Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What happened to these?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What happened to these?

Old 08-09-19, 04:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,110 Posts
What happened to these?

OK Folks,
I got a repair in today for a hub overhaul. These are the bearings that came out of the Shimano 600 Arabesque front hub. Hub was overloaded with white lithium grease, which is a pita to remove, but the bearings seem to be problematic. Any guesses? Maybe they were trying to make them look like ceramic bearings? Or just heat treated chrome? fire away at me with opinions... Smiles, MH
Old 08-09-19, 04:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I call them "burned balls" to my customers. But I suspect they have been worn enough to better allow a surface of corrosion to happen. I wonder if the previous owner/service guy was thinking they needed more grease when they were last cleaned and lubed.

Replace with fresh and take a look at the ball tracks on the cups and cones. Andy
Old 08-09-19, 05:15 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Lube failure, probably from to much and maybe not the right kind of grease. It leads to friction, which leads to heat, which leads to blue balls. I do it on purpose on small steel parts (especially screw heads) often with fire bluing.
Old 08-09-19, 05:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
custom anodized aluminum?

Old 08-09-19, 05:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
It leads to friction, which leads to heat, which leads to blue balls.
That's not the only thing that leads to blue balls...

/runs
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-09-19, 05:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo

/runs
If you didn't, I was going to attempt a lame joke.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-09-19, 08:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by jeffreythree
Lube failure, probably from to much and maybe not the right kind of grease. It leads to friction, which leads to heat, which leads to blue balls. I do it on purpose on small steel parts (especially screw heads) often with fire bluing.
What*******orry but never heard about too much lube (and lithium grease is a decade old acceptable bike bearing grease for most applications) being a cause of heat. Seriously, after 45 years of doing this stuff too much grease in a hub bearing... no. Andy
Old 08-09-19, 08:39 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What*******orry but never heard about too much lube (and lithium grease is a decade old acceptable bike bearing grease for most applications) being a cause of heat. Seriously, after 45 years of doing this stuff too much grease in a hub bearing... no. Andy
Any alternative suggestions for the OP then? Hot steel plus a petroleum product like grease or oil turns the steel blue or black. If the heat was from the bearing being tight the cones and/or the hub would be trash as well. It is not a problem in this case anyway. If the cones and hub are fine, it shouldn't be a problem in the future.
Old 08-09-19, 09:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I alluded to an alternative story line. Lithium grease isn't the norm for a Shimano factory lube. I suspect these hubs have been serviced before and the balls were burned/blued before the mentioned lithium greasing.

I have seen many examples of this, sometimes with pitted or cracked hub shell cups, many times without visible damage otherwise. But I don't remember lot's of lube. Andy
Old 08-10-19, 12:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo

/runs
Too many hours on the wrong saddle?
Old 08-10-19, 05:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Seriously, after 45 years of doing this stuff too much grease in a hub bearing... no. Andy
Especially on old hubs like those, any "excess" will just push past the seals.
Old 08-10-19, 05:42 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Too many hours on the wrong saddle?
I would've thought not enough hours in the saddle...
Old 08-10-19, 05:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If I saw that I'd suspect a previous owner had experimented with DIY heat treating. It's not difficult, especially if you have a workshop or big back yard. When I lived in a rural area our garden had a burn pile. I used it for old fashioned metal working projects using scrap files that had rusted out, to heat treat a flat spring on my great-granddad's old .32 rimfire Marlin lever action, etc. You can get some interesting colors depending on the materials used.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-10-19, 05:00 PM
Mad Honk 

Just checking back in on this one... Lots of interesting thoughts. I remember when custom grinding golf heads we would sometimes use a heat firing to achieve a special look on the outer surface of the club head. So I think heat is a likely problem here. I'm gonna let this one ride for a few days and see what else comes up. Smiles, MH
Old 08-10-19, 06:31 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I notice the balls on the left appear to be a different color than the ones on the right. Did they come out of the hub like that (all the blacker ones from one side of the hub, the colored ones from the other) , or is that just a trick of the lighting?

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I remember when custom grinding golf heads we would sometimes use a heat firing to achieve a special look on the outer surface of the club head. So I think heat is a likely problem here.
At least with firearms, this is a heat treatment called, "case coloring", and is often seen on high-end hunting shotguns, and Western-type guns like single action revolvers and lever rifles. It results in a distinctive rainbow, "oil on water" kind of look. The balls on the right look a little like that ( but tough to tell how much with the blurry pic). But I would agree, it does look like they may have seen some sort of heat treating. I don;t see that being corrosion, or mere abrasion. It's also tough to imagine this taking place inside a bike hub, without doing some very visible damage.
I dunno.

