Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Teen training too hard

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Teen training too hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 02:30 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been trying for years to promote more mass in my bone, If only i would of known jumping jacks would help.
Old 10-03-18, 02:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Specifically, it mentioned a study of adolescent female cyclists. I should have transitioned from the meta to the specific, but it really was the only cycling study they discussed.

Agree with the alternate exercises, but you know they hit 14 1/2 and completely ignore your coaching, right?
There were 13 studies about cyclists, 11 of those were cross-sectional studies comparing cyclists with active or sedentary control groups. Both male and female. I don't have any hard conclusion on it, in general or about junior cyclists. Just that there is enough data for serious concern, enough that I've altered my own regimen of exercise the past year or two.

Yeah, about that age when they've learned everything and "we" don't know anything, it's pretty hopeless for a few years.
Old 10-03-18, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
I've been trying for years to promote more mass in my bone, If only i would of known jumping jacks would help.

Have you considered becoming a child or adolescent? See the abstract WP posted above. I believe jumping jacks would qualify as a "a simple short duration jumping activity".

Impact generally has a positive effect on bone density, it doesn't mean that it will always overcome other factors that may be causing loss of bone mass.
Old 10-03-18, 02:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
There were 13 studies about cyclists, 11 of those were cross-sectional studies comparing cyclists with active or sedentary control groups. Both male and female. I don't have any hard conclusion on it, in general or about junior cyclists. Just that there is enough data for serious concern, enough that I've altered my own regimen of exercise the past year or two.

Yeah, about that age when they've learned everything and "we" don't know anything, it's pretty hopeless for a few years.

For me, I have to rely on walking as my primary impact exercise because anything high-impact absolutely destroys my arthritic ankles. Fortunately, I haven't had any bone density issues, which I attribute to lucky genetics. My arthritis isn't related to bone density, BTW, but rather to repeated injuries caused by a mechanical abnormality, but I digress.
Old 10-03-18, 03:28 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
get off your butt and go with him

100 miles is not a lot for a 13 year old kid.

I would be more concerned with the boys safety by himself potentially 50 miles from home or going DOWN 2-3 mile 7% grade.

don't produce more snowflakes
Old 10-03-18, 03:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Long term cyclists do suffer from low bone density, even though they also presumably walk when off the bike.
Good nutrition and resistance training prevents low bone density. Most cyclists fail to follow good nutrition and fail to cross-train and do a variety of weight bearing activities, that's why they end up with low bone density. Walking isn't enough, you need to put some stress on your body by doing some weightlifting in order to increase bone density.
Old 10-03-18, 07:12 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Good nutrition and resistance training prevents low bone density. Most cyclists fail to follow good nutrition and fail to cross-train and do a variety of weight bearing activities, that's why they end up with low bone density. Walking isn't enough, you need to put some stress on your body by doing some weightlifting in order to increase bone density.
First of all, how do you come to the conclusion that most cyclists fail to follow good nutrition?? The cyclists that are obsessed with training and performance are often eat a good diet. Most of the pro cyclists eat a good diet.
Secondly, the sort of cyclists that tend to suffer from bone density issue are the ones who trains a lot (16-18+ hours/wk) don't have the time nor energy left to do cross-training in any meaningful way. Understand that a pro cyclist, in a span of 7 months of a racing season, can decrease his bone density to a level that is considered pre-osteoporosis! He would rebuild some bone density back during the offseason, but then goes thru the whole cycle again for the upcoming racing season. Chris Boardman had to retire early precisely because of this issue. His doctor said he has lost too much bone mass and he had to take some hormones to build it up, but taking hormones would mean he couldn't compete anymore due to WADA regulation.
Old 10-03-18, 07:21 PM
aclinjury

Which would have been a good point if the OP hadn't been about a boy.

