Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official C&V tandem thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official C&V tandem thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 01:28 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
or do I need to get some really wide bars for the rear?
Yes. I wish I could find a silver, 46-48cm bullhorn with a 25.4mm clamp area.
Old 10-24-12, 01:37 PM
maximus63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any one know any thing about this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JOMARK.jpg (15.6 KB, 252 views)
Old 10-24-12, 01:46 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Yes. I wish I could find a silver, 46-48cm bullhorn with a 25.4mm clamp area.

well now I just gave this another thought....I have narrowed some bars for the Juniors, so I dont see why I cant widen bars for tandems?

need 2 pairs, to do it so there will be only one scarf...

its quite easy to do with a pipe cutter, a lathe to turn the inner sleeve, and a local aluminum tig welders time for 15 minutes.
Old 10-24-12, 01:57 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Interesting, but I can't exactly drive to England to pick it up.

What happened to the drive crank? The arm snapped off?

Ugh yeah missed that.
Old 10-24-12, 06:14 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by maximus63
Any one know any thing about this.
I have not seen one before. Get some detailed photos from the right side and of all the words on the frame. Where was this photo taken?
Old 10-25-12, 03:36 AM
maximus63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I have not seen one before. Get some detailed photos from the right side and of all the words on the frame. Where was this photo taken?
This is in our workshop,
Attached Images
JOMARK 2.JPG (58.8 KB, 242 views)
JOMARK 3.JPG (2.8 KB, 321 views)
Old 10-25-12, 03:41 AM
maximus63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
It is in our Workshop.

Attached Images
JOMARK 2.JPG (58.8 KB, 237 views)
JOMARK 3.JPG (2.8 KB, 322 views)
Old 10-25-12, 03:43 AM
maximus63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
front view

Attached Images
JOMARK 3.JPG (63.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 05-11-15, 05:46 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Reviving this thread. To those of you that have had yours for a while, do you still have the tandem? Do you still have the same stoker? Do you still get along with said stoker?

I've had a tandem for almost 4 years(this bein my second one). The kids and I have had a lot of fun on it. The Mrs. & I were hit n miss for the few rides together as Cap/stoker, so we've opted to ride separate bikes for the last couple years..

[

[
Old 05-11-15, 05:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Reviving this thread. To those of you that have had yours for a while, do you still have the tandem? Do you still have the same stoker? Do you still get along with said stoker?

I've had a tandem for almost 4 years(this bein my second one). The kids and I have had a lot of fun on it. The Mrs. & I were hit n miss for the few rides together as Cap/stoker, so we've opted to ride separate bikes for the last couple years..

[

[
Dig the bike Roger!

We started out about 5 years ago with the Schwinn Triplet. We still own it and we still ride it during the holidays with portable LEDs and holiday music playing. Most of the time it's just me and the wife, but about 1/3rd of the time the middle position rotates among our friends. If you go back 25 years I was the rear stoker, my dad was the captain and my mom was in the middle.

Most of the time we ride the Bilenky which we've had for about three years if memory serves. Me and the wife still commute on it...we ride tandem most of the time when riding together...when we take the dog we ride separately.

My wife just pushed me in to ordering custom stems from hanford cycles because she got tired of hearing me whine about the ugly stems.
Old 05-11-15, 06:05 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Dig the bike Roger!

We started out about 5 years ago with the Schwinn Triplet. We still own it and we still ride it during the holidays with portable LEDs and holiday music playing. Most of the time it's just me and the wife, but about 1/3rd of the time the middle position rotates among our friends. If you go back 25 years I was the rear stoker, my dad was the captain and my mom was in the middle.

Most of the time we ride the Bilenky which we've had for about three years if memory serves. Me and the wife still commute on it...we ride tandem most of the time when riding together...when we take the dog we ride separately.
My wife just pushed me in to ordering custom stems from hanford cycles because she got tired of hearing me whine about the ugly stems.
Thanks Aaron. Yeah, the last time my wife was on the tandem, was only about a 15 mile ride(but it involved about 1500' of elevation gain). I kinda ruined it right there for her.. I think if I had a stoker crank with a freewheel mode, my wife would be ok on it.

It's good to know that you both enjoy riding it together. I have really noticed how much stronger the kids are now as stokers(vs a couple years ago). The hills are always a challenge, but the assist bursts are longer and more frequent.
Old 05-11-15, 06:08 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Thanks Aaron. Yeah, the last time my wife was on the tandem, was only about a 15 mile ride(but it involved about 1500' of elevation gain). I kinda ruined it right there for her.. I think if I had a stoker crank with a freewheel mode, my wife would be ok on it.

It's good to know that you both enjoy riding it together. I have really noticed how much stronger the kids are now as stokers(vs a couple years ago). The hills are always a challenge, but the assist bursts are longer and more frequent.
Could you tell us more about the builder? The frame looks great.
Old 05-11-15, 06:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Reviving this thread. To those of you that have had yours for a while, do you still have the tandem?
Roger, those are great pics!

We've had our tandem for about 5 years now, an '82 Peugeot we picked up from BF member ScottRyder. We have ridden it about 6000 miles during that time. I still have the same stoker, someone I picked up officially back in '77.

From this past weekend, 67.1 miles with BF member otg:

From last fall in Acadia National park:

Old 05-11-15, 08:04 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Could you tell us more about the builder? The frame looks great.
Joe was an engineer at Boeing, and built about 35 bikes during the 80s, in his spare time. I've exchanged a few emails with him since owning the bike. He and Bob Freeman have known each other for many years. Bob was nice enough to get me in touch with Joe. Here's a link to another tandem he built, which got my interest and lead me to find mine.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/837910...7627688934011/

Roger, those are great pics!

