Old 12-10-16, 05:49 AM
65andtrekbiking

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks from Dayton, Ohio

How many guys and gals from Dayton, Ohio? I have been biking about two months now. I try to average about 20 miles per day. I have a Trek FX 7.3 bike. We are fortunate to have the nations largest bike pavement network of 330 miles. I actually like to ride in the winter more then summer. Sounds kinda crazy but just more relaxing to me. I just joined this forum on Dec 8,2016.
Old 01-01-17, 06:47 AM
Crazyraceguy

Bikes: 17 Cannondale quick5 17 Giant FastRoad

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not too far away in Columbus, but I had no idea about the paved trails you mentioned. I ride the Scioto greenway trails along with the city streets here, but would like to check that out.
Old 01-01-17, 07:09 AM
65andtrekbiking

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe someday we can meet and go for a 20 miler or so. Happy to see you lose all that weight. I try to get 20 miles a day in with weather permitting. Don't care about the cold, but 15-20 mph head winds keep me indoors.
Old 01-11-17, 07:05 PM
Crazyraceguy

Bikes: 17 Cannondale quick5 17 Giant FastRoad

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be great.

Originally Posted by 65andtrekbiking
Maybe someday we can meet and go for a 20 miler or so. Happy to see you lose all that weight. I try to get 20 miles a day in with weather permitting. Don't care about the cold, but 15-20 mph head winds keep me indoors.
I am always looking to meet other riders, especially when there is something new to explore.
Old 01-12-17, 09:06 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
My wife's parents live in Miamisburg. We visit every year over Christmas. I always see the MUP that runs along the river and goes all the way into Kettering. I'd love to bring my bike some year and explore it, but unfortunately we're usually packed too full with luggage.
Old 01-12-17, 11:30 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
SW Ohio bike trails
On google maps, pull down the menu on the left, and select Bicycling, and Earth. Now the trails show up as a solid green line. Zoom way in, and the name of the trail is repeated along the green line. Here's the map link.

Xenia Ohio is a hub for a lot of these trails, and they have a (recreated) train depot with bathrooms and exhibits. All the trail stops have parking, water, and bathrooms.
Little Miami Trail map pdf.

There's plans for a bridge at the newly built south end of the trail, which would then extend the trail all the way to downtown Cincinnati. It's a few years away, though.

(There's two different rivers, the Great Miami River and the Little Miami River, both have trails.)

Originally Posted by 65andtrekbiking
How many guys and gals from Dayton, Ohio? I have been biking about two months now. I try to average about 20 miles per day. I have a Trek FX 7.3 bike. We are fortunate to have the nations largest bike pavement network of 330 miles. I actually like to ride in the winter more then summer. Sounds kinda crazy but just more relaxing to me. I just joined this forum on Dec 8,2016.
Originally Posted by Crazyraceguy
I'm not too far away in Columbus, but I had no idea about the paved trails you mentioned. I ride the Scioto greenway trails along with the city streets here, but would like to check that out.
Here's a 29 mile out-and-back on the Little Miami Trail: ridewithgps link. I think this is the most scenic section, and it's "worth the drive". It follows the old railroad path through the wooded river valley. It's not as busy as the trail sections closer to the cities. Get some ice cream in Morrow at the turn around, or stop at the trailside cafe in Oregonia.

The section from Morrow to Loveland to Milford is very nice, too. Busier near the towns, but quiet once you are a few miles out. Loveland has a big trail head, with a city park, lots of restaurants, and Graeters Ice Cream a couple of blocks away. 14 miles Morrow to Loveland, 9 more miles to Milford.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
My wife's parents live in Miamisburg. We visit every year over Christmas. I always see the MUP that runs along the river and goes all the way into Kettering. I'd love to bring my bike some year and explore it, but unfortunately we're usually packed too full with luggage.
I've been on the Great Miami River trail, about 5 miles from Miamisburg to Franklin, as part of a longer ride. I liked it, lots of woods and not many riders. I think the northern section follows the river inside the levee, so the scenery isn't quite as interesting there.

EDIT -- rode part of the trail to Hamilton OH, then toured the city streets. Hamilton has lots of interesting architecture, both downtown and across the river. There's a very nice historic district on the NW side of the river, around C Street and D Street. I stopped at True West Coffee, recommended.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-06-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 11:43 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Off the trails
The country roads in SW Ohio are really nice for riding. Many of the secondary roads are very quiet, with not much traffic. It's farmland, woods, creek valleys, and small towns.

