Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SPD myth busting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

SPD myth busting

Old 03-07-15, 05:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
SPD myth busting

I was an early adapter for clipless pedals with Look road pedals and shoes in the early 80's, but found them to be undesirable, and gave up on them rather quickly. Yes, they worked fine while riding, but are totally worthless the moment one stops. A total fail for me.
Clips worked much better for me as they're compatible with a wide selection of normal footwear, yet I still found myself using them less and less as their benefits are a wash for the extra effort required to use them for how I ride most of the time. I found that pinned platforms worked nearly as well as clips in most respects without any effort to use them.

But....I remembered there are times when the extra efficiency, and reduction in fatigue of foot retention for long rides is nice, so I finally decided to give SPD a try.

Pedals, Shimano SP-324 pedals which are SPD on one side and standard MTB cage on the other.
Shoe, Shimand CT80 multi use SPD shoe.

My impressions after the initial 25 mile ride home from the Issaquah REI where I purchased them.

Myth, they are potentially more dangerous/safer than platforms.
Its been almost 30 years since I last used clipless pedals, yet I was able to immediately clip in and ride with hardly any effort, and with the tension set to minimum, its so easy to clip out I can't imaging having a "clipless moment". Even after increasing tension, clipping out can be done without conscious thought.
While underway I was rather surprised by the amount of float, so really they didn't feel much different than pinned platforms. I've had virtually no issues with slipping off more aggressive platform pedals, and SPDs are ridiculously easy to use, so I think both sides of the "safety" issues with SPD are myth busted.

Myth, SPD shoes allow one to walk normally.
Maybe on smooth hard surfaces or carpet, but on anything else it becomes immediately apparent they are not normal shoes, so while they are light years ahead of road shoes for walking, there are still limitations, and they're not equitable to normal foot wear. Another myth busted.

Myth, clipless is more efficient and less fatiguing than platforms.
While I don't feel its the huge night and day difference some claim when compared to pinned or other high grip platforms, even my short ride confirmed they are indeed more efficient and less fatiguing for all the well known reasons. Myth confirmed.

Campus pedals do have the disadvantage that one must sometimes hunt for the correct side depending what one is wearing, but for my needs its a minor inconvenience for the flexibility they allow. I'm pondering on some sort of clip on weight that will keep the correct side of the pedal up for what I'm wearing.

Overall I'm glad I got them, but it basically confirmed something I already knew, that there isn't a truly superior or safer type of pedal.
IMO, that's the biggest myth of them all, and now consider it totally busted.
Old 03-07-15, 05:10 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The people who think clipless pedals are somehow more dangerous are usually the people who've never ridden them, or haven't been riding them long enough. I had many of the same reservations that you had, and upon trying them I was an immediate convert. Don't worry, your clipless moment will come soon! It took me three rides before it happened
Old 03-07-15, 05:11 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Myth, SPD shoes allow one to walk normally.
Maybe on smooth hard surfaces or carpet, but on anything else it becomes immediately apparent they are not normal shoes, so while they are light years ahead of road shoes for walking, there are still limitations, and they're not equitable to normal foot wear. Another myth busted.
There are a wide variety of SPD compatible shoes and sandals. Mine are almost like sneakers. I can most definitely walk normally. The only time I can tell I'm wearing clipless shoes is outdoors on concrete or walking down some stairs.

I wouldn't consider that one "busted" based on a single shoe.
Campus pedals do have the disadvantage that one must sometimes hunt for the correct side depending what one is wearing, but for my needs its a minor inconvenience for the flexibility they allow. I'm pondering on some sort of clip on weight that will keep the correct side of the pedal up for what I'm wearing.
Wait until your pedals break in and they start to spin easier. You will probably find that they do hang a consistent way. At least that's how it was for my A530s.
Old 03-07-15, 05:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Can we skip to the end of the episode where they fill it with explosives and it blows up real good?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-07-15, 05:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Myth: It's impossible to ride long distance without clipless pedals.
Reality: I have busted this particular myth so many times already that I lost track of the count. My longest ride up to date is 104 miles on fixed gear with toe clips and straps. I have also done countless 40-60 mile rides with pinned platforms.

