Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

True Cyclist

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

True Cyclist

Old 03-12-18, 05:37 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Not sure nonsense like this is super safe in an urban setting. At least he has brakes, which plenty of them do without...

No handlebars or brakes while riding in traffic. Though the guy in this pic does have one, and we can count the chain as a second if he’s riding fixed gear.

But yea...no handlebars or no front break IS nonsense.
Old 03-12-18, 06:05 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
There are accounts the bicycle was developed as a replacement for horse travel. Human propelled transportation seems to me the most reasonable explanation for why the bicycle developed and exactly what these commuters here are doing.
FYA, I had read this interesting factoid about the invention of the Bicycle, and here is a verification.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The first verifiable claim for a practically used bicycle belongs to German Baron Karl von Drais, a civil servant to the Grand Duke of Baden in Germany. Drais invented his Laufmaschine (German for "running machine") in 1817, that was called Draisine (English) or draisienne (French) by the press.

Karl von Drais patented this design in 1818, which was the first commercially successful two-wheeled, steerable, human-propelled machine, commonly called a velocipede, and nicknamed hobby-horse or dandy horse.It was initially manufactured in Germany and France.

Hans-Erhard Lessing (Drais' biographer) found from circumstantial evidence that Drais' interest in finding an alternative to the horse was the starvation and death of horses caused by crop failure in 1816, the Year Without a Summer following the volcanic eruption of Tambora in 1815).

On his first reported ride from Mannheim on June 12, 1817, he covered 13 km (eight miles) in less than an hour. Constructed almost entirely of wood, the draisine weighed 22 kg (48 pounds), had brass bushings within the wheel bearings, iron shod wheels, a rear-wheel brake and 152 mm (6 inches) of trail of the front-wheel for a self-centering caster effect.

[and]

The velocipede's renaissance began in Paris during the late 1860s. Its early history is complex and has been shrouded in some mystery, not least because of conflicting patent claims: all that has been stated for sure is that a French metalworker attached pedals to the front wheel; at present, the earliest year bicycle historians agree on is 1864.

The identity of the person who attached cranks is still an open question at International Cycling History Conferences (ICHC). The claims of Ernest Michaux and of Pierre Lallement, and the lesser claims of rear-pedaling Alexandre Lefebvre, have their supporters within the ICHC community.
The Southwest Corridor Bikepath in Boston is officially named for P. Lallement, who "died in obscurity in 1891 in Boston at the age of 47." (Wikipedia)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-13-18 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 08:35 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Are "true cyclists" the commuting equivalent of road "serious cyclists"?
Old 03-13-18, 04:32 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Good point. I also notice that bike dogmatism creeps in even among commuters, such that you'll read posts in this forum declaring that you can't be a real commuter unless your bike has fenders and racks. When in fact, any bike that gets ridden to work is by definition a commuting bike and the ethos should be "do what works for you."

Yes, I find the dogmatism silly.

If you are using a bicycle to tour your local neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon, as fare as I am concerned, you are doing the same thing as someone coming from 500 miles away.

If you are enjoying a spirited ride using Strava, how can someone seriously say you are not a road cyclists?

If you are going to the grocery on your carbon fiber using a back pack to haul the beer back to watch March Madness, how are you not commuting?
Old 03-13-18, 04:44 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
That’s a handsome compliment. I also give a thumbs up to anyone on two wheels. I have been using older race bikes for commuting. So you can indeed use any bike you like. There’s nothing like feeling great and fit. Cycle commuting gives me that.

Last edited by ptempel; 03-13-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 10:28 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
What exactly is the nonsense here?
Ride above 10mph with the insides of both hands in as far as they can go, practically touching the stem. Tell me how you feel about maneuvering at that speed. Maybe you get used to it, but I tried it for a few minutes last night and felt less than comfortable/safe.

Originally Posted by ptempel
I also give a thumbs up to anyone on two wheels. I have been using older race bikes for commuting. So you can indeed use any bike you like. There’s nothing like feeling great and fit. Cycle commuting gives me that.
I spent quite a few years with a motorcycle as my only means of transportation. No car, limited public transport, and not even a bicycle. It was never a serious thing, but the guys that would only ride their motorcycles on sunny, warm days definitely didn't seem to warrant the moniker of "real bikers." I was also commuting on a bike that was definitely not intended for that role, but it still did the job quite well and showed that most bikes can break out of their "category" and be versatile, at least as long as you are young enough to put up with occasional discomfort.
Old 03-13-18, 12:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
No gears no problem. No gears OR brakes and I hold it against them.

It's just stupid. And increasingly common.
Wait, what? I thought that stopped being cool back in 2009. Someone's gotta tell these kids that bikes with no brakes and one gear are soooo last decade.

On that note, it always cracked me up when I'd see "broken fixies" (i.e. bikes with a single speed and freewheel) with one brake, or better, none at all.
Old 03-13-18, 01:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ride above 10mph with the insides of both hands in as far as they can go, practically touching the stem. Tell me how you feel about maneuvering at that speed. Maybe you get used to it, but I tried it for a few minutes last night and felt less than comfortable/safe.

You mean like this?

As for the kid in the big picture, meh. It's fashion driven for most (emulating messengers, who have a functional need for squeezing through traffic), and it's probably uncomfortable for long rides since you've only got one hand position, but it doesn't seem particularly unsafe to me, especially if you've got a brake lever right there. You mostly steer a bike with your butt, rather than your hands.
Old 03-13-18, 02:09 PM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't think OP was out to demean anyone. Thanks Chuck.
Old 03-13-18, 07:12 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
You mean like this?

As for the kid in the big picture, meh. It's fashion driven for most (emulating messengers, who have a functional need for squeezing through traffic), and it's probably uncomfortable for long rides since you've only got one hand position, but it doesn't seem particularly unsafe to me, especially if you've got a brake lever right there. You mostly steer a bike with your butt, rather than your hands.
Yeah, just like a pro rider climbing on a closed course, during a race. Exactly the same as urban riding conditions. I'd also like to see him steering through heavy traffic, using mostly his butt.
Old 03-14-18, 04:17 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
I don't think OP was out to demean anyone. Thanks Chuck.

Absolutely,
Old 03-14-18, 06:55 PM
emptym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
i'm lucky i get to enjoy my commutes on bike. Delivery bike people have hard lives which i don't envy. We can save the badass labels for them.
+1
Old 03-14-18, 07:00 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
I get the Jones every time I see someone commuting... or riding in general. Alas, impossible to commute when I do outside sales call and drive an average of 100 miles per day.
Old 03-14-18, 07:21 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by look566 rider
I get the Jones every time I see someone commuting... or riding in general. Alas, impossible to commute when I do outside sales call and drive an average of 100 miles per day.
For sure. There are certain jobs in which you cannot commute by bike. Sales is one of those. I count myself fortunate that I have a job where I don't need to be travelling, nor do I have a strict dress code.