Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My wheels look like crap

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My wheels look like crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 05:09 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My wheels look like crap

Rehabing on old bike with Araya alloy wheels. Wheels are nice and straight, and bearings/cones in like new condition, but the wheels themselves look like crap. Apparently the coating (anodizing?) is wearing off in different degrees around the wheels so in some places shiny, others dull, and the rest in between. I think I could polish them with compound to get a more consistently shiny surface. Any suggestions or methods or products to make them look more presentable? Thanks
Old 03-05-14, 06:08 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
You can tear them down, remove the clear anodizing with oven cleaner, then polish them with aluminum polish.
I would then reassemble, and they should oxidize gradually and more evenly after that.

(Compound will not remove anodizing)
Old 03-05-14, 06:17 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've done that, and it's a ton of work with nice results. However, I ended up buying new nipples and rim strips. Probably 30 hours of labor. Good therapy, but I wouldn't do it again.
Old 03-05-14, 06:29 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
By tear them down do you mean...

Originally Posted by auchencrow
You can tear them down, remove the clear anodizing with oven cleaner, then polish them with aluminum polish.
I would then reassemble, and they should oxidize gradually and more evenly after that.

(Compound will not remove anodizing)
....removing spokes? if so, I'm assuming that oven cleaner would attack anodizing on the spokes?

"I've done that, and it's a ton of work with nice results. However, I ended up buying new nipples and rim strips. Probably 30 hours of labor. Good therapy, but I wouldn't do it again"

Not something I really want to do either.

Was hoping for an easier fix like maybe rubbing wheels with 0000 steel wool impregnated with the aforementioned polishing compound.

What do you think?
Old 03-05-14, 06:57 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
ive used 0000 steal wool on some alloy hybrid rims, it definately evens out the oxidation... doesn't take it away, just dulls it alot... it willl pass the 5ft rule..
Old 03-05-14, 07:14 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Not the best of photos, but gives you some idea of the problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WH1.jpg (92.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 03-05-14, 08:07 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Well, you don't have eyelets in those rims, so I would just go after them with a rag wrapped around your index finger and some Mothers. Still lots of work. I like working on bikes, but dread polishing rims. Having them disassembled like Auchencrow suggests makes it so much easier.
Old 03-05-14, 08:21 AM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone through this on several wheelsets and the fact that you don't have eyelets would make me favor unbuilding the wheels, removing the anodizing with oven cleaner and polishing. I've tried taking the easy way out and working around spokes and it is tedious and hard to get even. You just can't get in close to the spoke nipple easily. If you are good and quick at building wheels, the re-building will be the hard part. I could strip and polish rims without eyelets in about an hour. Rims with eyelets? Never again!!
Old 03-05-14, 08:47 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
First you should determine if they are actually anodized or just dulled aluminum. Rubbing a spot with a rag and some metal polish will make the rag black if not anodized (and the rubbed spot will quickly come up shiny). If not anodized, you can easily polish the rims with some elbow grease and metal polish.

Whether anodized or not, I like to clean the braking surface (only the braking surface) with Brillo soap pad and water, using long strokes following around rim, then rinse with clear water and dry with a rag. It shines and smooths the scratches somewhat, removes grime, and cleans the tires a bit in the process.

In some cases, the best remedy for tired looking rims has been to buy some (new old stock) rims and spokes and have a respoking day.
Old 03-05-14, 09:02 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could just give them to me =)
Old 03-05-14, 09:39 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
....removing spokes? if so, I'm assuming that oven cleaner would attack anodizing on the spokes? ......
Anodizing is a process used on aluminum.
Spokes are steel, either stainless or plated. If plated, you're probably stuck with ugly spokes.
Old 03-05-14, 01:37 PM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I stink at wheel building so

"First you should determine if they are actually anodized or just dulled aluminum. Rubbing a spot with a rag and some metal polish will make the rag black if not anodized (and the rubbed spot will quickly come up shiny)"

Gonna try this and see what happens.....will let you know the results. Thanks all for suggestions.
Old 03-05-14, 02:21 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
your definition of looking like crap differs from mine.
Old 03-07-14, 05:12 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
it worked!

Tried some aluminum polish I had laying around and that did the trick. Rag came away blackened and the wheel shines. Difference is amazing.

I'll post a photo when done. Based on the sample sections I did last night, it shoudln't take more than 45 minutes to get them cleaned up.
Old 03-07-14, 06:30 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
Tried some aluminum polish I had laying around and that did the trick. Rag came away blackened and the wheel shines. Difference is amazing.

I'll post a photo when done. Based on the sample sections I did last night, it shoudln't take more than 45 minutes to get them cleaned up.
Good on you Okane!
-If the polish is working then certainly they were not anodized -( though I still might be tempted to rebuild the wheels - probably with new spokes and nipples for an even more thorough face-lift. )
Old 03-07-14, 06:43 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
It's good to know you are excited about the cleaning process. I have to work up to it anymore. I really enjoy the mechanics of bicycling and have accepted the cleaning process as a neccessary evil. I getting tired of the battle. For this process, I like to use my bare skin. For some reason it works really well faster and you can feel when you are covering the joints around the spokes. Makes a mess of your fingers but it does wash off. I like to go around the whole rim and then do the "shoe shine" approach with a clean rag to polish. Final polish is attacking the spoke area and valve stem.
Old 03-07-14, 08:12 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Go to the hardware / paint store, get a couple of wood paint stirrer sticks, glue some wool felt pads to 8" of the ends of the sticks, use Mothers Polish, It's way faster and a lot easier on your fingers to get them to really shine.
Old 03-10-14, 06:04 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wheels finally done

And they look pretty good. Took about 35 minutes per wheel + a few extra to do the rim sides (with Brillo as suggested. Bearings are back in hubs, new skins, and wheels installed. Would have shown completed set up on bike but didn't feel like carrying it thru 2 feet of snow to be photographed. Tried to take pics in the basement but lighting too poor and flash added too many weird reflections.

The comparison pic #2 shows the difference even with some water spots I hadn't yet wiped off. The first photo shows done/undone wheel sections.

Not the most enjoyable job in the world but you do get almost instant gratification. No question best way would be to remove spokes but I am a terrible wheel builder so I decided to do it the "easy" way.

Started out with some very old Eagle One aluminum polish and finished with a fresh can of Mothers.

Overall not a terrible way to spend some time while recooperating from back surgery. Thanks for alll the tips.
Attached Images
WHCMP2.jpg (101.4 KB, 21 views)
com.JPG (76.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by okane; 03-10-14 at 06:11 AM.