Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

post your cinelli x mash frame review

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 03:03 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Steel| IRO Mark V fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there are literally no reviews on the frame or any feedback (only one via google search).

I know they are hard to come by but if anyone on here owns it please share some insights.

1. How do you like the frame vs steel?
2. Does the pursuit frame make you accelerate faster?
3. Overall quality.
4. Weight? flex? stiff?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-10, 08:37 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no one?
Old 01-18-10, 09:43 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
5h30m and no reviews????

ZZOOMG!
Old 01-19-10, 12:53 AM
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well im from the bay area lol. But i ride a windsor. lol. shame no one is posting here. I think the Cinelli Mash is mostly a Bay Area thing. Since Mash is a local Bay Area crew.

But on that note, Mash is so raw.
Old 01-19-10, 01:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by brron
there are literally no reviews on the frame or any feedback (only one via google search).

I know they are hard to come by but if anyone on here owns it please share some insights.

1. How do you like the frame vs steel?
2. Does the pursuit frame make you accelerate faster?
3. Overall quality.
4. Weight? flex? stiff?

Thanks guys!
...and here I was thinking that doing squats for the last 6 months would make me accelerate faster.

I gotta have a long talk with my coach.
Old 01-19-10, 01:47 PM
NoCash27
bree bree bree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, a friend of mine has one. But he built his up like an idiot. He put some downhill MTB cranks on it, an ugly fender, crap pedals, risers that were flipped down for some reason, etc... But I did pick it up and it was still super light.
Old 01-19-10, 02:24 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
...and here I was thinking that doing squats for the last 6 months would make me accelerate faster.

I gotta have a long talk with my coach.

I'll save u the trouble and tell u squats make u faster. However due to the interesting frame geo, I'm wondering if anyone notice a different riding style, not really faster, specifically. Sorry.

I'm from the bay area too and I don't see them anywhere, even tho lbs iminusd seems to sell out preorders. And I won't build it like an idiot, it'll be classy
Old 01-19-10, 03:12 PM
erichsia
thread derailleur

Bikes: 82 Bianchi ECO Pista, Pake, Kilo TT, some *** bmx i found underneath an old house

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
well im from the bay area lol. But i ride a windsor. lol. shame no one is posting here. I think the Cinelli Mash is mostly a Bay Area thing. Since Mash is a local Bay Area crew.

But on that note, Mash is so raw.
you would be woefully wrong on that one.
Old 01-19-10, 03:17 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm from the bay area too and I don't see them anywhere, even tho lbs iminusd seems to sell out preorders. And I won't build it like an idiot, it'll be classy
Perhaps people are using them for their intended purpose. Do you see any at the track, or are you only checking local pubs and coffee shops?
Old 01-19-10, 03:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'll save u the trouble and tell u squats make u faster. However due to the interesting frame geo, I'm wondering if anyone notice a different riding style, not really faster, specifically. Sorry.

Even track racers from recreational to elite have abandoned slanted pursuit frame geometry. That should tell you something. It tells me that it doesn't make anything faster. Further, pursuit frames are to be used with aerobars. Period.

If you use drops or risers your back and neck will *still* ache.

I think it was a half-baked idea to make it. Yeah, as maybe a show bike or prototype, but not for production. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a dime that anyone who buys it and actually rides it would look to sell it within months.
Old 01-19-10, 04:26 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
Perhaps people are using them for their intended purpose. Do you see any at the track, or are you only checking local pubs and coffee shops?
I don't go out to pubs or coffee shops: I do go to local rides and I am presuming it was intended as a street/urban frame, not a track frame. I also commute to sf regularly, haven't seen one in sf in person either.
Old 01-19-10, 04:28 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Even track racers from recreational to elite have abandoned slanted pursuit frame geometry. That should tell you something. It tells me that it doesn't make anything faster. Further, pursuit frames are to be used with aerobars. Period.

If you use drops or risers your back and neck will *still* ache.

I think it was a half-baked idea to make it. Yeah, as maybe a show bike or prototype, but not for production. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a dime that anyone who buys it and actually rides it would look to sell it within months.
so you think it's all hype trying to cash in? I understand there are some hype surrounding it since it's in collab with mashsf, but i really like the frame style.
Old 01-19-10, 04:42 PM
destikon
FNG

Bikes: Raleigh Special * Nishiki MTN Winter Commuter * Trek Soho 3 * Specialized Langster Seattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mash is a bro bike. i'd take one though.
Old 01-19-10, 05:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

so you think it's all hype trying to cash in? I understand there are some hype surrounding it since it's in collab with mashsf, but i really like the frame style.
Yes. It's all hype.

"The MASHSF fixie frameset is an all-new design built from the ground up. The result of a collaboration between a San Francisco group of artists, photographers, bike messengers and Cinelli. Featuring pursuit track geometry, monochromatic paint scheme and a retro-Classic Cinelli crest logo on the head tube."
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/frame_09mash.html

I don't even have to see the bike to know it's all about hype.

Man, it looks *interesting* (I won't go so far as to say "good" or "cool") but don't let that keep you from spending (less of) your hard-earned money on a bike that will actually fit better, which will result in the best performance possible from your body.

