Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Why the desire for no padding on a recumbent?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 06:39 AM
Catboat18
OldFart

Bikes: Performance Arrow Recumbent Tadpole and Folding Montague

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what the reasoning is for not wanting padding on a recumbent. I ride a Performance Arrow tadpole. It just has a web seat. The padding of regular biking shorts is comfortable and the chamois still helps with the chafing and moisture wicking concerns. So can someone describe what is the reason for not wanting padding?
Old 08-04-09, 08:24 AM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last time I wore padded shorts was the last time I rode an upright bike. Just don't find them necessary anymore.
Old 08-04-09, 08:39 AM
karterjimm

Bikes: Actionbent Suspended Road Runner, Optima Baron, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why use something that is not needed?
Old 08-04-09, 08:49 AM
papawizo

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Merckx ti with a lot of miles, Cannondale T1000, Tandem Tuesday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent big bucks on the best shorts money could buy to protect my bum. Now it doesn't matter. If chamois works for you than at least buy a cheap pair. I wear traditional bike shorts because I have so many pairs from when I rode df.
Old 08-04-09, 09:22 AM
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I see it too, why buy expensive duds that are not needed. Cheap sweat shorts is what I wear. I just look at it as one of the many advantages of riding a bent. In fact I really cant imagine wanting to be girdled with spandex when I dont have to be.
Old 08-04-09, 09:40 AM
SabreMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweat collector

Not to be indelicate, but I sweat an hellacious amount when I ride. And it all slides downward. With padded shorts, it will collect in the pad. NOT a good feeling. I cut out the padding in my 50+ forum shorts that I just got and am now much more comfortable when I ride. If I could only get the sweat not to accumulate in the webbing of my seat!

Glenn in Omaha
Old 08-04-09, 10:27 AM
Catboat18
OldFart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I guess, I've not really tried to ride the recumbent without the bike shorts. I've got some underarmour shorts and will give them a try on a short ride on the recumbent. I don't really care to tear up the bike shorts because we do still ride the DF's when traveling.

This year, with the extreme humidity, has been a difficult year for "my boys", so I don't want to upset them with improper care. Lots of "Gold Bond" and "Aquaphor" has been used with much success.
Old 08-04-09, 10:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have coolmax underwear, and that works fine for sweat dispersion as well as an extra privacy layer for unpadded shorts. I still have some padded shorts; but wearing them feels like wearing a diaper, and the benefit is minimal to none.
Old 08-04-09, 02:46 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I still wear my lycra--not so much because of the padding, but because of the location of the seams. When I wear my regular shorts, the seams of the shorts (and underwear in particular) dig into not-so-nice places. Also, loose shorts tend to get caught on things.
Old 08-05-09, 06:15 AM
Catboat18
OldFart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went padless on the recumbent last night using the UnderArmour long leg briefs. Seemed okay, you guys were right. This will save the bike shorts for the 2 wheelers. Real shy about having problems with "da boys". If you have never experienced "crotch rot", it is not an experience I would recommend. However, some have to learn for themselves. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-05-09, 02:53 PM
rsyb

Bikes: Vision VR40 LWB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear traditional padded bibs. Most comfortable even with the pad.

I ride a Vision R40. There is a post on the seat frame in the "crotchel area" that causes a little discomfort on rides of significant distance. Pad eliminates the problem.
Old 08-17-09, 09:03 AM
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just remember we are talking riding a recumbent here. We are NOT setting on "the boys". We are not all hunched over cutting off air circulation. As I posted before, I just wear regular briefs, and an inexpensive pair of cotton sweat shorts. I now have thousands of miles on my LWB recumbent with no problems at all. Our bikes may cost more but we dont need expensive duds.
Old 08-17-09, 09:37 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have 5-6 pairs of 'worn out' shorts that are reserved for the bent where they work fine.
On the DF or more recently stoking on a tandem, a good pair of shorts is critical to comfort
so I reserve the 'tandem rated" shorts to the tandem or for century length rides on the DF.
Recumbent is a good place to use your older shorts if you have a bunch.
Old 08-17-09, 09:47 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought padded shorts because I ride a DF and a 'bent. Although the padding isn't necessary on the 'bent, it doesn't hurt either. I didn't want to have 'bent specific clothing, and the padding cycling shorts are wonderful at sweat-wicking.
Old 08-17-09, 11:34 AM
GreenGrasshoppr
Opt-in Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd wear padded shorts if it was cold outside
Old 08-19-09, 08:21 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On long rides my old comfortable as a glove padded bibs cause really really raw skin on my inner theighs and on really long rides they made it so bad I could hardly walk.
It may be a function of how they fit but on an upright the hatchet seat firmly pushed them up on the recumbent there is nothing to firmly push them up so they aren't quite as curved as they normally would be.
They still work fine for shorter rides up to say 70 miles or so and I do ride my upright on occasion so I keep them around. For long rides I do underarmor heatgear with a thin not skin tight nylon shorts on top.
Old 07-25-11, 12:23 PM
Denny Crane

Bikes: Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0, Bacchetta Corsa 700 (SOLD), Bacchetta Giro ATT 26 and a Motobecane Le Champion Titanium.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Padded Chamois Can Serve More Than One Purpose.

