Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What Type of Bike?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

What Type of Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 08:17 PM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What Type of Bike?

We just moved to Missouri last June and I am wanting to get biking again now that I've been walking for the last 3 months. I am 48 and in good health. I did some biking for an hour a day prior to moving... it was a cheap Walmart bike. I am ready to move on up to something around $500 - $650 with at least front suspension and disc brakes. We have dirt roads out here with loose gravel... and some paved. Would I look at 29" tires? I am leaning towards a Diamondback or Trek Marlin 5 or any ideas anyone else has. I don't know if I need a mountain bike since there will be about 1/3 paved roads possibly.... or something else. I fear a hybrid would be too wimpy on gravel/dirt roads... but I don't know, that's why I'm here. I am new at this as far as trying to figure out what would best meet my needs so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old 05-18-18, 06:39 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by hadassah
We have dirt roads out here with loose gravel... and some paved.
Suspension isn't necessary if that is all you are going to ride. I would look at the Giant ToughRoad if I were you.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-toughroad-slr
Old 05-19-18, 09:25 AM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A hardtail mountain bike would be a great option. It will give you the option to do more types of riding if you wish to progress into something more "dirty". For your price range, I would look into something used for maybe the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-28-18, 06:21 PM
jjry89

Bikes: 1980s Cannondale Touring, 2017 YT Jeffsy CF One, 2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a fantastic video for buying a beginner level mountain bike by a YouTube names Seth's Bikes Hacks. My "newness" to bike forums doesn't allow me to post links, but the name of the video is called "What's a good beginner bike? - Budget mountain bike" . Happy trails!
Old 06-01-18, 08:48 PM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jjry89
There is a fantastic video for buying a beginner level mountain bike by a YouTube names Seth's Bikes Hacks. My "newness" to bike forums doesn't allow me to post links, but the name of the video is called "What's a good beginner bike? - Budget mountain bike" . Happy trails!
Thank you so much for the link. I didn't see this until now but will still look at it as I may need a different bike. I just broke my leg today on my first outing. The bike slid out from under me on a simple turn. I'll be asking about it on a different post. I bought the women's version of the Trek Marlin 5 (Skye S).
Old 06-01-18, 10:25 PM
jjry89

Bikes: 1980s Cannondale Touring, 2017 YT Jeffsy CF One, 2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hadassah
Thank you so much for the link. I didn't see this until now but will still look at it as I may need a different bike. I just broke my leg today on my first outing. The bike slid out from under me on a simple turn. I'll be asking about it on a different post. I bought the women's version of the Trek Marlin 5 (Skye S).
Brutal! Sorry to hear that and hopefully you heal fast!
My girlfriend started mountain biking on a very similar bike (2014 Norco Forma 7.2) and those skinny tires don't do anyone any favours especially when the tire pressure is too high.... My gf found that out the hard way too. She managed to do two xterra races on that bike and rode it quite a bit until I kind of persuaded her to upgrade to a full suspension.
Old 06-04-18, 07:28 AM
Rider_88

Bikes: Stolen Sinner BMX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a hardtail bike model with good tyres. Take a good look on the amortization of a new bike. It will allow you to ignore off-road and feel comfortable even while riding on dirt and rocks. Merida hardtale bycicle woluld be a great choice.
Old 06-04-18, 08:39 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
For pavement and gravel roads, I'd look at something like the Raleigh Redux:

https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-135691

The wide tires and low pressures will be plenty for gravel roads, and there's no cheap suspension to worry about.