Still think you get the same conclusion for a girl, though, which is the biking isn't going to hurt them, but they would need to do some jumping jacks or the like if they want to promote bone mass.
And there is plenty of evidence from pro male cyclists suffering from bone density issue to the point that they would need to undergo hormone therapy. See Chris Boardman. As to "biking isn't going to hurt them", this depends on how you see as "hurting them". The hurt may not be a physical one. But physiological it may be hurting their body slowly but we just don't realize it yet due to a lack of study of young boys. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Without knowing further detail of the training regime of the boy, t's hard to say anything. However, the attitude of "oh he's a young boy so his body can take anything" is just plain stupid.
Old 10-03-18, 07:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Secondly, the sort of cyclists that tend to suffer from bone density issue are the ones who trains a lot (16-18+ hours/wk) don't have the time nor energy left to do cross-training in any meaningful way. Understand that a pro cyclist, in a span of 7 months of a racing season, can decrease his bone density to a level that is considered pre-osteoporosis! He would rebuild some bone density back during the offseason, but then goes thru the whole cycle again for the upcoming racing season. Chris Boardman had to retire early precisely because of this issue. His doctor said he has lost too much bone mass and he had to take some hormones to build it up, but taking hormones would mean he couldn't compete anymore due to WADA regulation.
It just goes to show that it isn't worth it to be a pro cyclist. Pro cyclists are so obsessed with numbers that they sacrifice their health and wellbeing in the name of performance.
Old 10-03-18, 08:37 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It just goes to show that it isn't worth it to be a pro cyclist. Pro cyclists are so obsessed with numbers that they sacrifice their health and wellbeing in the name of performance.
You can say this about basically all pro athletes.

That said, as long as the kid is getting some exposure to other sports and gets regular checkups (like people should anyway) I don't see what the big deal is. He's probably putting less strain on his body than I did doing judo and kendo up through university.

Last edited by manapua_man; 10-03-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 09:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

[QUOTE=aclinjury;20598901 But physiological it may be hurting their body slowly but we just don't realize it yet due to a lack of study of young boys. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Without knowing further detail of the training regime of the boy, t's hard to say anything. However, the attitude of "oh he's a young boy so his body can take anything" is just plain stupid.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the absence of evidence means that even if you knew his training regimen, it would be impossible to assess his risk. Sorry, but on the standards you're applying here, citing exceptional cases like Boardman as reason for over-caution, I'm sure I could find a reason not to let the kid do anything.
"He can take a 100 mile ride" is not saying "his body can take anything." It's saying that is nowhere as big a deal as the training regimen kids are routinely put on in competitive team sports, and if you don't think there are risks inherent in running, weight training, and tackling people, I have a bridge or 2 to sell you.
Old 10-04-18, 08:32 AM
aclinjury

Actually, the absence of evidence means that even if you knew his training regimen, it would be impossible to assess his risk. Sorry, but on the standards you're applying here, citing exceptional cases like Boardman as reason for over-caution, I'm sure I could find a reason not to let the kid do anything.
"He can take a 100 mile ride" is not saying "his body can take anything." It's saying that is nowhere as big a deal as the training regimen kids are routinely put on in competitive team sports, and if you don't think there are risks inherent in running, weight training, and tackling people, I have a bridge or 2 to sell you.
So far, I have not once said that it's unsafe for the kid for cycling. Have you noticed that? I'm simplying saying that there are lots of evidence of how extreme endurance can affect people's health in a bad way. And Chris Boardman is just but once anecdote. There are plenty of cases of seemingly healthy endurance athletes with hearth collapsing during an event. Please don't take the fact that just because I don't mention those other deaths mean that there is an absence of cases. The evidence and cases should be taken together when asking the question "how much is too much for a 13 yr old". Maybe it's ok, nothing to worry. Nobody really knows in this case because nobody really knows how much the boy is really exercising. But to completely downplay the evidence is totally stupid.
Old 10-04-18, 09:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So far, I have not once said that it's unsafe for the kid for cycling. Have you noticed that? I'm simplying saying that there are lots of evidence of how extreme endurance can affect people's health in a bad way. And Chris Boardman is just but once anecdote. There are plenty of cases of seemingly healthy endurance athletes with hearth collapsing during an event. Please don't take the fact that just because I don't mention those other deaths mean that there is an absence of cases. The evidence and cases should be taken together when asking the question "how much is too much for a 13 yr old". Maybe it's ok, nothing to worry. Nobody really knows in this case because nobody really knows how much the boy is really exercising. But to completely downplay the evidence is totally stupid.

Those "cases" as you call them do not constitute scientific evidence nor tell us anything about the risk. We have no way of knowing whether those people would have developed those problems if they had never engaged in endurance activities.

