Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I just can't win for losing! More broken bones!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 06:17 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts

I had just finished up a wonderful gravel ride that was so very satisfying. I was running thoughts through my head about how wonderful it was to be back on bike with the attitude I had in my youth. No racing worries or competition...just simple fun riding and enjoying the outdoors. I wheeled my bike into the house and leashed the dogs up to take them outside. Waling out door I lost balance and fell off porch! My rib took the full impact of the concrete and now I am sitting here after x-rays with rib 4 through 8 broken and rib seven offset!!!!!!!!!!! Painful ad frustrating!!!! Here my wife was worried about me riding again and it was the trip out my door that did me in!!!!! I am flat out Frustrated over my mishap! Sheesh...I cant win for losing!
From this wonderful relaxing pic to disaster and locked up in house with no ability to ride at moment!!!!!
Has anyone had multiple broken ribs and how long before you were able to get back on bike?
rdf37

Likes For rdf37:
Old 04-25-24, 06:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
That's a nice blue color.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-25-24, 06:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 829 Posts
Oh, man...that's terrible! Fourteen years ago I was off the bike for a year with a different injury (not broken bones or ribs), and it was tough, but it gave me extra motivation to get back in shape and ride...a motivation I still call on occasionally to get me out riding.

Hoping for the best, and wishing you a speedy (and faster) recovery.
Old 04-25-24, 06:42 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I’ve broken multiple ribs, they take a few weeks to heal but for mine there was no medical intervention and just “if that hurts, don’t do that.” But I don’t think mine were displaced much at all. I was off the bike a month, but also had broken clavicle and associated surgery.
Old 04-25-24, 08:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 822 Posts
Nice bike. No specific ideas, but replacements to occupy the time are needed. I’ve been laid up numerous times for months. I found any kind of light exercise that is doable is worth doing. Once I would get mobile enough, I would start doing any bike maintenance that I could do without harm to self.
I still missed the rides, but in a way that I did not lament it, but realizing and pondering how much I would enjoy it upon returning. With the right attitude, being off the bikes has plusses, along with the downside.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-25-24, 08:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
I've broken ribs and cracked a sternum racing motorcycles, playing football, and so on. Both usually heal on their own if not displaced much. Mine did. I still rode a bike, but laid off of contact sports with mine, but I was young and reckless. These days at age 73, I might stay off of my mtb with the same injuries, but might still ride on a mup or smooth road.

I figured that it was best to remain at least somewhat active. Not all rib fractures are the same though. Also some folks are more cautious than others. Also yours sound like more ribs involved. Also not sure what you mean by offset. That sounds more serious than just cracked. I assume it is displaced.

Edit to add: Listen to your doctor, but if possible have doctors with some idea of what you do. I try to have doctors who are knowledgeable on the sports I participate in or better yet are also participants themselves. Not always possible but it avoids some naive advice that some docs give when that have no idea about your sport.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-25-24 at 09:07 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-25-24, 08:42 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
So sorry! Nothing is more painful than broken ribs.
Old 04-25-24, 08:58 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 1,822 Posts
Did the dogs participate? My only broken bones were from getting rushed and knocked over by the puppy in my avatar and its sibling.
Old 04-25-24, 09:06 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 456 Posts
Ouch!!

Hopefully you will heal up quickly.

I suspect my own demise will be caused by a trip and fall. Not being morbid, that just seems more probable.

Be careful!!
Old 04-25-24, 09:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,566 Times in 4,221 Posts
Broke 3 ribs and dislocated my clavicle June '21 while riding.
I took a few days off, but ride 40mi 5 days later. It was slower than normal, but doable with an otc pain med.

I rode every 3 to 4 days for the following weeks too. Again, not fast.
Old 04-25-24, 09:12 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,113 Posts
ughhhh

mrs t2p had cracked / broken ribs - full recovery took a number of weeks … couple of months … ?
Old 04-25-24, 09:19 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4835 Post(s)
Liked 3,966 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
I’ve broken multiple ribs, they take a few weeks to heal but for mine there was no medical intervention and just “if that hurts, don’t do that.” But I don’t think mine were displaced much at all. I was off the bike a month, but also had broken clavicle and associated surgery.
Likewise several times but no surgery (other than a hole drilled so my lung could re-inflate). I was basically told every time that pain would be my road block, not re-injuring the ribs. (Plus a very minor crash would be a full 10 on the pain scale. Those who have not broken ribs or given birth probably don't know what a 10 looks like. And no, not all broken ribs are 10s.) Displacement of ribs is new to me so maybe I've just been lucky. (Well, maybe not. That first one, with it's collapsed lung and wrecked shoulder - I saw full 9s through massive amounts of opiates. And when the ambulance crew picked me up by the shoulders to put me on the hard board - well, TG I was still in post crash shock.)

