips with a kid. With that in mind, I made a trip to my LBS this afternoon and picked up this lovely new Schwinn 7 speed cruiser complete with bell! I think I'm in love!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cruiser.jpg (28.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 03-12-07, 07:16 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Finished a nice long ride on my CF road bike this weekend when my 9-year-old daughter suggested "Let's go to Dairy Queen on our bikes, Dad." It hit me: A road bike just isn't the kind of bike for making ice cream trips with a kid. With that in mind, I made a trip to my LBS this afternoon and picked up this lovely new Schwinn 7 speed cruiser complete with bell! I think I'm in love!
Welcome back to the "real" side of cycling

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-12-07, 07:24 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy it.

My mom bought an Electra cruiser-style bike, nothing I'd be caught dead with riding but she seems to love it.
Old 03-12-07, 09:40 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
may you and your daughter enjoy many rides to the dairy queen and other places togther. you're lucky your daughter wants to ride with her dad, your hobby might be inspiring your daughter into a lifetime love of cycling...

Enjoy! a cruiser is a lot of fun to ride, might I suggest a big wald basket on the front.
Old 03-13-07, 07:47 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A road bike just isn't the kind of bike for making ice cream trips with a kid.
Nothing against your new (very cool) cruiser, but why isn't a road bike good for ice cream trips?

When my daughter's old enough and asks that question, I'll hop on my road bike (CF, Ti or whatever gee-whiz material there is at the time) and gladly ride with her down to the tasty-freeze! Or full susp MTB, for that matter! As the saying goes, "it's not about the bike!"
Old 03-13-07, 08:39 AM
specq
King of the Ramsey Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
Nothing against your new (very cool) cruiser, but why isn't a road bike good for ice cream trips?
Shhhh...! You're messing up a perfectly good excuse to buy a new bike!
Old 03-13-07, 08:48 AM
bbwolfy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode bicycles with my daughter alot, till she turned old enough to drive. We did several casual rides to the Dairy Queen and trails/parks. It was a great way to spend time together and burn some energy.Yeah it is about the ride.
Old 03-13-07, 08:59 AM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When my daughter's old enough and asks that question, I'll hop on my road bike (CF, Ti or whatever gee-whiz material there is at the time) and gladly ride with her down to the tasty-freeze! Or full susp MTB, for that matter! As the saying goes, "it's not about the bike!"
You've OBVIOUSLY been talking to my WIFE!!!!! SPY!!!!! SPY!!!!!! SPY!!!!!! We have a spy on the forums!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-07, 09:25 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Ehhh don't worry Dewbert, your bike is awesome. I'd say perfect for a Dairy Queen trip. I mean, who would show up to a 50's hop in a new Porsche?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-13-07, 09:30 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Ehhh don't worry Dewbert, your bike is awesome. I'd say perfect for a Dairy Queen trip. I mean, who would show up to a 50's hop in a new Porsche?
Some Nouveau Riche with no class (you asked )

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-13-07, 11:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

As the saying goes, "it's not about the bike!"
Yup. It's about the relationship with the daughter. When she sees daddy climbing onto the cruiser she knows that's HER special time.
Old 03-13-07, 12:01 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I'd say perfect for a Dairy Queen trip. I mean, who would show up to a 50's hop in a new Porsche?
Why everybody who owns one! Suppose you owned a Porsche or a Cobra replica or something similar. Where would you drive it? Parties, the Dairy Queen, anyplace people gathered and could see you in your spiffy car. That's what they're for.
Old 03-13-07, 01:04 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
....Suppose you owned a Porsche or a Cobra replica or something similar. Where would you drive it? Parties, the Dairy Queen, anyplace people gathered and could see you in your spiffy car. That's what they're for.
Yea, but overspending on a Porsche or Cobra generally inspires awe and envy.
Outside of a very-limited group of like-minded people, overspending on a bicycle doesn't get quite the same result.

If you went really crazy, you could even get a SunRay or a Manta Ray, and find out what recreational bicycling is supposed to feel like.
~
Old 03-13-07, 01:04 PM
fillthecup
Kwisatz Haderach

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beautiful bike. When I have the scratch for it I too would like a nice, balloon tired cruiser for my ice cream runs.