The OP was really someone attempting to muster "evidence" with which to confront the kid's parents. No one is saying the parents should not set limits on their own children. I'm saying that it's not the place of some lay person to criticize how these parents are or are not doing that, especially as the low likelihood that the activity in question is actually doing harm. If you know anything about the football practices they put kids through at about the same age, the described biking doesn't sound anywhere near as intense. If you want to bark at people for overtraining their kids and putting them at risk, go hang around at a high school football game.

And BTW, the absence of evidence is sometimes the evidence of absence. It depends on how hard one has looked and the nature of the thing that is supposedly present.
Old 10-04-18, 01:00 PM
aclinjury

Those "cases" as you call them do not constitute scientific evidence nor tell us anything about the risk. We have no way of knowing whether those people would have developed those problems if they had never engaged in endurance activities.

The OP was really someone attempting to muster "evidence" with which to confront the kid's parents. No one is saying the parents should not set limits on their own children. I'm saying that it's not the place of some lay person to criticize how these parents are or are not doing that, especially as the low likelihood that the activity in question is actually doing harm. If you know anything about the football practices they put kids through at about the same age, the described biking doesn't sound anywhere near as intense. If you want to bark at people for overtraining their kids and putting them at risk, go hang around at a high school football game.

And BTW, the absence of evidence is sometimes the evidence of absence. It depends on how hard one has looked and the nature of the thing that is supposedly present.
I have provided both evidence and case study my previous posts. You seem to dismiss case studies rather easily, and considering that you haven't provided any counter arguments in your dismissal and keep repeating the mantra "where is the evidence" (even though I have linked to a scientific study in one of my previous posts), I take that you have no interest in debating or providing anything substantial on a deeper level?

However, rather than debating ad nausea with you at this point, I will simply post what I've found for anyone to read and let them be the judge of the information that's out there.

1. Extreme Conditioning Programs and Exertional Rhabdomyolysis
On 18 May 2012, a Base Surgeon notified the Directorate Force Health Protection (D FHP) of three cases of rhabdomyolysis requiring hospitalization; one case required dialysis for acute renal failure. Two of three cases reported doing “CrossFit®”, a type of Extreme Conditioning Program (ECP), prior to their diagnosis. The three cases originated from the same base and presented to the medical clinic over a short time period between March and May, 2012.

Exertional rhabdomyolysis (ER) has been reported most commonly in weight lifters, endurance athletes, and military personnel (particularly at the recruit level).
This article doesn't specifically talks about cycling, but it raises a legit concern about excessive endurance sport. Personally, I have seen at least 2 guys who have bloody urine after a marathon. Granted cycling a century is easier than a marathon, but if one pushes the body hard enough, it will break. The question is, how much is too much.

2. Risk of arrhythmias in 52 755 long-distance cross-country skiers: a cohort study
CONCLUSIONS:

Among male participants of a 90 km cross-country skiing event, a faster finishing time and a high number of completed races were associated with higher risk of arrhythmias. This was mainly driven by a higher incidence of AF and bradyarrhythmias. No association with SVT or VT/VF/CA was found.
3. And here's one medical doctor's (MD) interpretation of the above study:
Endurance Exercise and Arrhythmia: It's Time to Believe (requires a free registration with Medscape to access article)

To quote the conclusion from the medical doctor:
It's pretty simple: Extreme endurance exercise, done over the long term and with great intensity, increases the risk for arrhythmia. There's no refuting this strong association. These observations are both plausible and consistent with prior studies.

There should be no surprise when an endurance athlete shows up with atrial fibrillation (AF) or some other arrhythmia. We are not surprised when masters-aged athletes suffer from other inflammation-induced maladies, such as overuse injuries, heart attacks, infections, and even divorce; why are we surprised they get AF?
4. Excessive Exercise Habits in Marathoners as Novel Indicators of Masked Hypertension
Appropriate exercise habits improve the vascular endothelial function and may have a positive impact on BP [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B28]28, 29], but excessive exercise such as marathon running can increase the cardiovascular risk [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B11]11, 30]. In a study by Vlachopoulos et al., marathoners who participated in chronic excessive running showed higher arterial stiffness (which could rapidly progress to atherosclerosis) than typical individuals who did not exercise [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B13]13]. An increase in the arterial stiffness was even reported after a short-term training camp for endurance runners [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B31]31]. The potential mechanisms through which excessive exercise causes increases in aortic stiffness are as follows. First, chronic pressure on the aortic wall due to extreme exercise would cause mechanical fatigue of the elastic elements of the aortic wall, thus leading to the rapid progression of fibrosis [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B32]32]. Second, repetitive episodes of high-intensity strength or endurance exercise may contribute to an increase in BP, potentially via an increase in sympathetic activity [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/#B33]33, 34].
This article suggests that your large artery is better off by you not exercising at all than by you exercising excessively.
5. The risk of marathon runners–live it up, run fast, die young?
Marathon running is part of a healthy lifestyle. There is overwhelming evidence for the cardiovascular protective effects of physical activity.11 In the current report, weekly energy expenditure (probably corresponding to training mileage) was not associated with the amount of coronary artery calcium. However, the number of completed marathon races was. Is training for a marathon healthy—as previous data suggest and common belief holds—while the race itself is risky?
This article presents a more mixed finding. It seems to indicate that cardio exercise is healthy, but it's the excessive cardio exercise (eg, racing a marathon) that can cause harm to the heart and large arteries.

