Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

rethreading fork

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 09:40 PM
xiamsammyx
Harbinger

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rethreading fork

how hard is it to rethread a 1" threaded fork if i were have to cut the steerer tube down.
I'm looking at getting a new fork for my bike my current fork is about 150mm with threading starting around the 125mm mark the one i'm thinking about buying has a 200mm tube with threading starting around 150.
I'm asuming the easier solution is to just get some spacers for the headset but i'm just kind of curious how easy it is to rethread a fork and what methods there are to go about this.
Note- i didnt bother to check sheldons first which i probably should but someone drop me a link to that if he has anything about that since im in the middle of watching the packers get thier asses handed to them by the cowboys and am distracted.
Old 11-29-07, 09:44 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's something that basically any bike shop can do for you, but the average person will lack the tools required. You might also consider upgrading to a threadless headset, if that's your thing.
Old 11-30-07, 11:12 AM
muggs
Human

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, not every bike shop cannot do it. The tools that the bike shops use are basically used for cleaning up damaged threads, not cuttinng new threads in steel. I encountered the same problem when I bought a fork from NYC bikes and they sent the inncorrect size. it was no threaded enough so I had to get the threads exteded about an inch and a half. Went to 6 or 7 bike shops and no one could do it. Look up a local bike builder and they will have the tools for cutting new threads. I am in San Diego and Joe Bell did it for me for $40.
Old 11-30-07, 11:56 AM
xiamsammyx
Harbinger

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally dont consider threadless an upgrade so i wont be going that way. i might just see if i can make it work how it is.
Old 11-30-07, 02:48 PM
Legalize It
Brakeless

Bikes: Brew, Felt TK2, Masi Coltello, and Unknown French Frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to cut down a threaded for of mine too.

It was suggested by a frame manufacturer here in the bay that instead of getting it cut and rethreaded that we cut the steerer tube and remove the unescessary metal and use the exess to reweld the threaded piece back onto the fork. So basically creating a sleeve inside of the tube. He didnt want to rethread because the thread die are meant to CHASE threads not start new ones,
Old 11-30-07, 07:30 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just call some LBSs, one of them will be able to add new threads to your fork. I had to get a fork cut and have new threads added for my girl's bike. One shop couldn't do it, I asked around and found a shop that cut and threaded the fork for $25.00.