Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kid's bike grip shifter rant....geeeezus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kid's bike grip shifter rant....geeeezus

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 07:19 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Kids bikes are terrible. My daughter's 12in wheel bike purchased for her 3rd birthday had brakes harder to pull than any of my bikes and i had to choose, fit and tune a more appropriate set.

Her current 16in wheel bike, also originally equipped with stabilisers, came with equally poor brakes that i've equally had to uprate.

I have plenty of adult kit in my spares bin - it looks like when i get her a 6-speed 20in wheel bike I'll be fitting 9-speed Deore XT gears and hydro brakes to it!
Old 10-03-18, 07:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Grip shifters have to be difficult to use, due to the cable being pulled around a 22.2mm handlebar. There's simply less leverage on the cable.

Shimano's RevoShift are considerably easier to use than Sram's GripShift, though you need bigger hands because Shimano tackled the issue with a broader grip.

Not only does the handlebar girth mean pulling harder on the cable against the derailleur's resistance, but the cable is easier for the derailleur to pull back, so the locating spring/ball for each speed position has to be tight.

Over-shifters have a lot of leverage, so they can have a weaker spring fitted (some have resistance variation). But they're out of popularity.
Old 10-03-18, 08:52 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's plenty of old parts on Craigslist here. I'm sure ebay would work fine too.
Old 10-03-18, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
There's no reason why they should be hard to operate. The more common complaint is accidentally shifting when going over a bump (too easy to shift.) Like Retro says, make sure you get the right model - either Shimano-compatible or ESP. If you try to use an ESP shifter on a Shimano derailleur, the pull ratio will be wrong and yes it'll probably be hard to work.
I have never heard a kid say "aww man, my bike shifted because i hit a bump!", but I've lost count on the number of times I have helped a kid shift due to their hands not being large enough / strong enough. And the group ive heard this from is only 7 kids. My daughters, my nieces, and a couple neighborhood kids are the only experience I have with kods and grip shifters, but about half the bikes have been terrible for the kid using the bike at that time.
Old 10-04-18, 06:57 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ok, this seems to be a total racket to me. Why is it the difference in cost from a crap grip shifter that many kids can't even comfortably turn, and a trigger, is about $200 worth of bike? Seriously? The parts are like $25 different. Half the combos of grip shifter and RD are totally unworkable for whatever size kid is riding a 20" bike. I'm looking for a younger kid, and had to return an REI coop bike as even for me as an adult going up the cassette from small to bigger cogs was stupid difficult. Then started looking for trigger shift, and holy WTF. It's ridiculous. We're talking $400 for a kids bike with triggers when my wife's Trek for $300 has trigger shifting. I'm at the point of buying a used CL bike and doing the conversion myself to save about $300. Why is this seem like such an industry wide stupidity thing? I had him try the wife's bike's shifters while I turned the pedals on the work stand and he could do it. Grip shift on the REI bike, nope.
I had grip shifters on my 1997 Cannondale Super V 700. i switched the handlebars (wider) and trigger shifters after riding for 13 years. I think as long as you have the right number of gears it shouldn't be an issue to switch. I found that when climbing or pulling up on the handlebars I changed the gears by accident. I have noticed that multiple kids bikes manufacturers use the grip shift though. Also cant figure out why kids bikes weight a ton either.
Old 10-04-18, 07:16 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have never seen that issue with kids and grip shifts. I put some on kids bikes and there were no issues. 3rd and 6th grade girls. They are much more intuitive than trigger shifters for inexperienced riders.
I have a niece in 3rd grade. (and she is very big and strong for her age) She could upshift on my daughter's bike easily. Downshifting was much more difficult, though she did manage it eventually.

I have a niece in 5th grade as well. We rented bikes on a family vacation in Yellowstone. She didn't have too much of a problem with the grip shifters on that bike.

But for 6 or 7 or 8-year-olds the large grip diameter and poor mechanical advantage makes it very difficult. If you read through the responses here you'll see that I'm not the only one who has observed this.

The TX50 shifters (and most others) display the gear you're in right on the shifter. My daughter already knows that low numbers = easier/slower and high numbers = harder/faster. I don't think it'll take her long to get it once she has a shifter that she can actually work.