6. Running: the risk of coronary events : Prevalence and prognostic relevance of coronary atherosclerosis in marathon runners
CONCLUSION:

Conventional cardiovascular risk stratification underestimates the CAC (coronary artery calcification) burden in presumably healthy marathon runners. As CAC burden and frequent marathon running seem to correlate with subclinical myocardial damage, an increased awareness of a potentially higher than anticipated coronary risk is warranted.
7. Potential Adverse Cardiovascular Effects From Excessive Endurance Exercise

Conclusion

In some individuals, long-term excessive endurance ET may cause adverse structural and electrical cardiac remodeling, including fibrosis and stiffening of the atria, RV, and large arteries. This theoretically might provide a substrate for atrial and ventricular arrhythmias and increase CV risk. Further investigation is warranted to identify the exercise threshold for potential toxicity, screening for at-risk individuals, and ideal ET regimens for optimizing CV health. For now, on the basis of animal and human data, CV benefits of vigorous aerobic ET appear to accrue in a dose-dependent fashion up to about 1 hour daily, beyond which further exertion produces diminishing returns and may even cause adverse CV effects in some individuals.
This is a great article as it goes into details about the consequential effects on the heart and artery due to excessive endurance training.
This is the only article that to my knowledge has actually put a number of 1 hr/day of rigorous daily exercise as the most optimal, beyond which it can be unhealthy to the heart and cardiovascular system.

8. Sudden death while running in conditioned runners aged 40 years or over
Clinical and necropsy observations are described in five white male runners aged 40 to 53 years (average 46 years) who ran 22 to 176 km/week (mean 53 km) for 1 to 10 years (mean 5). None had clinical evidence of cardiac disease before they became habitual runners, and all died while running. At necropsy all had severe atherosclerotic luminal narrowing of their major epicardial coronary arteries. Of the five runners, at least four had hypercholesterolemia, two had systemic hypertension, one had angina pectoris and none had clinical evidence of an acute myocardial infarct. The single symptomatic runner also had an abnormal resting electrocardiogram and a positive exercise stress test. The electrocardiogram (four patients) and exercise stress tests (three patients) in the other four runners were normal. At autopsy, all five men had greater than 75 percent narrowing of cross-sectional area by atherosclerotic plaques of the right, left anterior descending and left circumflex coronary arteries. In three men the entire lengths of these three coronary arteries and also the left main coronary artery were examined histologically (total 5 mm segments = 153); 73 (48 percent) of the segments were narrowed greater than 75 percent in cross-sectional area by atherosclerotic plaques and 32 (21 percent) were narrowed by 51 to 75 percent. Four of the five runners had healed (clinically silent) myocardial infarcts. Thus, coronary heart disease appears to be the major killer of conditioned runners aged 40 years and over who die while running.
Now this article probably is less applicable to a 13 yr old boy. However, it's still an interesting case study of "masters athletes" and they risk they could be assuming when participating in extreme endurance events. The article highlights the fact that if you're 40 yr old or older, then you best should make sure that you do have a history of hypercholesterolemia and hypertension before choosing to participate in extreme endurance event. A 13 yr old boy probably not going to have hypercholesterolemia and hypertension at this age (yet), but who knows if he's been eating a good diet or not.