But my next purchase will be a touring bike. The cruiser will have to wait for a few years.
Old 03-13-07, 01:22 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My flip flops slip off the clip in pedals.
Old 03-13-07, 02:07 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Ha! One of our rides is a 50 mile loop that is named the "ice cream" ride. We pass (or stop at) over a dozen places of that sort. Dairy Made, Dairy Chief, Ice Cream Hut...... you get the gist.

But a new bike is nice too.
Old 03-13-07, 02:31 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Doug5150
Yea, but overspending on a Porsche or Cobra generally inspires awe and envy.
Outside of a very-limited group of like-minded people, overspending on a bicycle doesn't get quite the same result.
It's a different result, but the impact is still there.

Buy a $70,000 Porsche and your neighbors will admire it with envy.

Tell them that you paid $4,000 for a bike that you have to pedal and they'll think that you've gone completely insane.
Old 03-13-07, 02:43 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bolt upright riding position makes it easier to eat an ice cream cone on the go. Try THAT in the drops.
Old 03-13-07, 02:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by slowandsteady
The bolt upright riding position makes it easier to eat an ice cream cone on the go. Try THAT in the drops.
Couldn't you just jam the cone between the time trial clip-ons? That might be a good way to practice your time trial position.
Old 03-13-07, 03:26 PM
mlts22 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
https://tinyurl.com/2u6wqo

Problem solved.
Old 03-13-07, 05:00 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After buying a semi-recumbent for commuting, my wife forced me to sell my yellow Fuji Shangri-la 3-speed cruiser with white-wall 2" tires, full wrap-around fenders, colour-coded chain guard, saddle and head-piece and featuring the big over-sized bell. It was ideal for going to get ice-cream with my son and his friends.
Old 03-13-07, 07:20 PM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick update: My wife (nope, she didn't kill me), my daughter and I went for a ride in the park and then our first official Dairy Queen run on the the new cruiser. That, coupled with a record-breaking high temp of 80 deg F in Indiana made for a pretty nice evening. Aaaaahhhhh......

Oh....and one woman stopped and said "Wow! Nice bike!" I winked and gave her a little ring-of-the-bell-action! Schweet!
Old 03-14-07, 09:40 AM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yup, a fat-tired cruiser is THE way to go to Dairy Queen, or to ride up and down the sea wall in Galveston. The Electra Company has been designing "flat footed" Townie models for both kids and adults that have the added advantage of making it easy to put both feet flat on the ground while eating ice cream or chatting with neighbors. The "heads up" riding position makes it easy to enjoy looking around as you ease slowly down the street.

The stable geometry of a typical cruiser makes it easy to add mount grocery bag sized panniers or baskets to the rear rack, and use it for trips to the grocery store or hardware store.

One of the reasons that 90% of the adult population does NOT ride bikes on a regular basis is that the myth has been created that adults should ride only "pretend" racing bikes, whille dressed in "pretend" racing clothes, and ride only in the "pretend" racing position, with noses pressed against the front tire. In contrast, the combination of a sunny afternoon and a beach cruiser will turn anyone into an avid cyclist.
Old 03-14-07, 10:21 AM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick update: My wife (nope, she didn't kill me), my daughter and I went for a ride in the park and then our first official Dairy Queen run on the the new cruiser. That, coupled with a record-breaking high temp of 80 deg F in Indiana made for a pretty nice evening. Aaaaahhhhh......

Oh....and one woman stopped and said "Wow! Nice bike!" I winked and gave her a little ring-of-the-bell-action! Schweet!
I get that alot still whether I'm on my semi-recumbent (it turns heads and has kids and adults all stopping, gawking and admiring as much as my other bikes) or my custom-made Firebike 'Bling Bling' stretch cruiser (8' long in electric purple diamond tubing) and my son is on his chopper or fully chromed low-rider. We hit the Baskin-Robbins on those bikes regularly during the summer and are often the centre of attention when we pull up. It is, as you say, 'schweeet.'
Old 03-14-07, 11:38 AM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
Well, shoot... why didn't the OP just say so in the first place!! This now makes perfect sense to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.