Myth: Clipless is safer
Reality: I never banged up and messed up my shins because of having my foot slip off pinned platform pedals, I also never crashed as a result of having my foot slip off platform pedals. I have ridden one of my fixed gear bikes all winter with pinned platforms and no foot retention and never had an issue.

Myth: Clipless is more efficient and faster.
Reality: Toe clips and straps provide 90% or more efficiency of clipless, pretty close and good enough for me.

Myth: All real, seasoned, experienced cyclist use clipless pedals
Reality: This particular myth has been busted by thousands of real, experienced cyclists who are getting around just fine without clipless pedals.

Clipless is completely unnecessary for commuters and utility riders who stop frequently during their commutes and run a lot of errands, do shopping and do other activities which involve getting off the bike and walking.
Old 03-07-15, 06:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I could jog in my Giro Rumble SPD shoes if I wanted to.

This thread isn't so much about myths as it is strawmen.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-07-15, 06:45 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use dual function spd/platform pedals as well...as for finding the correct side when taking off...if I do happen to hit the flat side while heading from a stop sign, there is no trouble in simply pedaling with one foot on the flat side until I am past the intersection and can use half a rotation to flip the pedal around.
Old 03-07-15, 06:58 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Myth: Every rider has made the decision of which pedal is right for her/him;
therefore riders who aren't using the same are misinformed and using the
wrong pedal shoes combo.

Truth: Use whatever works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5V...aIoDLA&index=6
Old 03-07-15, 07:03 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I could jog in my Giro Rumble SPD shoes if I wanted to.

This thread isn't so much about myths as it is strawmen.
This.
Old 03-07-15, 07:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I like and use clipless on my modern daily rider(s). But I think the toe clips with straps look better on my V&C bike(s)... so I use the toe clips (too). After all... those toe clips worked fine for me in the 60's.... why wouldn't they work today? And regular old platform pedals seem like the right pedal when I ride the 3 speed with the fenders and chainguard.

They all work.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-07-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 07:35 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
its so easy to clip out I can't imaging having a "clipless moment".
Do people have "clipless moments". Why?
If they do, then imagining that they don't is one solution.
Old 03-07-15, 07:40 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
This thread needs more C-4......myth busted!!
Old 03-07-15, 08:08 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
This thread needs more C-4......myth busted!!
My other sports specific shoes are shod with C-4

Stealth Rubber - C4
Old 03-07-15, 08:12 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
There are a wide variety of SPD compatible shoes and sandals. Mine are almost like sneakers. I can most definitely walk normally. The only time I can tell I'm wearing clipless shoes is outdoors on concrete or walking down some stairs.

I wouldn't consider that one "busted" based on a single shoe.
When I say Walk normally, that means being able to walk on the exposed aggregate walkway outside our back door without sounding like I'm wearing horseshoes, being able to walk on the road or a parking lot and not skittering if I happen to step on a pebble, or walk on our gravel driveway without crunching and grinding.

I selected the shoe specifically because of positive reviews and recommendations of its walk ability. Yes I can walk and run in them without problem, but to say they're like normal shoes that don't require extra consideration is optimistic at best, which is kind of the point of my post. SPD is a nice system that works great, but its not all puppys and rainbows as some claim.