MASH is just cashing in on the quirky cool factor of pursuit bikes from decades ago.
Old 01-19-10, 06:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
Well, if by "intended purpose" you mean to create a useless bike that is virtually unridable to be purchased by people with more money than brains, then maybe people are just building them and then immediately trying to flip them. I've never seen one at the track or anything like it, and I go to the track a lot.
Old 01-19-10, 06:15 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Well, if by "intended purpose" you mean to create a useless bike that is virtually unridable to be purchased by people with more money than brains, then maybe people are just building them and then immediately trying to flip them. I've never seen one at the track or anything like it, and I go to the track a lot.
It's a catch-22. Like a Hummer. Marketing dictates an image that the design cannot live up to. But they do refer to it as a track bike.
Old 01-19-10, 07:19 PM
championbelto

Bikes: 07 pista, 09 mash cinelli, 06 specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's ok

I'll give you a review. I've owned a 53cm since sept. 09 and it's been a joy to have. I'm fortunate enough to have friends who are the same height as me and we all trade bikes just to get a feel for them. I've had the privilege to ride a makino, gt pulse, pista concept, and a steel pista over the years. The mash is my main squeeze and we do 14 mile round trip commutes and the occasional long ride. I currently have it setup with risers as it's easier for me to commute with them. The geometry wasn't hard to get used to as all my bikes are setup with very little saddle to bar drop. I do not have back pain or neck strain due to the geo. If you like whip skids this bike is very easy to do them with because more of your weight is placed over the front wheel. The bike is the light, stiff, and borderline harsh even with a 28c rando and 25c bontrager hardcase up front. Here's my commuting setup:

It's a great bike and although it's labeled as pursuit geo, it isn't as aggressive as an affiinity lo-pro. I hope I gave some useful insight
Old 01-19-10, 07:37 PM
tgscordv6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by championbelto
I'll give you a review. I've owned a 53cm since sept. 09 and it's been a joy to have. I'm fortunate enough to have friends who are the same height as me and we all trade bikes just to get a feel for them. I've had the privilege to ride a makino, gt pulse, pista concept, and a steel pista over the years. The mash is my main squeeze and we do 14 mile round trip commutes and the occasional long ride. I currently have it setup with risers as it's easier for me to commute with them. The geometry wasn't hard to get used to as all my bikes are setup with very little saddle to bar drop. I do not have back pain or neck strain due to the geo. If you like whip skids this bike is very easy to do them with because more of your weight is placed over the front wheel. The bike is the light, stiff, and borderline harsh even with a 28c rando and 25c bontrager hardcase up front. Here's my commuting setup:

It's a great bike and although it's labeled as pursuit geo, it isn't as aggressive as an affiinity lo-pro. I hope I gave some useful insight
Very nice. How tall are you?
Old 01-19-10, 07:51 PM
championbelto

Bikes: 07 pista, 09 mash cinelli, 06 specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'm 5'8"
Old 01-19-10, 08:12 PM
coolkid_cody

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn Continental II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The "pursuit" aspect of it would be kind of like putting a 65 degree drop stem on your bike and put it all the way down on the steer tube. Try it out and tell me if you go faster.

As a collaboration/ art standpoint, it is a cool bike. I really like that they redesigned the old head tube logo.
Old 01-19-10, 08:47 PM
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by championbelto

thanks for posting It's funny, I was going for almost the same set up as you (op rims, omnium crank). I'm 5'9" and suppose I would be getting the 53 as well. When you say borderline harsh, do you mean the fatigue that comes from the bike? road vibrations? My commute every day is 14 miles as well, mostly flat. Nice bike, and thanks again.
Old 01-19-10, 08:58 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Someone in Boston has one. I saw it locked up outside of Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square around 1AM about a month or so ago. I recall my wife making a joke that it was just hanging out waiting to get stolen.
Old 01-19-10, 09:23 PM
FixMe

Bikes: Langster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy of mine has one. He says the frame rides very tall. I think he said he normally rides a 54 or 55 and he has the Mash in 53. He loves it and says it rides fast as hell.
Old 01-20-10, 02:32 AM
dietstu
Alfred E. Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it does ride pretty tall. My other bike is a fuji track pro which is downright feathery compared to the cinelli, but the cinelli feels more comfortable to me. They're both the same gearing but the fuji accelerates way faster because my cinelli build is a little heavier. All and all, it's fun to ride and It's comfy, I've never felt this comfortable in drops before. Probably because the pursuit geo isn't all that aggressive.

Here's my setup:
Old 01-20-10, 02:47 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by dietstu
Yeah, it does ride pretty tall. My other bike is a fuji track pro which is downright feathery compared to the cinelli, but the cinelli feels more comfortable to me. They're both the same gearing but the fuji accelerates way faster because my cinelli build is a little heavier. All and all, it's fun to ride and It's comfy, I've never felt this comfortable in drops before. Probably because the pursuit geo isn't all that aggressive.

Here's my setup:
Can you do us a favor?

Take the following measurements for both of your bikes:
Middle of Bottom Bracket to Center of Seat Rails
Center of Seat Rail to Center of Stem (where it clamps the bar)
Center of Stem (at bar clamp) to Front Wheel bolt.

I think you pretty much negated the pursuit geometry by stacking the stem so high (even with the downward tilt).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.