My third time, I kept my mouth shut re: the ribs. Had my shoulder X-rayed and went to an orthopedic surgeon. After the follow-up two weeks later, I was walking out when the surgeon mentioned my broken ribs. Uh? I asked him how he knew. "Well, you told the nurse it hurt to breath." I told him your line of "they take a few weeks to heal but ... there was no medical intervention and just 'if that hurts, don’t do that'." Surgeon, "Yup!" And laughed. He was a sports medicine guy. Totally got it.
Old 04-25-24, 09:44 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 447 Posts
Bummer !
still, looked like a great ride! put the trainer out in the yard and keep the legs in motion...
last time I broke ribs, I was about 62 ish ? 3 ribs, one slightly displaced...
I waited about 15 days before riding again... hard part was finding something resembling smooth roads here in Santa Barbara County... had frequent 'ouch' tinges during rides... for another 3 weeks or so...
I would recommend staying off bumpy gravel and on-road - now that I think of it, I should have used my Full-Sus mtb for the 1st few weeks of riding....
put the trainer out in the yard and keep the legs in motion...
Hope you heal quickly and well.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-25-24, 09:58 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 505 Posts
Dogs are dangerous. This last weekend I watched a dog rip a lady off her barstool. Lots of blood, backboarded right off the patio of the brewery.

A friend of mine’s wife broke her humerus when her dog saw something exciting.

So far, mine has only caused me to crash my MTB a time or two.

For the injury, take your time and do what you can. My cracked rib didn’t slow me down, just gave me something to complain about. It was progressively less sore and was fine in about 4 months.

I think yours is worse than mine. You’ll probably need enough time off the bike to get over the initial pain and then start back really slow and on pretty chill rides. Gravel actually sounds perfect for that.
Old 04-25-24, 10:35 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3493 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Personally speaking, comparing ribs, clavicle, and hip (4 pieces), I'd give hip the title of most painful.

Ribs: 4-6 weeks until riding is comfortable.

Old 04-25-24, 01:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,935 Posts
big bummer indeed!

the less you aggravate the broken ribs the better. Ya dont want to poke a lung. As for healing time, that will vary depending on age, nutrition, & how active you tend to be.
have you had a dual energy x-ray absorptiometry [D.E.X.A.] scan done? Some may refer to it as a bone mass measurement.
Old 04-25-24, 05:04 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 654 Posts
Get well soon. I have had one broken knee many years ago. Also i had fallen following back in january in the snow and on road which was not treated with salt in icy conditions .Luckily, I have not broken nothing wrong bug but nowadays I am being extremely careful . I am always checking the weather before riding the weather, I have banned riding in winter conditions and especially in snow and in ice condition
Old 04-25-24, 07:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 1,782 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by rdf37
I had just finished up a wonderful gravel ride that was so very satisfying. I was running thoughts through my head about how wonderful it was to be back on bike with the attitude I had in my youth. No racing worries or competition...just simple fun riding and enjoying the outdoors. I wheeled my bike into the house and leashed the dogs up to take them outside. Waling out door I lost balance and fell off porch! My rib took the full impact of the concrete and now I am sitting here after x-rays with rib 4 through 8 broken and rib seven offset!!!!!!!!!!! Painful ad frustrating!!!! Here my wife was worried about me riding again and it was the trip out my door that did me in!!!!! I am flat out Frustrated over my mishap! Sheesh...I cant win for losing!
From this wonderful relaxing pic to disaster and locked up in house with no ability to ride at moment!!!!!
Has anyone had multiple broken ribs and how long before you were able to get back on bike?
rdf37
Yikes, ribs are the worse. You realize every muscle in the body links back to it. I broke 5 ribs once it took me about 9 weeks to feel somewhat normal, the soft tissue bruising on top of the rib was absolutely miserable. The ribs themselves eventually, maybe 3 or 4 weeks, felt ok enough to where I could actually sleep in a bed. Up until then I was sleeping in a recliner, and I would not really call it sleeping, it was more like cat naps. I got a back brace that kept my body from moving or bending so that helped a lot to eliminate causing pain, and I do not like taking pain meds, but I had to on this for about a week until the swelling subsided and relieved pressure off my upper chest area.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-25-24 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-24, 08:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,729 Times in 2,953 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Heal quickly and get back to the good times.

Old 04-26-24, 03:55 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I'm guessing that not all rib injuries are equal.

For me broken ribs - along with a broken collar bone and shoulder - I was back on the bike in a couple of weeks. On the trainer even sooner.

Compared to my back pain, cracked facet joint with a root nerve pinched in the crack - vomiting, sweating, crying, laying on the floor trying not to die - that was a 10, the ribs in comparison were a solid 4.

Dogs - my lab got excited and drug me out of our camper - I landed on the corner of the metal folding steps ribs first - that was an ouchie.
Old 04-28-24, 09:59 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
I do appreciate all the words of encouragement. Going to do what I can to keep moving and have some smalls goal set while I recover.
1. clean dirty bike
2. Get wife’s bike back to “new” condition
3. Map outt some new routes
4. Get area of garage to be bike repair specific
5. Get some new bike apparel
All of course only when I am physically capable
rdf37
Likes For rdf37:
Old 05-01-24, 02:04 PM
pambam

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh poor you! Sorry to hear it. Glad you have some goals. Add doing your physical therapy to the list.