9. Gesink withdraws from competition with cardiac arrhythmia
Anyone remember Robert Gesink's heart condition back in 2014? I have never heard about an update since. It's another case study that interests me. Gesink seems to be riding healthy today based on his Strava. I hope him the best of luck

10. Michael Goolaerts' death raises question as to why so many cyclists suffer heart attacks
Here's a more recent case of Michael Goolaerts during Paris-Roubaix. This was really sad for me, as I watched this live, and people thought he just overcooked a corner when he crashed. Now we know he had a heart attack. Truely sad.
Here's a quote from the article (which has been reverberated in many scientific studies):
A 2017 study by the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota came to the conclusion that white men who compete in an extreme amount of sports over a period of years have a tendency to develop premature calcification of the coronary arteries. The extremely athletic subjects studied were even more likely to develop coronary artery calcification than those who had engaged in no physical activity over the years. This was particularly noticeable in the white male subjects who engaged in particularly demanding sports. They had an 85 percent higher chance of developing coronary artery calcification than the general population.

Another 2017 study published in the JAMA Cardiology medical journal found that coronary artery calcification is one cause of heart attacks, particularly at a relatively young age.
The article also conveniently gives a long list of cyclists who died of heart attacks:

In 2004, Belgian Stive Vermaut died at the age of 28 following a heart attack he suffered during a training session. In the 2000 season, he rode alongside Lance Armstrong with the US Postal team.

• Also in 2004, Belgian cross specialist Tim Pauwels died after the 23-year-old suffered cardiac arrest during a minor race in Erpe-Mere, Belgium.

• In 2005, Alessio Galletti fell off his bike in the Spanish race Subida al Naranco and did not get up. The 37-year-old Italian, who rode for the Naturino-Sapore di Mare team, had also succumbed to cardiac arrest.

• In 2009, 21-year-old Frederiek Nolf of the Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator team died in his sleep one night during the Qatar Tour. According to media reports from the time, all of the evidence pointed to the Belgian having suffered a heart attack, however his parents declined an autopsy.

• In 2010, Luxembourg's Kim Kirchen, then 39, suffered cardiac arrest, was placed into an artificial coma, however, he survived the incident. The former T-mobile Team rider subsequently ended his racing career.

• In 2012, Rob Goris died of a heart attack in a hotel at the age of 30. Like Goolaerts, the Belgian competed for the Veranda-sponsored team.

• In 2016, 21-year-old Dutch rider Gijs Verdick of Cyclingteam Jo Piels suffered two heart attacks during an under-23 tour in Poland and was placed into an artificial coma. Verdick was brought from Poland to Zwolle in the Netherlands, where he passed away a day after his arrival.

• Also in 2016, the Belgian Daan Myngheer (Team Roubaix Lille Métropole) suffered a heart attack and died during the first stage of the Criterium International, a two-day race in France. He had complained of discomfort during the race and collapsed after seeking medical attention. Myngheer was just 22 years old.

All these scientific studies and case studies did not specifically concentrate on cyclists. They are mainly about runners and skiers. Probably it's because running (and maybe skiing) is a more popular sport and thus presents more chances for science to study them. It's not like science can ethically ask a large population of cyclists to undergo extreme training and then observe the effects on the heart and artery (and hope that they don't die). So at present time, scientific evidence will have to be proxied from the running (and skiing) world. It's the best we've got. Nonetheless, there are lots of anecdotes from the cycling world. But to say "no evidence" is complete nonsense. Human physiology is still human physiology regardless if we're dealing with a runner or a cyclist.

Last edited by aclinjury; 10-04-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 02:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have provided both evidence and case study my previous posts. You seem to dismiss case studies rather easily, and considering that you haven't provided any counter arguments in your dismissal and keep repeating the mantra "where is the evidence" (even though I have linked to a scientific study in one of my previous posts), I take that you have no interest in debating or providing anything substantial on a deeper level?

SNIP
Never said over-training isn't a real thing, nor that it can't hurt or even kill people. I was focusing on the concrete circumstances presented in the OP. Frankly, the level of cycling that seems to be described there did not reach anywhere near the levels of activities that are discussed in the studies. Also, as you note, it is at best questionable whether activities such as cross-training, running and cross-country skiing really are comparable to cycling, and one cannot simply say because this thing happens to people in their 40s, it means 13 year olds shouldn't ride centuries. I could go case-by-case on all the studies you posted and argue why claiming any one of them applies to the OP is quite a stretch, but life is too short.

