Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 07:32 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10

HOTTT

Dang, this bike is one of the hottest unique looking bikes simply due to the splash of colors. Well done, should be an awesome blur when you're racing.
Old 02-12-14, 08:26 AM
MajorMantra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot!

I really like some of the more garish Specialized paint jobs.

Only small change I would suggest would be running a 6 degree stem and a shorter headset top cap. You'd get the same bar height and it would be slightly more visually balanced.
Old 02-12-14, 08:46 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
Old 02-12-14, 08:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Come on - don't follow up the Allez with a stock photo...
Old 02-12-14, 09:05 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
My probably eternal quest for an Alfa frame set has begun.
Old 02-12-14, 09:45 AM
Gramin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
My probably eternal quest for an Alfa frame set has begun.
Good for you... but since that ain't your bike, and it's a stock photo, you're posting in the wrong thread.
Old 02-12-14, 10:05 AM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramin
Good for you... but since that ain't your bike, and it's a stock photo, you're posting in the wrong thread.
All that aside it's still a not.
Old 02-12-14, 10:19 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13727 Post(s)
Liked 4,538 Times in 2,513 Posts
Alfa bike. Not hot.
Old 02-12-14, 11:12 AM
Gramin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20
All that aside it's still a not.
True dat
Old 02-12-14, 11:32 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
That is a spectacularly ugly frame (the Alfa). What were they thinking with the top-tube? Its like they put the big triangle together upside down....

The Specialized is definitely hot and NOT SUBTLE, which makes it more awesome.
Old 02-12-14, 11:53 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

Not.

Cut the steer tube and the colors don't really do it for me, but what kills it is the depth of the wheels.
Old 02-12-14, 01:06 PM
edChoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member here, so be gentle ha. Been reading for a while gaining tons of info.

Pretty happy with everything about the bike right now except the crappy saddle, weight is at 16.5 lb with the training wheels. Went with the digital blue pro4s because the light blue and red is a well used combination of my home country.

Have a slight dilemma that I found a saddle that is immensely comfortable for me but it is a white saddle, my old antares00 is thrashed, it's killing me to have to put white on a bike with absolutely no white on it.

Last edited by edChoi; 02-12-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 01:20 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be hot with some minor work. Lose the colored tires, slam the stem, and get an all black bar tape.
Old 02-12-14, 01:27 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by edChoi
New member here, so be gentle ha. Been reading for a while gaining tons of info.

Pretty happy with everything about the bike right now except the crappy saddle, weight is at 16.5 lb with the training wheels. Went with the digital blue pro4s because the light blue and red is a well used combination of my home country.

Have a slight dilemma that I found a saddle that is immensely comfortable for me but it is a white saddle, my old antares00 is thrashed, it's killing me to have to put white on a bike with absolutely no white on it.

I think I like it. This really needs to be better staged though. For instance, I don't know if you noticed, but your camera was angled when you took the photo.
Old 02-12-14, 01:37 PM
edChoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link0
Could be hot with some minor work. Lose the colored tires, slam the stem, and get an all black bar tape.
Appreciate the advice, have an ergonova team bar on the way so with the shorter drop will definitely be dropping the stem. All my past cars have been black or matte black with red accents so I guess I'm using bikes as my way to to mix things up just a little. Yeah somedays I love the blue some days I hate it, will just have to burn through them before getting a normal set of tires.

Originally Posted by RPK79
I think I like it. This really needs to be better staged though. For instance, I don't know if you noticed, but your camera was angled when you took the photo.
lol, I missed the first post talking about the staging to-dos. Took this with my cellphone right after first 60mi ride in the cold and was too lazy to walk backwards haha. No wonder my picture looks so off compared to the thousands of others.

I'm really dreading having to possibly goto white bar tape to match the new saddle, going to start with a white ergonova team bar and hopefully that will be enough white to not throw things off to badly. We will see.

Last edited by edChoi; 02-12-14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 01:40 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not too fond of the blue tires either...but I think the frame colors and silver Thomson bits are a nice change of pace around here.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 02-12-14, 02:04 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alpha mos def not!

Fuji has potential, burn through those tires faster!

Originally Posted by RJM
Not.