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-10-19 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 06:35 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

I'm pretty sure there's no way that bluing happened inside the hub, unless the wheels have somehow been spun up to like 50,000rpm.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-11-19, 05:40 AM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are all kinds of ball bearings, for bikes it's as you well now usually stainless steel (alloys with chrome, nickle, molybdenium?). I have seen titanium bearings but it's not very common. I remember having drive chains with all or every other link in a bluish color, it lasted as long as the chain did. This type of surface treatment can wear off, and I don't see how it can be an advantage in a bearing? Some alloys have a color all through the metal.

Either way, with a quick web search, all kinds of odd tings turn up.
Old 08-11-19, 08:40 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If I saw that I'd suspect a previous owner had experimented with DIY heat treating. It's not difficult, especially if you have a workshop or big back yard. When I lived in a rural area our garden had a burn pile. I used it for old fashioned metal working projects using scrap files that had rusted out, to heat treat a flat spring on my great-granddad's old .32 rimfire Marlin lever action, etc. You can get some interesting colors depending on the materials used.
Those blued bearing balls do look like they'd been in a fire.

Usually the only time I personally see blued metal from friction is from using a grinder without letting the object being ground cool properly between grinds.

One time I saw blued metal from heat was the head bolts in my step-daughters first Honda, which she drove without coolant until the engine seized.

Yet another time was a front axle spindle on my old 1972 Dodge Charger because all the grease turned to oil and ran out of the bearings. That got so hot from friction it tore the bearing cages apart and bent the spindle, and that spindle had turned blue.

So, I can't really imagine friction heat from a bicycle being ridden turning bearings blue without some real damage to the bearing cups, and you'd think the cyclist would have stopped pedaling due to increased resistance long before the bearings would have a chance to go blue.

However, I could see it being done with a bicycle with a gas engine mounted to it. Or by a cyclist that can pedal like a gas engine.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-11-19 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Interuptions at home
Old 08-11-19, 11:12 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Interesting, I've never seen that before. I like the thought of a gas/ebike being able to consistently cause enough heat to cause this, but I do know from experience that that amount of heat would have caused that lube to smoke. It would interesting to see a bike front wheel smoking down the road. Possibly a bike owned by that "Ghost Rider" guy.

I have "blued" various metals before but not something that was already properly heat-tempered and/or load bearing. There is a chemical "wash" that will give a similar appearance.
Old 08-11-19, 12:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
The only way too much lube gets enough heat to oxidize steel, or to change it's temper, is if the bearings are driven at high speed. Nothing on a bike approaches that speed (except the old friction dynamos). Even the dynamos aren't that fast.

I suspect that someone put these together with too little grease, or with oil, or without lube,and the resulting low- or no-lube condition caused heating.
Old 08-11-19, 01:16 PM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No lube would cause damage like a crushed ball, excessive wear, hault... pretty fast.
Old 08-11-19, 02:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I really attribute this bearing condition to a wear issue, not a heat one. My suggestion of the term "burned" is more for customer acceptance then actual causation. I've never thought that a bike component can get hot enough to chemically change the surface. I do see the effects of work hardening all the time. Common pits of ball tracks being the usual but in the extreme the hub shell will crack through when there's no pressed in, and thus separate piece, ball cup.

But I'm no bearing engineer so... Andy
Old 08-11-19, 04:20 PM
Mad Honk 

Andy,
I figured you would have picked it up right away. Brocephus is on the right track about the balls coming from either side of the hub.
A little back history on these hubs; I picked a Reynolds 531 bike complete out of the crush pile at a local scrap yard and paid six bucks for it. Group was a 600 arabesque, with touring tires and fenders. I kept the frame and sold the groupo to a young mechanic who wanted it for a project he was working on for $60. The wheels showed up in the local co-op last week so I bought them back. I think the white Li came from the young fella who probably overhauled the hubs. And I also think he put the same bearings back into the hubs in the same place.
Kimmo, I don't think the high speeds are a problem with these.
It is however my opinion that pressure was the culprit. And I think the damage was done long before my young mechanic got to these hubs. If you all will go look again at the picture again you may see it. The extremely damaged bearings are all the dark ones on the left side and were caused by too much pressure in the hub. The right side bearings show secondary damage due to temperature build up from the extreme pressure of the ones on the left. Some mechanic in the past made a rookie move and "count em" put twenty-one bearings into that hub. Riding it may have been difficult because the front wheel would roll ok, then tighten up, (and lather, rinse, repeat) for the duration of a ride. Maybe why it would up in the junkyard in the first place. It is possible to make a wheel feel like it is correctly set for bearing tolerances with too many bearings in the shell, but it will alternately loosen and tighten making truing impossible. I hope you all had some fun speculating, Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 08-11-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 06:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
So this was a test?
Old 08-11-19, 06:34 PM
Mad Honk 

Shelbyfv,
Your only submission was about excess lube being pushed out. and nothing very creative in your answers so maybe a C-.
It wasn't as much a test as we collectively could see the obvious problem before the speculation begins. Nobody heat treats bearings, they do it themselves from use. For me just another day in the mechanic room to see what will come in next. Smiles, MH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.