Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

True Cyclist

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

True Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 10:29 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
True Cyclist

Because of my experiences watching bike commuter's in my city, I now think of you all who use bikes as transportation as the "true cyclists". Cheers to all commuters.
Old 03-11-18, 11:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
...but does this mean that there are 'false' cyclists also? And who might they be?
Old 03-11-18, 11:14 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Ok, I drive sometimes. Does that make me "Untrue". LOL
Old 03-11-18, 11:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
...but does this mean that there are 'false' cyclists also? And who might they be?
Holden Caulfield wants to know
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-11-18, 11:30 AM
mcours2006

Never read Catcher, @Darth Lefty, so...
Old 03-11-18, 03:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
True Cyclist Magazine.jpg (99.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 03-11-18, 03:35 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Anyone who rides a battery power motorized bike.
Old 03-11-18, 03:42 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by alan s
Whooomp! There it is!!
Old 03-11-18, 03:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Yep...

The Watopia Cyclists.
Old 03-11-18, 06:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Never read Catcher, @Darth Lefty, so...
You're not missing anything
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-12-18, 03:38 AM
Chuck Naill

What I had in mind is not that some are false.

Commuters use the bicycle for transportation, it's true purpose. You can commute on any type of bike available. You can wear anything you have. You don't have to camp or stay in a hotel. You don't have to ride fast or for a personal record. Commuting can be anything you like. This is what I've observed locally.

I am not a commuter, just making observations locally.
Old 03-12-18, 06:40 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I think this is an interesting distinction between the bike as a tool vs the bike as a toy. There's a fine line and many bikes and their riders can do both, perhaps even in the same ride.

When I bike to work, I often allow a few extra minutes to take the scenic route and get some additional miles in (tool and toy). When I bike home, I usually have a list of to-dos waiting so I just get home (tool only). Occasionally I fit in a fun weekend ride (toy only). All this is on the same bike.
Old 03-12-18, 06:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The people who drive their cars to Soul Cycle.
Old 03-12-18, 07:12 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill

Commuters use the bicycle for transportation, it's true purpose. You can commute on any type of bike available. You can wear anything you have. You don't have to camp or stay in a hotel. You don't have to ride fast or for a personal record. Commuting can be anything you like. This is what I've observed locally.
I think we have to be careful not to label ourselves, least of all with names that seem to elevate us from everyone else who do not do what we do. Bicycles have evolved to be so many other things over the years than just transportation. And I'm not sure that when the bike was first invented it was meant as a transport device anyway. I picture the inventor thinking, whoa, how cool is it that I can balance myself on two wheels! To me I just like seeing bikes and seeing people riding them, whether it's a large group of roadies, the kid down the street riding up and down the sidewalk, the teenagers at the skate park doing tricks on their BMXs, or the older gentleman carrying groceries on plastic bags hanging from the handlebar. It never fails to make me smile.
Old 03-12-18, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm lucky I get to enjoy my commutes on bike. Delivery bike people have hard lives which I don't envy. We can save the badass labels for them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-18, 10:30 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Anyone without gears and brakes.
Old 03-12-18, 11:50 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Anyone without gears and brakes.
I don’t hold it against someone who cannot afford such luxuries.
Old 03-12-18, 12:00 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I don’t hold it against someone who cannot afford such luxuries.
No gears no problem. No gears OR brakes and I hold it against them.

It's just stupid. And increasingly common.
Old 03-12-18, 03:01 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
No gears no problem. No gears OR brakes and I hold it against them.

It's just stupid. And increasingly common.
Don't forget those ultra narrow "handlebars" that put their hands withing an inch of the stem on either side. All in an attempt to look cool... and, BTW, it's a stupid look anyway.
Old 03-12-18, 03:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Don't forget those ultra narrow "handlebars" that put their hands withing an inch of the stem on either side. All in an attempt to look cool... and, BTW, it's a stupid look anyway.
And those people who insist on using "drop bars", but never actually ride in the drops?

I wouldn't worry about little things if a person can learn to ride their bike safely.
Old 03-12-18, 03:18 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
And those people who insist on using "drop bars", but never actually ride in the drops?

I wouldn't worry about little things if a person can learn to ride their bike safely.
Not sure nonsense like this is super safe in an urban setting. At least he has brakes, which plenty of them do without...

Old 03-12-18, 03:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Not sure nonsense like this is super safe in an urban setting. At least he has brakes, which plenty of them do without...

<photo>
What exactly is the nonsense here?
Old 03-12-18, 03:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
True Cyclist
Because of my experiences watching bike commuter's in my city, I now think of you all who use bikes as transportation as the "true cyclists". Cheers to all commuters.
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Just about every thread in every bicycling forum eventually ends up being a pissing contest over who is a real bicyclist, what is a real bicycle, etc.