Last edited by clengman; 10-04-18 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I replaced the grip shifter with trigger shifters and haven't looked back yet - so much better.
While I agree for the most part, grip shifters have their place. See below

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ok, this seems to be a total racket to me.

Why is this seem like such an industry wide stupidity thing? I had him try the wife's bike's shifters while I turned the pedals on the work stand and he could do it. Grip shift on the REI bike, nope.
No, it's not a racket. Nor are grip shifters meant to emulate motorcycle throttles. For some...especially children...grip shifters are easier to actuate than some trigger shifters. Cheaper trigger shifters can be particularly stiff and hard for small hands and weak thumbs to push on. They are also easier to use if your motor skills aren't as well developed or you don't understand the shifter. A twisting motion is a bit more intuitive than pushing a paddle.

That said, they aren't great shifters but neither are the trigger shifters you find on most kids bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-04-18, 09:09 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That said, they aren't great shifters but neither are the trigger shifters you find on most kids bikes.
T-bar on Raleigh Chopper worked well enough best shifter ever!
Old 10-06-18, 07:32 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Axed because of safety concerns apparently - yet has anyone ever heard of a kid being hurt by one?

Meanwhile kids are falling off bikes when they're struggling to change gear by other means..
Old 10-06-18, 08:16 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Folks have been complaining about the weight, quality and price of derailleur equipped bikes for kids for a long time. The reality is, that the market for high quality kids bikes is very small. In my opinion, a good way to deal with it is to modify an inexpensive bike with better quality components. Other folks have given their suggestions. Here's my suggestion: fit a 3 speed internally geared rear hub. Three gear rations are more than enough for most young riders and they can be shifted while stopped. Shifting while stopped is great when you're stopped at the bottom of a hill or on a small incline at a stop sign on the bike path. The downside of such a bike is that there is more weight in the rear.

My children are grown and none have really embraced cycling even though we tried to make our family outings comfortable and enjoyable. Unfortunately, few children discover and enjoy cycling like many of us boomers did growing up in less fearful times by riding around the neighborhood with our friends, perhaps even to a local store or even to school. In the USA, those activities are very rare for young people. I hope you are able to find a way to make cycling a lifelong activity for your child.
Old 10-06-18, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Typical suggestion, top of the bar thumb shifters,
can be turned like a faucet handle by small hands.

<guess> You got a bike from some big box store ,
based solely on low Price?
Old 10-06-18, 01:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For some...especially children...grip shifters are easier to actuate than some trigger shifters.
My experience is that many children, and even some adults, lack the grip strength to operate a grip-shifter, particularly when maintenance has been neglected and no care has been taken to optimize cable routing (a common malady for department-store assembled bikes).
Old 10-06-18, 07:21 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Originally Posted by honcho
Folks have been complaining about the weight, quality and price of derailleur equipped bikes for kids for a long time. The reality is, that the market for high quality kids bikes is very small. In my opinion, a good way to deal with it is to modify an inexpensive bike with better quality components. Other folks have given their suggestions. Here's my suggestion: fit a 3 speed internally geared rear hub. Three gear rations are more than enough for most young riders and they can be shifted while stopped. Shifting while stopped is great when you're stopped at the bottom of a hill or on a small incline at a stop sign on the bike path. The downside of such a bike is that there is more weight in the rear.

My children are grown and none have really embraced cycling even though we tried to make our family outings comfortable and enjoyable. Unfortunately, few children discover and enjoy cycling like many of us boomers did growing up in less fearful times by riding around the neighborhood with our friends, perhaps even to a local store or even to school. In the USA, those activities are very rare for young people. I hope you are able to find a way to make cycling a lifelong activity for your child.
My afore-mentioned Raleigh Grifter had both a 3-speed hub, and the old Sturmey Archer twist shifter. That was very hard to use, because the shifter twisted via the handlegrip itself.. but those hubs work with generic Shimano etc 3-speed left hand shifters, and the resistance on a well-routed cable is light compared to a derailleur, so I think there's an answer in there.
Old 10-06-18, 07:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
As long as the price point is $99.99 the bikes will continue to worsen. There don’t seem to be a lot of bikes any more like the Chopper or Stingray, tanks but quality built and reliable.
Old 10-06-18, 07:56 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Cycling isn't such a big thing for kids these days, that's why they're all getting fat and we're all blaming sugar, and pumping them full of artificial sweeteners instead.

