Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do pro-teams have water bottle sponsors?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 12:09 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After watching riders throw bottles to the side of the road constantly it occurred to me: who is providing all these bottles?
198 riders X 21 stages= allot of water bottles thrown away.
Old 07-10-11, 12:38 AM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Bikes: CAAD10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good question... Got me wondering too. I shall google it.
Old 07-10-11, 12:45 AM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't find anything... Probably they have some sponsor that supplies them...
Old 07-10-11, 12:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuagster
Didn't find anything... Probably they have some sponsor that supplies them...
I doubt it. Just because they can get outfits to give bikes, power meters, pedals, tranny components, etc for free is no reason to assume anyone would want to supply them with bottles.
Old 07-10-11, 01:00 AM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I doubt it. Just because they can get outfits to give bikes, power meters, pedals, tranny components, etc for free is no reason to assume anyone would want to supply them with bottles.
Maybe... Who knows if the team accountant separates a couple thousand dollars of the team budget just for bottles... It would be weird though... Hehe. They can get tens of thousands of dollars in gear for free but have to pay for bottles. This would bring up the food too. What about gels and such, does the team buythem.?
Old 07-10-11, 01:04 AM
hooligancyclist
Riding Off to the Next Adventure, RIP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin has Clif for much of the energy bars and Camelbak for the bottles. I know many teams also have other non-sponsor items they try to not show the camera.
"Well, folks, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a....just a lean, shaven, American winning machine."
Old 07-10-11, 01:09 AM
Waxbytes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would imagine that a pro team with a Specialized sponsorship would get Specialized's bottles included.
Old 07-10-11, 01:35 AM
FatTony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have had a new gym built at work, and instantly a giant cardboard box arrived from one of our suppliers with a few hundred water bottles all bearing their logo. Makes me think they are v cheap for the supplier to get that many.

I think the bottles have no more value than a glass beer or milk bottle.

When I watched a stage of the TDF (working in france) the riders all threw their bottles as they rode into town anticipating a restock in the town.

The locals and in particular the kids were all running round like crazy trying to grab one as a souvenir, from where I was stood it looked like they were plain bottles with no logo though a few were written on with a marker.
This was 4-5 year ago though.
Old 07-10-11, 01:54 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a little off topic but hell on wheels is on netflix instant view right now. its a tdf documentary that mostly follows telekom at the 2004 race. there is one part where some domestique is being handed water for his team and he puts 7 or so bottles into the back of his jersey!! but yeah, there are scenes where the local fans are rushing to grab discarded bottles. watch it. good flick.
Old 07-10-11, 01:59 AM
hooligancyclist
Riding Off to the Next Adventure, RIP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, checking for it now.
Originally Posted by pdxtex
a little off topic but hell on wheels is on netflix instant view right now. its a tdf documentary that mostly follows telekom at the 2004 race. there is one part where some domestique is being handed water for his team and he puts 7 or so bottles into the back of his jersey!! but yeah, there are scenes where the local fans are rushing to grab discarded bottles. watch it. good flick.
"Well, folks, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a....just a lean, shaven, American winning machine."
Old 07-10-11, 02:32 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hooligancyclist
Garmin has Clif for much of the energy bars and Camelbak for the bottles. I know many teams also have other non-sponsor items they try to not show the camera.
Yes I've spotted some riders with Camelbak Podium bottles. Others look to have bottles with team color/logo. Also the size looks small like 10-12oz bottles why not have the 24-26oz ones.

pdxtex
Probably ferrying bottles for teammates
Old 07-10-11, 02:39 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few water bottles are a rounding error in the big scale of things. The trinkets, samples, general advertising crap thrown out by the caravan that leads the riders could fill a landfill every year.

#at=82
The bottles are another blank surface for a logo.
Old 07-10-11, 03:07 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had several hundred bottles from the TOC. They were nearly all made by Specialized, Elite, and Tacx, and printed with whatever sponsor logo the team wanted. I think they are supplied by the teams.
Old 07-10-11, 04:59 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Team Radio Shack has Tacx and Elite as sponsors. They sell a team water bottle in their online shop.
Team BMC has no water bottle sponsor. They do not sell a team water bottle in their online shop.

HTC-High Road has Elite as a sponsor. The link for water bottles pulls up a separate website showing several brands of water bottles, including Elites. Elite makes pro team water bottles for: LiquiGas, Sky, Cervelo, RadioShack, Ag2R, HTC-Columbia-High Road.

Garmin-Cervelo has Camelback as a sponsor but they don't sell any of their stuff in the online shop.

Euskaltel-Euskadi has Elite(Ozone Elite) as a sponsor.
FDJ has no water bottle sponsor.
Movistar has Elite but sells no bottles in their store.
Saxobank-Sungard has Tacx, sells their bottles.
Leopard-Trek has Tacx, but no online shop.

It looks like the same 10-15 companies have sponsorship deals with almost every team.