This article from Bicycle Times, while not the final word, does a good job at opening up the conversation as to WHY we need to be so critical of each other...Opinion: Plenty of pie for all
In my reply to a thread on the Living Car Free Forum, “Do you really enjoy riding a bike?,” I posted my Cyclist qualifications
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident...
Back in 2015 was this thread on Fifty-Plus,that further subdivided these class distinctions, with my contributions, "Bike Riding vs Cycling."
Originally Posted by Viking55803
…While moving along I took a break from the sensations to daydream a bit. I was thinking about how the way most folks refer to cycling – riding a bike or biking – are just inadequate words to describe how I think or feel about what I am doing.

Riding a bike seems to be more about getting from here to there, while cycling seems to be about being on the bike. It doesn't really matter where I go, how far I go, or how long it takes me as it does about the experience itself.

Of course, the cliche' comes to mind: it's not about the destination, but he journey, but sometimes cliche's are apt, and I think cycling embodies that in a way few other activities do.
…So in considering your post, my first thought was I think I see the distinction you are drawing, but then thought it seems to hint a bit of elitism…I am a real cyclist;the others are just riding their bikes, though I presume that was not the intent.

So for example, are the subscribers who post to C&V, or Bicycle Mechanics and rave about parts and models real cyclists? Or are cycle commuters who slog through urban environments constantly on the alert for danger, real cyclists? Or Adovocacy&Safety and Living Car Free subscribers who advocate on behalf of cycling, really cyclists?

Not that this matters of course, as you said, and I’m not being argumentative; just reflecting on your thoughtful post. I would suggest a definition of a cyclist as one who claims to being a cyclist. For me I make that claim by describing that I live a cycling lifestyle. IMO this is distinctive, and a virtually “alternative” lifestyle.

But to get back to the immediate experience you described, as I understand it. I describe to myself as "becoming one with the bike." I'll leave the roadie vs Fred distinction for my previous "Fred Manifesto."
… Sometime after that thread ended, I thought about this seemingly trivial distinction that makes me think a rider is a real cyclist. I watch the way they pedal.

Without being judgemental about it, a cyclist has a fluid rotary pedaling motion, whereas I thinkbike riderwhen I see someone pedaling in a piston-like fashion.

Now since pedaling is the foundation of bike riding, I think that style and form makes the distinction. Of course then, while an E-bike rider is a “bike rider” they are not cyclists. No moral or “snobbish” judgement here, but a more "objective" one, FWIW.

Commuters use the bicycle for transportation, it's true purpose. You can commute on any type of bike available. You can wear anything you have. You don't have to camp or stay in a hotel. You don't have to ride fast or for a personal record.

Commuting can be anything you like. This is what I've observed locally.

I am not a commuter, just making observations locally..
Whooomp! There it is!!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-12-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 04:21 PM
Chuck Naill

I think we have to be careful not to label ourselves, least of all with names that seem to elevate us from everyone else who do not do what we do. Bicycles have evolved to be so many other things over the years than just transportation. And I'm not sure that when the bike was first invented it was meant as a transport device anyway. I picture the inventor thinking, whoa, how cool is it that I can balance myself on two wheels! To me I just like seeing bikes and seeing people riding them, whether it's a large group of roadies, the kid down the street riding up and down the sidewalk, the teenagers at the skate park doing tricks on their BMXs, or the older gentleman carrying groceries on plastic bags hanging from the handlebar. It never fails to make me smile.

There are accounts the bicycle was developed as a replacement for horse travel. Human propelled transportation seems to me the most reasonable explanation for why the bicycle developed and exactly what these commuters here are doing.

I was not attempting to label, but I have reads threads where touring must include this or that depending on your preference, and road biking has a definition that includes clothing, speed, and Strava. My point was to praise the original use of human propelled transportation by the commuter.
Old 03-12-18, 04:38 PM
caloso

There are accounts the bicycle was developed as a replacement for horse travel. Human propelled transportation seems to me the most reasonable explanation for why the bicycle developed and exactly what these commuters here are doing.

I was not attempting to label, but I have reads threads where touring must include this or that depending on your preference, and road biking has a definition that includes clothing, speed, and Strava. My point was to praise the original use of human propelled transportation by the commuter.
Good point. I also notice that bike dogmatism creeps in even among commuters, such that you'll read posts in this forum declaring that you can't be a real commuter unless your bike has fenders and racks. When in fact, any bike that gets ridden to work is by definition a commuting bike and the ethos should be "do what works for you."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.