We've had our tandem for about 5 years now, an '82 Peugeot we picked up from BF member ScottRyder. We have ridden it about 6000 miles during that time. I still have the same stoker, someone I picked up officially back in '77.

From this past weekend, 67.1 miles with BF member
Thanks Jim. Your post in the "where'd you ride" thread is what got me started on this thread today. 62 miles is an awesome ride on any bike, but gettin it done n a tandem is amazing. I've only managed a few rides in the 40 mile range on ours.
Old 05-11-15, 08:52 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Thanks Jim. Your post in the "where'd you ride" thread is what got me started on this thread today. 62 miles is an awesome ride on any bike, but gettin it done n a tandem is amazing. I've only managed a few rides in the 40 mile range on ours.
Thanks, Roger! (It was actually 67 this weekend, 72 last weekend, but who's counting? ) It is indeed harder on the tandem than on a solo bike. My stoker/sweetie is, um, diminutive and pushing 140mm cranks, so she doesn't exactly dump out the torque. Which mean my power/weight ratio is higher than hers. Which means I carry her uphill, but don't let her know I said that! As for the bike, 40lbs (without the panniers) would be light for two solo bikes, but not by modern tandem standards.

I'm by no means a long-distance expert but I've learned a few things that help on the tandem even more than on a solo bike. You have to relax, especially uphill. It helps to coast whenever appropriate (though my stoker/sweetie likes to pedal on the big chainring). You (or at least I) really really really have to stop and eat often!

As for that "where'd you ride" thread, that's one of my favorites!
Old 05-12-15, 09:41 AM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 19 Posts
I dusted off the Famous James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem last Friday for the end of Bike to Work Week dinner:
There is a hand operated front drum brake for the Captain as well as a FOOT operated drum brake also for the Captain. It is currently set in the "Lady-Back" position for the stoker since my wife rode along with me.
Attached Images
11474275265_08f82f5cc4_z.jpg (94.9 KB, 276 views)
Old 05-12-15, 10:44 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa
I dusted off the Famous James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem last Friday for the end of Bike to Work Week dinner:
There is a hand operated front drum brake for the Captain as well as a FOOT operated drum brake also for the Captain. It is currently set in the "Lady-Back" position for the stoker since my wife rode along with me.
Huh? Do you have a picture by chance of the foot operated brake?

Cool looking bike.
Old 05-12-15, 11:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I will throw in my middle of the road, obsolete Burley Duet. It is a work in process of being finished. I was going to have it powder coated this summer but the shop isn't taking new business do to being at capacity. It will be red. Date is about 1994. All original except the middle chain ring. Oh I did change the braking controls so that the Canti's are independent, one on each brake lever, and the drag brake is a separate lever on the stem. New tires and I think that is about it. A little goofy looking as my stoker doesn't like drop bars. And you MUST keep the stoker happy! The captains saddle is a Brooks Pro from 1972 now and the stokers is a Terry. Moved the drag brake anchor to the bottom of the chain stay.

1994 Burley Duet in the raw on Flickr

I had the original decals copied and custom made. They are awaiting paint. Yes, I timed the cranks after the picture.

Last edited by SJX426; 12-01-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 11:57 AM
Mike from Iowa

Bikes: 1939 The James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem, 1950 Dunelt cruiser, 1960 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 Humber Sports, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Originally Posted by due ruote
Huh? Do you have a picture by chance of the foot operated brake?

Cool looking bike.
Yep, here's the footbrake, Captain has to take left foot off pedal and reach back for it:
Attached Images
tandemfootbrake.jpg (87.6 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-12-15, 12:35 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa
Yep, here's the footbrake, Captain has to take left foot off pedal and reach back for it:
Is that a bit awkward? Without toe clips, it would be a bit of a challenge making right hand turns using pedal brake! Thanks for sharing this oddity! Not uncommon but both chains on the drive side is not often seen either.
Old 05-12-15, 12:38 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

That "Famous James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem" is just too cool for words!
Old 05-12-15, 01:17 PM
Mike from Iowa

Originally Posted by SJX426
Is that a bit awkward? Without toe clips, it would be a bit of a challenge making right hand turns using pedal brake! Thanks for sharing this oddity! Not uncommon but both chains on the drive side is not often seen either.
I rarely use the foot brake, you have to REALLY need to stop in order to use it. We tried having the stoker reach forward in order to use it, but typically the time of Captain making a verbal command and having stoker react was too long!

I've been contemplating adding a rear caliper brake operated by stoker, some models of this bike came with this originally.
Old 05-12-15, 01:25 PM
Mike from Iowa

That "Famous James Arrow Ace Convertible Touring Tandem" is just too cool for words!
It is cool, we don't ride it as often as we should. It doesn't have the original gear system, I got it with a Suntour 5 speed already installed. Here is a scan of some original literature.
Attached Images
Old 05-12-15, 02:23 PM
himespau 

Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
I'm jealous of so many of you.

Old 05-19-15, 11:46 AM
slcurts

Bikes: Kona Sutra * Trek T2000 * Specialized Roubaix * 90 Gary Fisher Paragon * 71 Columbia Twosome * 66 Raleigh Sports * 36 Dawes tandem * 1925 Granby * 1908 Cleveland Swell * 1899 Gormully & Jeffries Rambler

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Here's one that's a little rougher than most on this thread. It's a Dawes, made in England, 1936 I think. It seems to be all original except the rear bars, and I think the front bars were originally on the rear. I've disassembled it and cleaned it, but haven't put it back together yet because other projects keep coming up. There's a photo album at https://www.flickr.com/photos/513078...57650151291005.

Stan in Indy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.