Cut the steer tube and the colors don't really do it for me, but what kills it is the depth of the wheels.
But it does work as a Crit bike...
Old 02-12-14, 02:34 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
The Allez is definitely hot- crazy how much just the brakes set off the colors on the frame/fork, the Red shifters help as well. It'd be interesting to see what impact the colored cables have in person since they get kind of lost (for me) in the photos.
Old 02-12-14, 02:46 PM
bahula03

On the initial glance, it looked good...but the more I look at it, the less I like it The stem and seat post only match each other, the tape kinda plays with the cranks, but the cranks don't play with anything else, and the lone bottle cage is...what color? The tires would probably be better off with plain black. I know what color the tires are because I have them on my bike, but your photo makes them look almost sea foam green, which is even weirder

As with so many, nice bike...but not hot.
Old 02-12-14, 03:16 PM
kcollier5

Bikes: Felt F2

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
^ I actually like this bike. But the colored tires are… huh? You bought a nice bike and outfitted it with some nice gear, but oh, wait! They've got a clearance on blue tires!! But, there isn't any blue on your bike? But they're on clearance! They are free! <- That's the only reason I can see installing THOSE tires on THAT bike. Also not crazy about the bar tape. Sometimes less really is more. But could be a hot bike.

As to the Allez? We saw a few of those back to back some months ago on this thread and that frame is certainly hot. I for one, don't like the negative angled stem, especially compared with the sloping top tube. Just looks weird. Fix that and it's smoking hot!
Old 02-12-14, 03:21 PM
edChoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
On the initial glance, it looked good...but the more I look at it, the less I like it The stem and seat post only match each other, the tape kinda plays with the cranks, but the cranks don't play with anything else, and the lone bottle cage is...what color? The tires would probably be better off with plain black. I know what color the tires are because I have them on my bike, but your photo makes them look almost sea foam green, which is even weirder

As with so many, nice bike...but not hot.
I hear exactly where you are coming from, agree with everything. The cage is an old silver carbon fiber elite cage, lost the matching one. Regarding matching the thomson stuff, i have a dura ace 9000 crank coming to match those components. This rotor crank that came with the bike's crankarms were too short to begin with.

I went with the tire color that I did 1) to experiment but 2) my sworks prevail helmet and giro empires are all blue.

I've done the black and red scheme with all my cars so I am bored to death of a car with blacks and reds all matched up.

For example my last track build: Gloss black then matte black paint, red accents, polished lip with gloss black wheels (street and track wheels)

(Edit: pic removed because car pics are a nono on a cycling forum, fair enough.)

But its going to get weird because the saddle that fits me best is a white romin pro. To give the bike some more white I ordered a white ergonova bar, and fear that white bar tape will have to join. Soon enough the tires will have to either be black or maybe get silver sidewalled pro4s..

Bottom line for the sake of function(saddle and bar) this bike will never be aesthetically where I want it to be. Oh well.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, your thoughts mirror my love hate relationship with its looks. Back to the DRAWING BOARD!!

Originally Posted by kcollier5
^ I actually like this bike. But the colored tires are… huh? You bought a nice bike and outfitted it with some nice gear, but oh, wait! They've got a clearance on blue tires!! But, there isn't any blue on your bike? But they're on clearance! They are free! <- That's the only reason I can see installing THOSE tires on THAT bike. Also not crazy about the bar tape. Sometimes less really is more. But could be a hot bike.
I hear you, just tried something different. If they were cheap I would just disregard them, but paying a decent penny for them makes them tough to just rip off out of principle.

Last edited by edChoi; 02-12-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 04:29 PM
kreeess

Bikes: 12' Supersix 105 / some fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you, just tried something different. If they were cheap I would just disregard them, but paying a decent penny for them makes them tough to just rip off out of principle.

you have a "track" Porsche you play around with, i'm sure you can easily replace those tires without denting your wallet.
Old 02-12-14, 05:11 PM
bahula03

Originally Posted by kreeess
you have a "track" Porsche you play around with, i'm sure you can easily replace those tires without denting your wallet.
Shows what you know about P car ownership
Old 02-12-14, 05:22 PM
edChoi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kreeess
80 dollars is 80 dollars.

Originally Posted by bahula03
Shows what you know about P car ownership
LOL! I agree entirely. The Fuji of P perhaps? a side note, for 80% of the track going population (myself included) the mid engined platform is far easier to extract speed through cornering than a gt3.

Hope this isnt derailing this thread.
Old 02-12-14, 05:23 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allez, super me ga duper hot!

Fuji, might not be as hot as the Allez but it definitely is super interesting and I'd love to ride something like that. Looks awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.