Last edited by kickstart; 03-07-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 08:17 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The only reason that I use SPDs is teh fact that I have a bit of neuropathy in my feet. I just can't feel where my foot is on the pedal without looking down, and I have to look down a LOT. Without clips I find I am putting my foot all over the pedals. Pushing with my heels or end of my toes causes me a lot of leg pain. I've also slipped my feet off the pedals and jammed my legs into the ground, and barked by legs up pretty badly. I use dual sided pedals, They work for me.
Old 03-07-15, 08:49 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
The people who think clipless pedals are somehow more dangerous are usually the people who've never ridden them, or haven't been riding them long enough. I had many of the same reservations that you had, and upon trying them I was an immediate convert. Don't worry, your clipless moment will come soon! It took me three rides before it happened
Oh yes..... I've had both clip and clipless moments when first using clips and Look road clipless, but perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. My point is that the Shimano pedals can be set with the tension so light, as one should when using them for the first time, that one can unclip with virtually no effort at all.
Old 03-07-15, 09:01 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
When I say Walk normally, that means being able to walk on the exposed aggregate walkway outside our back door without sounding like I'm wearing horseshoes, being able to walk on the road or a parking lot and not skittering if I happen to step on a pebble, or walk on our gravel driveway without crunching and grinding.

I selected the shoe specifically because of positive reviews and recommendations of its walk ability. Yes I can walk and run in them without problem, but to say they're like normal shoes that don't require extra consideration is optimistic at best, which is kind of the point of my post. SPD is a nice system that works great, but its not all puppys and rainbows as some claim.
Then you might like crank bros/egg-beater style cleats. They have a lower profile cleat and fit on most if not all SPD shoes. I wasn't that thrilled with their pedals but some people like them too.

With those on my same shoe I could walk stealthily on pretty much any surface.
Old 03-07-15, 09:17 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Then you might like crank bros/egg-beater style cleats. They have a lower profile cleat and fit on most if not all SPD shoes. I wasn't that thrilled with their pedals but some people like them too.

With those on my same shoe I could walk stealthily on pretty much any surface.
Well, I made my choice, and overall I'm happy. My critique wasn't intended to discredit SPD, but just to throw a little perspective out there for others who may be on the fence like I was.

Besides, if I came home with another set of pedals and cleats after just a week, my wife would probably invent a new and painful way for me to clip into them.
Old 03-08-15, 12:14 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I have a pair of these, and with SPD cleats, you don't sound like a horse clip clopping along. They are comfortable enough to walk around in as well. They don't look like biking shoes which is great.

As for the clipless vs flats vs straps, this is a never ending battle, and for some, clipless works and others prefer platforms. There is no right or wrong choice, only what works for you. I have been riding clipless now for so long that I don't want to go back to flats. I commute on them and do fun rides with them.
Old 03-08-15, 12:49 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have a pair of these, and with SPD cleats, you don't sound like a horse clip clopping along. They are comfortable enough to walk around in as well. They don't look like biking shoes which is great.

I have a pair of non SPD Chrome Truks, they were 2nd on my list, the cleat well looked to be the same depth, so I suspect they would be the same for my conditions.
I went with the Shimano CT80 because they are more comfortable and don't look like bike or skater shoes.

Old 03-08-15, 02:12 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I have a pair of non SPD Chrome Truks, they were 2nd on my list, the cleat well looked to be the same depth, so I suspect they would be the same for my conditions.
I went with the Shimano CT80 because they are more comfortable and don't look like bike or skater shoes.

I am currently using these Shimanos as well. I really like them.

Old 03-08-15, 06:13 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that as you use the pedals and and walk the cleats will wear down and not be as noticeable.

I like the look of the shoe you got. I might have to give them more of a look. How do they fit? As in size accuracy, is a size 9 the same as a size 9 Nike?

Last edited by joeyduck; 03-08-15 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 03-08-15, 06:46 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Myth #1 - Clipless pedals are better for you: Plausible.
Myth #2 - Platform pedals are better for you : Plausible.
Myth #3 - What works for me is what's best for you : Busted
Myth #4 - What works for you is what you should ride: Confirmed.
Old 03-08-15, 07:20 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
I've been wearing Shimano's "touring" shoes for years. I uses Time ATAC pedals and my cleats do not contact the ground unless I'm walking on some sort of trail or other uneven surface. There was even a period of about a year, right after I moved countries, when I only had two pairs of shoes: my bike shoes and my dress shoes.
Old 03-08-15, 08:00 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OP will fall over at least once when failing to unclip, it's the law.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.