So there's less emphasis on interesting bikes, now - the emphasis is on expensive gaming. Indoors. On their asre.

Perhaps that's why the emphasis is also on 99.99.
Old 10-06-18, 08:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I can see in a catalog that Stingrays ranged from $52-87 in 1968. That's $375-627 in today dollars. $627 will do you pretty well at most bike companies.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-06-18, 08:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Cycling isn't such a big thing for kids these days, that's why they're all getting fat and we're all blaming sugar, and pumping them full of artificial sweeteners instead.

So there's less emphasis on interesting bikes, now - the emphasis is on expensive gaming. Indoors. On their asre.

Perhaps that's why the emphasis is also on 99.99.
cheap kids bikes were all over the place 20 years and 30 years ago. Its nothing new.
I think its inaccurate to claim quality kids bikes arent around as much now because the interest is in gaming.
for some, sure thats accurate. But hardly for all...or even most.

as for the obesity thing...it isnt only because kids don't ride bikes as much. That may be one of many reasons, but hardly the sold reason.
Old 10-06-18, 09:10 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho

I did exactly that when I built a bike for my then 7 year old grand daughter. I also converted the wheel size so I could fit dual pivot brakes. The result was a bike that functioned supremely well and made a little girl very happy.
I think I posted here about it when I did it.
Ah yes, here it is. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...id-s-bike.html
Old 10-07-18, 06:45 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
[QUOTE=honcho;20602908Here's my suggestion: fit a 3 speed internally geared rear hub. Three gear ratios are more than enough for most young riders and they can be shifted while stopped.[/QUOTE]

I bought one recently w/that exact setup. It's a good idea, and works well. The distance between clicks is enough that kids don't overshoot like with seven-speed, and the Nexus shifter rotates easily enough for little hands.
Old 10-07-18, 10:40 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
As long as the price point is $99.99 the bikes will continue to worsen. There don’t seem to be a lot of bikes any more like the Chopper or Stingray, tanks but quality built and reliable.
Bull. Woom and Islabike both make extremely nice bikes for kids. And as for prices, see Darth Lefty’s post above. The Woom and Isla kids bikes are comparable to those prices in today’s money.
Old 10-07-18, 10:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Aubergine

Bull. Woom and Islabike both make extremely nice bikes for kids. And as for prices, see Darth Lefty’s post above. The Woom and Isla kids bikes are comparable to those prices in today’s money.
How funny that you contradict my first post citing my second one! They are nice. They are not like a Stingray, or a Varsity. In most ways they are better to ride. They are maybe not better to own.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-08-18, 11:44 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
The biggest hassle with swapping from grip shift to trigger is re-running the shift cable and readjusting it. I've had good luck with used shifters from a co-op, although they sometimes need to flushed with penetrating oil to loosen them . Alternatively you can get Microshift 7 or 8 speed triggers cheaply.
Kinda the hassle with any shifter. Any of them but probably Di2 are easier to fool with than grip shifters. I'd rather dissasemble a set of trigger shifters to run a cable than a pair of gripshifts.
Old 10-11-18, 09:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
To clarify, these kids bikes in question affixed with the difficult shifters are in the $350 price range. The one we bought was $350 from REI.

It takes $500 or more to get the same bike into trigger shift. Woom or Frog essentially.

That's my point. This is NOT a $99 Target or Walmart bike.

I'm going to cruise CL for a name brand used bike at good price, and then strip it and make it what I want it to be.

I really wish mfgs could be pointed to topics like this and read it. $350 is a lot of dough for something that essentially doesn't even do what it was designed to do.
Old 10-11-18, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
they are in Asia , and busy making things to ship to the West,
where people write to internet forums
on the company computer, instead of working..

Old 10-12-18, 07:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by fietsbob
they are in Asia , and busy making things to ship to the West,
where people write to internet forums
on the company computer, instead of working..

good one, bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.