You keep putting an argument I'm not making into my mouth. All I'm saying is that the parents of this kid are in a far better position to judge whether the kid is possibly over-training, and that the OP really shouldn't second-guess them based on his/her external observations. If you feel differently, you should definitely support haranguing parents at football games where the risks are far more evident and clear-cut.

And seriously, based on one of the studies you posted, are you really suggesting we should limit our bike rides to an hour? Slight change in CV risk is a price I'm willing to pay for the other benefits I get from extended riding.
Old 10-04-18, 02:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Wow. All this back-and-forth over whether or not a 13 year old can do a century with out paying his dues.

It seems a simple matter, really. Did he work up his cardio-vascular system incrementally in a healthy manner? Given his track/field history, I'd say he is healthy & well adapted to the activity. Intrepretation: It's not that extreme so it poses no additional risk over any other activity & probably less risk than no activity at all.

If it were my kid, I'd ensure he at least got 100% RDA of calcium/magnesium & potassium from dietary sources but would advise against supplements. A glass of low sodium V8, and a spinich salad with a glass of milk would alleviate my concern...In short, if he eats right & is within his ability, why not?

I rode plenty of 30-40 mile rides on the weekends when I was a smoker at the age of 13. It's not really a big deal from a physiological stand point IMO.
Old 10-04-18, 02:53 PM
aclinjury

Never said over-training isn't a real thing, nor that it can't hurt or even kill people. I was focusing on the concrete circumstances presented in the OP. Frankly, the level of cycling that seems to be described there did not reach anywhere near the levels of activities that are discussed in the studies. Also, as you note, it is at best questionable whether activities such as cross-training, running and cross-country skiing really are comparable to cycling, and one cannot simply say because this thing happens to people in their 40s, it means 13 year olds shouldn't ride centuries. I could go case-by-case on all the studies you posted and argue why claiming any one of them applies to the OP is quite a stretch, but life is too short.

You keep putting an argument I'm not making into my mouth. All I'm saying is that the parents of this kid are in a far better position to judge whether the kid is possibly over-training, and that the OP really shouldn't second-guess them based on his/her external observations. If you feel differently, you should definitely support haranguing parents at football games where the risks are far more evident and clear-cut.

And seriously, based on one of the studies you posted, are you really suggesting we should limit our bike rides to an hour? Slight change in CV risk is a price I'm willing to pay for the other benefits I get from extended riding.
No I'm not here to actively persuade any parent of anything on a level that is more than I'm already participating in this thread. I don't know the boy, I don't know the OP, and I don't know what the extent of the knowledge that OP knows about the boy's athletic history. And I don't know how much the boy's parents know about the science. But I wouldn't be so quick to say that his parents know what's best for him.! No way. His parents would only know this if they're an expert in this field themselves. Otherwise, they're just the OP, maybe even less knowledgeable. And even if parents do know the dangers, some parents still choose to allow their kid to participate in the danger. Case in point, highschool football (like you said). However, I do want to post what evidence science has and whatever case studies there are and anecdotes there are out there. And my main goal is to refute the casual claim of "no evidence". There is evidence. The evidence may not the gold-standard of a "controlled randomized trial" type of study (it ethically can't be since we're dealing with human lives), but evidence do exist that is still extrapolatable across human physiology to some degree. The degree of extrapolation is open to interpretation. Well I took my time to post what I think could be useful info, it's up to the readers to judge for themselves, with or without your further critique. That's the beauty of an open forum discussion like this, I don't have to persuade anyone or be a parent, all my views are posted and subjected to cross examination should anyone wants to.

Ok just one last thing I want to mention about applying studies from a different discipline. Let's say there are studies from the automobile industry concluding that a blow force of so-and-so amount to the human head would be enough to cause concussion. And now we find out that in football helmet-to-helmet contact actually produce a great force than this. Then can we conclude that based on the data from the automobile industry, kids playing football will likely going to get a concussion? Or are we to say "well since the automobile data is not data gathered on a football field, then data is completely useless?

Last edited by aclinjury; 10-04-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 03:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by base2

I rode plenty of 30-40 mile rides on the weekends when I was a smoker at the age of 13. It's not really a big deal from a physiological stand point IMO.
Ahh, the good old days! Back in the mid-1970s, you could have been any one of about 20 of my smoking/biking friends.
Old 10-06-18, 12:05 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by base2
I was following this older dude who was smoking the whole time on a century ride a few weeks ago. It was kinda impressive tbh.