However, it's not always obvious where to go ride. (I've found lots of good routes by riding with the local bike club group rides.) I like browsing the Strava Heat Map, which colors in roads based on a year of uploaded GPS recordings to strava.com. The red roads are the most popular, and are usually very nice to ride. There's more riders near cities, so those areas show more activity.

SW Ohio Strava Heat Map.
Click Toggle Labels on the left side to show street and town names.

For instance, near Corwin:
I did this 36 mile loop. This has quite a few turns, though. I have a GPS for navigation, which makes it simple to try new routes.

A 25 mile ride, partly on the trail. The valley crossing at mile shows 20% grades, but that's not correct, it's about 5-6%, a moderate grade. This looks good. I've been on most of those roads, very scenic.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-12-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 05:08 PM
Lion Steve

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live just north of Springfield. I retired early about 12 years ago and started riding. I ride everyday when weather permits, and have logged over 7,000 miles several years in a row, and over 8,000 last year. The trails from Springfield north to Urbana, the Simon Kenton Trail, and south to Yellow Springs and Xenia, Little Miami Trail, are terrific places to ride. In Springfield, the Buck Creek Trail is a good in town trail. Springfield has been very active in trying to promote riding. They have expanded some of the streets with bike lanes, even out to the suburbs, and this past year added an in town dedicated expansion of the Little Miami to the southern part of the town.
Old 02-08-17, 07:16 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
SW Ohio bike trails
On google maps, pull down the menu on the left, and select Bicycling, and Earth. Now the trails show up as a solid green line. Zoom way in, and the name of the trail is repeated along the green line. Here's the map link.

Xenia Ohio is a hub for a lot of these trails, and they have a (recreated) train depot with bathrooms and exhibits. All the trail stops have parking, water, and bathrooms.
Little Miami Trail map pdf.

There's plans for a bridge at the newly built south end of the trail, which would then extend the trail all the way to downtown Cincinnati. It's a few years away, though.

(There's two different rivers, the Great Miami River and the Little Miami River, both have trails.)

Here's a 29 mile out-and-back on the Little Miami Trail: ridewithgps link. I think this is the most scenic section, and it's "worth the drive". It follows the old railroad path through the wooded river valley. It's not as busy as the trail sections closer to the cities. Get some ice cream in Morrow at the turn around, or stop at the trailside cafe in Oregonia.

The section from Morrow to Loveland to Milford is very nice, too. Busier near the towns, but quiet once you are a few miles out. Loveland has a big trail head, with a city park, lots of restaurants, and Graeters Ice Cream a couple of blocks away. 14 miles Morrow to Loveland, 9 more miles to Milford.

I've been on the Great Miami River trail, about 5 miles from Miamisburg to Franklin, as part of a longer ride. I liked it, lots of woods and not many riders. I think the northern section follows the river inside the levee, so the scenery isn't quite as interesting there.
1. I like the little Ice cream place in Morrow better. I can't wait until they connect the rest of the Great Miami trail to the south end . The extension on the Little Miami is suppose to run all the way to Fern bank park on the south west side of Cincinnati
Old 02-13-17, 10:02 PM
daytonmark

Bikes: Giant Defy3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kettering

Just joined Forum
I live in Kettering and access the trails from Carillon Park or from Beavercreek heading east to Xenia - to the "hub".
I've ridden as a minor sport for years, but anticipating it becoming my primary sport. Still trying to figure out how to deal with the cold months though... I don't like cold weather!
Old 02-14-17, 04:08 PM
Jeffrey59

Bikes: Schwinn, Raleigh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Centerville! I'm between Centerville and the Dayton Mall, and now can get to the trail system via the new trail along Holes Creek and then to Yankee Vinyards and the MUP along Austin Blvd though Waldruh, which connects eventually with the Medlar trail to the river trail.

Or, for a good basic country road ride to Waynesville/Corwin via Lytle., then take the Little Miami either way. That's a good workout, with the "Lytle Rollers" between Lytle and Waynesville.

Generally I use my bike in conjunction with RTA and sometimes Greene CATs for longer distance rides on the trails north and east of Dayton, and also a lot of country road riding. As has been noted country road riding is pretty sweet in the Dayton region...and you can plan a ride with a mix of terrain, too.

