Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling/Racing in Mexico?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 08:09 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I'm heading to Mexico for the summer and really want to bring my bike. Three months with no cycling would really suck. I'll be in San Miguel de Allende, which from what I have been told and read, is a pretty nice place (they have a pretty decent bike shop there too).

Has anyone done any serious cycling in Mexico? I'm trying to figure out how much paved roads ill be able to find and how much cobbles/dirt I'll be riding on. I was thinking of just bringing my back up 32-hole clinchers and getting some Gatorskins and ridin the hell out of 'em.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated!
Old 04-07-11, 10:14 PM
kabex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been to Guanajuato(the state of san miguel) but roads aren't that bad in Mexico and all of them are paved and mostly nice. The only unpaved roads you'll find are those going to really small towns.

For reference, I've never flatted on the roads in Mexico and I have the crappiest no-name tyres you could think of.

Don't know about the bike shop but the grand majority of bike shops in Mexico are 100% MTB, roadies are non-existent and you'll get little to no road bike service. I live in the 5th biggest city in the country and there's only one real roadie bike shop.
Old 04-07-11, 10:26 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kabex
I haven't been to Guanajuato(the state of san miguel) but roads aren't that bad in Mexico and all of them are paved and mostly nice. The only unpaved roads you'll find are those going to really small towns.

For reference, I've never flatted on the roads in Mexico and I have the crappiest no-name tyres you could think of.

Don't know about the bike shop but the grand majority of bike shops in Mexico are 100% MTB, roadies are non-existent and you'll get little to no road bike service. I live in the 5th biggest city in the country and there's only one real roadie bike shop.
Wow great thanks for the info, I feel pretty good about bringing my bike down there now.

Do you know of any racing going on anywhere in Mexico?
Old 04-07-11, 10:56 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Ran across this whilst perusing:
https://gingerninjas.com/tour/cycling-in-mexico/
Old 04-07-11, 11:01 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden there but I have visited. Just get used to the old people saying "GET OFF MY LAWN!" seeing as it is like the US and UK's retirement community. Everything should be paved in that area, even as you get out of town. I had to go to Mexico City a couple of years back and I remember the company I was down there for took me there because they thought I might be in to art or something. They have a lot of neat things in regards to art, but I just wanted to see a donkey sh....never mind. Only place I have ridden in Mexico is Cabo, which is one of my favorite places to ride.
Old 04-07-11, 11:16 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only racing you'll find in the entire country is in Mexico city, there's a license/cycling federation, competition, prizes, sponsorships, etc.

There's about 1 big group ride a week, sometimes 2. Many times those group rides are treated as races (ie. prizes/sponsors) but not all the time.
Old 04-07-11, 11:26 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only racing you'll find in the entire country is in Mexico city, there's a license/cycling federation, competition, prizes, sponsorships, etc.

There's about 1 big group ride a week, sometimes 2. Many times those group rides are treated as races (ie. prizes/sponsors) but not all the time.
Yeah, I watched 2 races in the same week without walking more than a half mile from the hotel, that is love!
Old 04-07-11, 11:58 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
There are many drug cartels in Mexico. BEWARE.

Good place for doping though, yes.
Old 04-08-11, 12:09 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.blogdelnarco.com
'nough said.
Old 04-08-11, 12:10 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
There are many drug cartels in Mexico. BEWARE.

Good place for doping though, yes.
Originally Posted by subnoob
There's as much drug cartels in Mexico as in the US, where do you think they sell the drugs, and get the money from?
It's just that here, they're in plain sight. Also, it heavily depends on the area... mostly confided to border towns and some central states.

Mexico is like 5th in Latin-America on murder rates, let alone the world; not that dangerous.

Read this, written by an American:
Is Mexico Safe To Visit? Definitely!
https://www.nirdvana.com/2011/02/25/mexico-safe-visit/

San Miguel de Allende is probably one of the safest cities in Mexico and way better than many US cities, so I'd rather be there 100x than in Detroit for example.
Old 04-08-11, 12:19 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's as much drug cartels in Mexico as in the US, where do you think they sell the drugs, and get the money from?
It's just that here, they're in plain sight. Also, it heavily depends on the area... mostly confided to border towns and some central states.

Mexico is like 5th in Latin-America on murder rates, let alone the world; not that dangerous.

San Miguel de Allende is probably one of the safest cities in Mexico and way better than many US cities, so I'd rather be there 100x than in Detroit for example.
Calm down I'm well aware of the situation in mexico. Born and raised in Durango. 5-3 comandante!
Old 04-08-11, 12:23 AM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to agree. I have been going to Mexico for vacation for many years and never once had a problem. The only touristy place I go is Cabo, otherwise I really enjoy visiting friends that live in the state of Jalisco, home of Tequila!!! Sure, take your chances in Juarez or TJ, but when you get in to the middle states, life is beautiful and everyone is awesome. That is why Mexico is hands down my favorite country to visit. ˇViva la Revolución!
Old 04-08-11, 12:26 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subnoob
Calm down I'm well aware of the situation in mexico. Born and raised in Durango. 5-3 comandante!
After reading so much ignorant "information" regarding Mexico by Americans for the last 12 years, I have no choice.
Sorry.