Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome forks and the foil trick

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 03:51 AM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts

I think the pics speak for themselves.

Old 08-26-18, 04:35 AM
Jesse B 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 UO-8, '77 Peugeot PX10, '89 Peugeot Triathlon, '03 Cannondale R3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks great! What is the foil trick?
Old 08-26-18, 04:43 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Get a piece of aluminum foil wet and rub the rusted chrome. The oxidized chrome gives up its oxygen atom to the aluminum and created aluminum oxide which helps shine the chrome... so no rust and shiny chrome with no chemicals.
Old 08-26-18, 06:09 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 191 Posts
All this time I though the FOIL trick was only good for multiplying binomials!
Did you wax over the chrome when you were done? I don't know if that does any good, but I always do.
Old 08-26-18, 12:53 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 282 Posts
And I wet with WD40 instead of water.
-John
Old 08-26-18, 01:21 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
And I wet with WD40 instead of water.
-John
Tinfoil...It's not only for baking cookies and making hats.
Old 08-26-18, 01:34 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Aluminum foil is also good for smoothing and cleaning old cables and oxidized spokes. It works well when cleaning eyelets on unbuilt rims. I even use it to polish a bearing cup, when I feel the need to do so...
Old 08-26-18, 05:59 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904
Get a piece of aluminum foil wet and rub the rusted chrome. The oxidized chrome gives up its oxygen atom to the aluminum and created aluminum oxide which helps shine the chrome... so no rust and shiny chrome with no chemicals.
Is that what you think it is or is that what you know it is going on?

My hypothesis -
The iron beneath the plating rusts and opens pits (pitting). The rust protrudes from the pits. Scraping with foil mechanically abrades the rust and deposits aluminum onto the rust, thereby coating the rust. The pit is still there. The rust might still be there (under the aluminum). The eye is not sensitive enough to discern the reflectance difference between small dots of aluminum against a large field of chrome plating.
Old 08-26-18, 06:33 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
My hypothesis: it's simpler than that. Aluminum foil balled up removes the iron oxide, simple abrasion. Oxidized chrome is chromium oxide, which is transparent, not reddish like the ferrous oxide. Chromium when exposed to air naturally creates this oxide (passively), which protects the steel from rusting; in fact it is this passivation that makes stainless steel "stainless" -- it has enough chromium in it to make a microscopic layer of chromium oxide on the surface which, absent abrasion and embedment of foreign material (salt, ferrous oxide) prevents rusting of the steel. Disturb that microscopic layer, and stainless steel rusts just as badly as carbon steel, or even moreso.
Old 08-27-18, 04:22 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Recently I cleaned my bike which has a lot of stainless steel on it, it's not chrome plated. This was my first real bike clean but I had used alu foil on small parts before, this time I used a steel spunge and a Vim type cream cleaner together, because it wasn't just about the rust but there was a lot of other dirt too. The nice thing about steel spunges is that you can pull them apart into a steel rope and pull it back an forth around tubes and rims, between te spokes. I was very happy about the result and it didn't strike me as very different from the result with alu foil. Maybe there was aluminium in the steel spunge, I bought them in a Chinese supermarket so I couldn't read the label. Maybe stainless steal is just a great material that doesn't scratch when it's cleaned with an abrasive?

Anyway, I'll try if it gets any better with alu foil and let you know.
Old 08-27-18, 04:28 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Is that what you think it is or is that what you know it is going on?
Well, it was my best guess from taking college chemistry.

i found an article that kinda backs it up.
https://www.robertscycle.com/cleaning-chrome-info.html
Old 08-27-18, 04:41 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
It is interesting to consider how the foil thing works, but it is really not important, in my mind. I only know that it work and works really well. Abrasion, sure and no one likes to scuff up chrome plating, but is that what is really happening..?

Yes and no. Yes if the plating is unblemished due to the impact of the environmental issues over time. That would prove damaging to the chrome. But to use foil on a fifty year old surface, that has suffered the whims of time passing, it is not scuffing. It is removing oxidized material. Try this little test...

On a piece of oxidized chrome, that looks like this...

tale the time to clean the oxidized mess off with conventional means (soap and water, to remove as much grit as possible, then cleaning wax coupled with plastic scrubb pads, to remove oxidized material and things start to look good but do they feel good? Probably not as you will find that the oxidized chrome did not all come off (slide your finger over the surface and feel the roughness). But if you rub the area with foil, those little rough spots disappear, just like that and it looks like this...
Old 08-27-18, 07:39 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904
I wonder if that's the difference between success and failure. I tried this a few years ago using dry foil... It deposited lots of foil, that was obvious, but I don't think it filled the pits well, or improved the look much I was very disappointed witb the results and decided after multiple attempts, that either I was expecting too much, or it was like those vinyl repair kits sold on TV- not actually possible in the real world...
Later tonight, I'll give it a try.