Does anyone else use their bike a secondary form of transportation? Here in Centerville area I find I can get by (as a single guy) pretty easy by bike, for everyday things....groceries, shopping, barber, library, etc.

Anyway, very happy to see other Dayton bike riders online! :-)
Old 03-11-17, 03:30 PM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm In Columbus, Go Buckeyes! I ride Olentangy Trail's. It's bumpy at spots but easy to get on from my house. Let me know if you want to meet up.

https://www.columbus.gov/recreationa...entangy-Trail/
Old 04-03-17, 05:01 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to any bike shop and pick up a map. It's free and show the trails in and around C-Bus as of 2016.
I live in Westerville and pick up the Alum Creek Trail from there. It runs 33 miles from Westerville to Grove City.
Great ride!

IamAlan
Old 05-06-17, 12:19 PM
franksj

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Expert, Specialized AWOL, Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Springfield! Just joined recently. Thanks RM -RF for the ideas. I, too, am trying to figure out the trails in SW Ohio.
Old 05-06-17, 03:36 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Good to see a Ohio based thread on local trails! Have been on every trail mentioned over the past few years, well couple of decades anyway.

Many great places to ride here. Park in Xenia and ride to Columbus. Springfield and ride to Dayton. Columbus to London. Heck my son and I have even left Columbus and rode to Cincy mostly on trails.

I'm fortunate to have actually have MUP in my backyard and the Ohio to Erie trail about half mile away!
Old 05-06-17, 05:42 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

I posted this Cincinnati river ride on another thread. It's 25 miles round trip, on bike paths and dedicated bike lanes on Riverside Drive. There's lots to see, so this is good to ride at an easy pace. It's "worth the drive."

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-06-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 04:29 PM
scurvycapn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Kettering. Hadn't ridden a bike since the mid 90s until I bought one three years ago. I pretty much just ride on the trails these days. I used to ride around the residential roads in the neighborhood, but I got sick of the constant stop signs and stopping so people didn't run me over while backing out of their driveways.

I try to hit the trails at least once a week after work for 20 miles or so, then get a good 40 - 60 on the weekend. I wish all the rain would stop. I'm on vacation this week, so I'm going to at least get a few long rides in.

I ended up with just over 1000 miles last year thanks to grinding some miles out on the trainer over the winter. I'm on pace for at least 1200 this year, but I'm hoping for 1500 or more once we hit peak summer and I can spend more time on the trails.
Old 01-28-18, 06:35 PM
GoMtnBiking

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, SW Ohio trails are great. Love the trail along the Little Miami River. I will never look at that river the same after reading The Frontiersmen.
Old 07-23-18, 07:18 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Kettering

hi. I live in Oakwood, just across the Street from Kettering. I'm an old guy on a number of steel bikes. A black and grey All City Disc Spacehorse, a Red Jamis Eclipse, a Blue Peloton, or a myriad of C&V steel bikes, including a bunch of 24 inch grey Treks of various flavors.

My my favorite ride is bike path behind Carmels, to UD, out to the river, Xenia to Yellow Springs and back.
Old 07-29-18, 06:33 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
A BikeForums ride would be kinda cool. IIRC, the last Saturday of every month, Xenia Station gives out free hot doggos to cyclist (that means us).
​​​​​​
Old 09-05-18, 11:45 AM
BikeTales 

Bikes: Custom 94 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Hey y'all. Posting from Cincinnati.

We're holding a Classic & Vintage Bicycle Swap Meet and Retro Ride this Saturday morning. Info below. Come on out!

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/285538908713118/

Join us at the Armleder Loop Trailhead in Armleder Park just beyond the Dog Park for an informal swap meet and retro ride. Bring your classic ride that is 25 years or older and any parts or bikes(vintage or modern) you would like to swap/sell. Swap meet and general tire kicking from 9AM until 11AM. Retro ride around the large Lunken/Armleder bike trail from 11AM until noon and then an optional lunch meet at the Sky Galley restaurant at Lunken after the ride. Link to meet location: https://goo.gl/maps/AWbpjrfuov12

Sorry for spamming. Won't happen again
Old 09-12-18, 12:57 PM
daveinoh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Cincinnati now but I went to high school in Huber Heights. Ride a lot with the wife downtown here in Cincy and on the Little Miami trail. Rode a section of the Miami trail in Dayton and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more and more trails opening up and connecting over the next few years!