Originally Posted by Catboat18
I'm not sure what the reasoning is for not wanting padding on a recumbent. I ride a Performance Arrow tadpole. It just has a web seat. The padding of regular biking shorts is comfortable and the chamois still helps with the chafing and moisture wicking concerns. So can someone describe what is the reason for not wanting padding?
There may be less reason for a padded chamois on a trike, but on a SWB high racer, I found the pad helpful in a spill yesterday. The chamois pad doesn't tear as easily as lycra does. The chamois saved parts of my tender skin, cushioned the drop onto the pavement, and provided some coverage of the bum when I walked into CVS and a store that sold shorts. On the other hand, although I destroyed Sugoi RS shorts left over from df days, I ordered two pairs of the less expensive Sugoi Evolution shorts when I got home, as the padding doesn't have to cushion my sit bones for 75 miles on a bent.
Old 07-25-11, 08:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Denny Crane

There may be less reason for a padded chamois on a trike, but on a SWB high racer, I found the pad helpful in a spill yesterday. The chamois pad doesn't tear as easily as lycra does. The chamois saved parts of my tender skin, cushioned the drop onto the pavement, and provided some coverage of the bum when I walked into CVS and a store that sold shorts. On the other hand, although I destroyed Sugoi RS shorts left over from df days, I ordered two pairs of the less expensive Sugoi Evolution shorts when I got home, as the padding doesn't have to cushion my sit bones for 75 miles on a bent.
You do realize that this thread is 2 years old, don't you?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-17-11, 01:51 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You do realize that this thread is 2 years old, don't you? . . . .
But that's such a short time compared with the giant Sequoias or, for that matter, the Jeff Wills cycling career. <G>
Old 08-22-11, 07:23 PM
Denny Crane

Bikes: Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0, Bacchetta Corsa 700 (SOLD), Bacchetta Giro ATT 26 and a Motobecane Le Champion Titanium.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why Do You Ask?

[QUOTE=Jeff Wills;12986530]You do realize that this thread is 2 years old, don't you?

I'm wondering why you asked the question, inasmuch as the date is rather obvious on the postings. People still ride recumbents (more and more every year), the question still arises (I found the thread while searching out the same issue), and updated information may be helpful to someone. IMHO, the term "Zombie thread" is only relevant to dead issues, such as events that have passed, or discussion of products long since discontinued.

Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-22-11 at 07:24 PM. Reason: delete image
Old 08-22-11, 07:43 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
[QUOTE=Denny Crane;13118320]
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You do realize that this thread is 2 years old, don't you?

I'm wondering why you asked the question, inasmuch as the date is rather obvious on the postings. People still ride recumbents (more and more every year), the question still arises (I found the thread while searching out the same issue), and updated information may be helpful to someone. IMHO, the term "Zombie thread" is only relevant to dead issues, such as events that have passed, or discussion of products long since discontinued.
Hmmm. So you DID realize it was 2 years old then? Hmm.

Anyway, my contribution: I removed the diaper from all of my old shorts because I didn't like the feeling of wearing a diaper.
Old 08-22-11, 09:04 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Steamer;13118428]
Originally Posted by Denny Crane

Hmmm. So you DID realize it was 2 years old then? Hmm.

Anyway, my contribution: I removed the diaper from all of my old shorts because I didn't like the feeling of wearing a diaper.
Really? Well , I suspect that most who won't wear biking clothing do so because it looks ridiculous on big beer-bellies and tends to roll down on round stomachs.
But considering the average age of recumbent riders, (myself included) they might as well stick with the padded clothes - it's good practice for those adult Pampers that they will soon need....LOL....

PS: Just a joke...don't get all huffy.
Old 09-10-11, 03:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The simple fact remains wearing spandex with pantie liners are not needed on a recumbent.
Old 09-10-11, 04:54 PM
AlexZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Yeah! parachute shorts are so much sexier! Plus they look so good with old raunchy sandals and a beard.....
Old 09-18-11, 10:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Wearing padded DF shorts on a bent is kinda like wearing a raincoat to bed. They simply are not needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.