Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

City in Texas requires $50.00 rally for groups of 10 or more cyclists.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-04-10, 10:35 AM
carmonkie
Guads of Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So is this going to become the norm or is this a dumb idea on the part of the city as cyclists will just ride around it.

Full article below:
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39002032
Old 09-04-10, 10:38 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
or just break apart into smaller groups when they get near by.
Old 09-04-10, 10:39 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh no! Passing cars have to use the oncoming lane to execute a pass.

The Horror!!!!

-----------

cyclists will just ride around it
Duh... that's what they WANT to happen.

Personally, I'd say screw 'em and let them try to figure out how to pull over 30 cyclists at once.
Old 09-04-10, 10:41 AM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything is bigger in Texas.
Old 09-04-10, 10:43 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Do you get the impression that local government is full of little nitwits?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 09-04-10, 10:47 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
Everything is bigger in Texas.
Beat me to it. That was the big joke when I was a kid (growing up in Wisconsin). Kind of a "that's what she said" type of rejoinder.
Old 09-04-10, 10:55 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So they ticket the whole group?

I like this approach. When your police aren't competent enough to ticket people for the actual violations, find an easier way to ticket them.

Nice.
Old 09-04-10, 11:01 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is ridiculous, but at the same time I know of many groups that ride like complete a-holes. Such as riding across the entire lane, not caring if there are cars trying to pass, blowing through lights like they don't exist, etc. I guess the answer is to ticket/warn the one guy on the outside riding 3 abreast and not yielding, or the ones running a light.

Last edited by teterider; 09-04-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 11:01 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS

Personally, I'd say screw 'em and let them try to figure out how to pull over 30 cyclists at once.
that happened on a ride here. they passed a stupid law saying that if a bike lane/path is available cyclists HAVE to use it. A cop stopped a group, realized it had over 75 riders then said screw it and let them go.
Old 09-04-10, 11:10 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IF you get one of them there permits, do you get to blow the stop sign?
Old 09-04-10, 11:29 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Do you get the impression that the federal government is full of little nitwits?
fify
Old 09-04-10, 11:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
When your police aren't competent enough
I'm going to hire a few peletons of a dozen cyclists each, to ride in this town. While the police are busy giving people tickets for being in the wrong kind of vehicle, I'm going to rob every bank and jewelry store in town.
Old 09-04-10, 11:48 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 09-04-10, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
So what happens if I get a group of friends together, and there are five of us in all, but then we're out on a sunny day, and luck has us on the same street with five other cyclists enjoying a bike ride? How would a passerby know it's two groups, and not an illegal one?

I gotta say, though, if Seattle passed a law like this for cars, I-5 would be usable again.
Old 09-04-10, 12:20 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I like it. Especially if it also applies to any grouping of 10 or more cars. Like at any store.
Old 09-04-10, 12:23 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayor Robertson
"The large groups were coming in, and they were not abiding the state law," Mayor Rob Robertson said. "They were riding three and four abreast, they wouldn't move over for traffic, they were blowing the stop signs and, basically, the back of City Hall turned into a restroom facility for them."
I don't understand why the city doesn't just issue citations to those cyclists who break the law.

This is a perfect example of why we cyclists should strive to be courteous to others -- I betcha if these idiots weren't breaking the law and pissing on city hall (literally), there wouldn't be a problem
Old 09-04-10, 01:08 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It might be a secret plan to get more people to become runners. My son faced some stiff competition from runners in that area.
Old 09-04-10, 01:45 PM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The large groups were coming in, and they were not abiding the state law," Mayor Rob Robertson said. "They were riding three and four abreast, they wouldn't move over for traffic, they were blowing the stop signs and, basically, the back of City Hall turned into a restroom facility for them."

:
Sounds like Tejas, alright.
Old 09-04-10, 02:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Now let's be nice. Just because they have room temperature IQ's due to generations of inbreeding is no need to call them names.

Originally Posted by RNAV
I don't understand why the city doesn't just issue citations to anyone who breaks the law.
Fify.

Originally Posted by RNAV
This is a perfect example of why we cyclists should strive to be courteous to others -- I betcha if these idiots weren't breaking the law and pissing on city hall (literally), there wouldn't be a problem
So they solve the problem of unenforced laws by passing more laws? I guess it makes sense when you think about who's making the decisions.

The curious thing is why do they have a problem with cyclists pissing on city hall? I've never even heard of such nonsense but I could be a participant if the local laws were dumb enough.
Old 09-04-10, 02:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
"The roads in the small town 10 miles from Lewisville are very narrow, contributing to the problem. A car behind cyclists who don't move to the side of the road can only pass them by using the oncoming traffic lane."
Let's say 10 or 20 cyclists ride through town, keeping 100 yards apart. They obey all traffic rules, and stop, put both feet down, and look both ways at stop signs before continuing. I'm sure the car drivers would like that even less.
Old 09-04-10, 02:24 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
"The roads in the small town 10 miles from Lewisville are very narrow, contributing to the problem. A car behind cyclists who don't move to the side of the road can only pass them by using the oncoming traffic lane."
Let's say 10 or 20 cyclists ride through town, keeping 100 yards apart. They obey all traffic rules, and stop, put both feet down, and look both ways at stop signs before continuing. I'm sure the car drivers would like that even less.
I've been trying to get a group here to do that as a protest in a town that has been citing cyclists for EVERYTHING possible, including speeding.
Old 09-04-10, 02:36 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Just because they have room temperature IQ's due to generations of inbreeding is no need to call them names.
I'm in that group. Am I a nitwit?
Please use a smaller paint brush.

It sounds like the City tried to get them to be more cooperative. But the cyclists did what cyclists do. So hello ordinance!
And with a complete lack of input from any cyclist group, the ordinance is going to favor the public.
If this were to happen in my town, I'd make sure I was in on those meetings.

We've all seen group rides that are out of control. What would YOU do to control them?
Old 09-04-10, 02:54 PM
Brightwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I'm in that group. Am I a nitwit?
Please use a smaller paint brush.

It sounds like the City tried to get them to be more cooperative. But the cyclists did what cyclists do. So hello ordinance!
And with a complete lack of input from any cyclist group, the ordinance is going to favor the public.

We've all seen group rides that are out of control.
What would YOU do to control them?
The same thing they do with car drivers - stop specific people(or groups) for specific problems/violations.
Old 09-04-10, 03:40 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

We've all seen group rides that are out of control. What would YOU do to control them?
Issue citations for the specific vehicle code violations that are already being broken. That's what several local towns in our area do and word spreads pretty quickly about where you have to be especially careful about stop signs, lights, etc.
Old 09-04-10, 03:40 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
That is not what cyclists do. I'm sure we have far more cyclists in my neck of the woods than they have in Bartonville, and problems like urination on City Hall are nonexistent. Hell, most rides that have more cyclists than the entire population of Bartonville don't have these problems.

Maybe there's something special about cyclists when they enter Bartonville that makes them act so differently from cyclists elsewhere, but I doubt it. How many friggin' cyclists could there possibly be out there anyway?

...We've all seen group rides that are out of control. What would YOU do to control them?
You can talk to the organizers or call the cops if you don't want to deal directly with the offenders. Well run rides have few (if any) problems.

I'm trying to remember when I've EVER been on the roads and I didn't see multiple drivers breaking the law (typically speeding or running stop signs, but it could be other things). I'm happy that Bartonville has licked that problem and can turn their sights on the hordes of cyclists terrorizing a community of about 1,600 in the middle of nowhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.