Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Northeast Greater NYC area Travel Options?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Northeast Greater NYC area Travel Options?

Old 09-03-19, 09:27 AM
brushspin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in central NJ so NJT is my way up to NYC the fastest. From that line I can hope to Newark International or take any of the train options. It wasn't until I read the responses on this thread that I realized just how many options there are. The bus option is nice given that you aren't tied to where the train line infrastructure is built, this way you can have trips that go to a wider area without having to take a plane.
Some time later this year I'd love to do a trip to Nova Scotia but for now I want to take a few "practice" tours before that using the greater NYC transit system to get me to a location and then cycle back.

To all those asking what I am specifically asking for don't think of this thread as a specific question I want answered, instead think of it as a board for sharing ideas about which transit options are available in the NYC area.
After that it's best to figure not just the options but also which options are the better of the bunch and friendlier to bicyclist.

Cheers!

PS: Great replies so far!
Old 09-03-19, 10:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by brushspin
To all those asking what I am specifically asking for don't think of this thread as a specific question I want answered, instead think of it as a board for sharing ideas about which transit options are available in the NYC area.
I can't help you there for two reasons. One, I don't approach touring that way and two, I don't know your area very well.

My limited experience there suggests that you have pretty much unlimited options, but as I said my experience there is limited. Given that it is a city where many folks tend to be carless I'd be surprised if I am wrong on that impression though.
Old 09-03-19, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
but for now I want to take a few "practice" tours before that using the greater NYC transit system to get me to a location and then cycle back.
Then I would definitely do a route that incorporates the roads south from Port Jervis through the Delaware Water Gap Nation Recreation Area and Worthington State Forest. The campground in Worthington is really nice. Was just there again last year during a tour from Vermont to Philly. Saw a spring bear cub. If you continue on south to Phillipsburg you can cross over to Easton, PA, and get on the D&L Trail. There is camping in Upper Black Eddy, PA. $10/night for cyclists. Entrance is right along the trail. Quiet place comprised of mostly seasonal adults, so no drunken rowdiness. Across the river from Upper Black Eddy is Milford which has food, drink and groceries. Just south of town you can pick up the D&R Feeder Canal Trail all the way to Trenton, NJ.

One of my favorite local-ish long weekend rides is to do a one way car rental to Port Jervis and then ride down the river to Lambertville then up into the hills home to Philly. If you cannot get a site at Worthington there are two campgrounds in and around Portland, PA.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-03-19, 11:25 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts

OK, well knowing WHERE you want to start a tour is going to change what transit method people recommend. I've zero interest is doing the research that you can just as easily do for - NJ Transit, Metro North, LIRR, AMTRAK, Greyhound, Bolt Bus, etc.....etc..... unless you narrow it down to specific request for "what mass transit can I take for my bike and I to Halifax, NS". See how that works ?.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-06-19, 05:36 AM
brushspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I've zero interest is doing the research that you can just as easily do for - NJ Transit, Metro North, LIRR, AMTRAK, Greyhound, Bolt Bus, etc.....etc..... unless you narrow it down to specific request for "what mass transit can I take for my bike and I to Halifax, NS". See how that works ?.
NJ .... NJTransit, Metro North, LIRR, AMTRAK, Greyhound, Bolt Bus
Thanks friend this was the answer I was looking for!

See how that works ?
See how the inquiring statement was phrased?
...I'm curious how everyone else gets to their destination before travelling out.
It's almost as if we should
think of [this thread] as a board for sharing ideas about which transit options are available in the [greater} NYC area.
Wow!

I know people can be grouchy on most forum websites but, honestly!? Look I haven't seen every single thread that exists on this forum but cut me some slack here I'm trying to create a post that will help others that happen to stumble across it in the future is all. I can do research myself thanks.
Old 09-06-19, 05:38 AM
brushspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Then I would definitely do a route that incorporates the roads south from Port Jervis through the Delaware Water Gap Nation Recreation Area and Worthington State Forest. If you continue on south to Phillipsburg you can cross over to Easton, PA, and get on the D&L Trail. There is camping in Upper Black Eddy, PA. $10/night for cyclists. Across the river from Upper Black Eddy is Milford which has food, drink and groceries. Just south of town you can pick up the D&R Feeder Canal Trail all the way to Trenton, NJ.
This comment is golden! I appreciate you sharing a route you seem to enjoy very much. I'll make sure to make this one of my trips for this year!
Old 09-06-19, 06:11 AM
indyfabz

This comment is golden! I appreciate you sharing a route you seem to enjoy very much. I'll make sure to make this one of my trips for this year!
I can draw you a map when I get back from my trip. Heading off the ride the GAP in a few hours.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-19, 06:21 AM
brushspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can draw you a map when I get back from my trip. Heading off the ride the GAP in a few hours.
Enjoy and be safe!
Cheers
Old 09-06-19, 11:11 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t think anyone mentioned renting a car for getting there, getting home, or both. And then there are airplanes. Figure out where you want to go first, then choose the best option to get you there and back. I know this sounds kind of basic.
Old 09-16-19, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Enjoy and be safe!
Cheers
Here is one option that uses the D&L Trail from Easton to Dogwood Haven Campground and then the D&R Trail from just south of Milford, NJ, to Trenton.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31125805

The Trenton Transportation Center is not far from the end of the trail. The recreation area aside, the 13 miles between Belividere and Philipsburg are a joy. I've ridden it a lot. If you see 5 moving cars it's a busy day. And because of narrow and low clearances thanks to the old rail line, you get no trucks. Personally, I like to get off the D&L Trail at Riegelsville, cross the old Roebling bridge and take the roads on the NJ side to Milford. They are quiet and scenic. And Milford is where the services (grocery store, eateries, etc.,) are.

As I think I noted, you can catch the train to Port Jervis, but there are only a couple of morning trains in that direction. Avis also allows one-way rental there. There are a couple of places nearby where you can camp. I would recommend getting on in Seacuacus because it has a high level platform, unlike Hoboken. You'll have to carry your bike off the train at Port Jervis as it also does not have a high level platfor. Don't have time at the moment to provide additional route notes.