Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities C&V ride - Date Revised - Now on for June 27th - (L'Utefisk)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Twin Cities C&V ride - Date Revised - Now on for June 27th - (L'Utefisk)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 07:42 PM
debit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like it was a good day and a great ride. Sorry I missed it, but looking forward to the next one.
Old 06-27-15, 08:19 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hey ddeand, I forgot them too, but was only a half-block from home when I remembered. Sorry to not have met you.

So glad to have gone out and sweated, ground up hills, and bombed down the back side of same
with this inaugural group.
Clearly I need to work a little on the intervals if I am to ride this old stout-geared bike along with the likes of you all.
The scenery was very nice, and a little unexpected- I didn't know wine grapes were grown this far north.

Thanks again to the organizers for setting up nice routes and providing such thorough cue sheets. The last saved me a few times.

In the pre-ride pic, I am front left with the red jersey and the black Raleigh Competition GS with handlebar bottle mount.
Old 06-27-15, 08:27 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Unfortunately, the ride's P.R. department had car trouble and didn't make the roll off.

Yep, that was me sitting on the side of I35 waiting for a tow this morning.

Fuel pump went out, so not only did I have the honor of missing this great ride with you guys, I also have the privilege of paying the Visa bill when it arrives.

Just wanted to say thanks for planning such a great ride and I am sorry to have missed you guys.

It was too long in between Twin Cities C&V rides, so maybe we can go again this fall.

Looks like you guys had a great time.
Old 06-27-15, 08:38 PM
SvenMN 

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats on a great ride! Looks like a blast! I am pretty disappointed that I couldn't be there.

I was worried about the date because of a chaotic move we still have in progress, and my concerns proved valid. And all but my gravel bike are buried in a storage locker. I did get 44 miles in early today on some of the the Inspiration 100 course. Greatly reduced my stress from closing yesterday.
Old 06-27-15, 08:52 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,311 Posts
Only now am I finding the various places I failed to apply sunscreen to.
Old 06-27-15, 09:05 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clang
Only now am I finding the various places I failed to apply sunscreen to.
I hosed completely. My neck is about the same tint as my jersey.
Old 06-27-15, 09:36 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Yep, that was me sitting on the side of I35 waiting for a tow this morning.

Fuel pump went out, so not only did I have the honor of missing this great ride with you guys, I also have the privilege of paying the Visa bill when it arrives.

Just wanted to say thanks for planning such a great ride and I am sorry to have missed you guys.

It was too long in between Twin Cities C&V rides, so maybe we can go again this fall.

Looks like you guys had a great time.
I figured it was something that was either expensive and/or unfortunate for you not to be there. Sorry that had to happen on such a nice day with the plans that were made. You missed a good one, but we'll surely plan another.
Old 06-28-15, 01:33 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. Very sorry I missed it. Going to do my best to be there next time.

Bummer about the car issues Grady.
Old 06-28-15, 03:01 PM
wardn1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoyed the ride. I'm the guy dressed all in grey on the left in the picture.

I'd ride with you guys any time. I live very close to where we started, so let me know whenever someone wants a riding partner that knows the area.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-15, 11:51 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was one of the more pleasurable rides I have had in a while. Thanks again, Chrome for organizing us! It is fantastic route with tons of beautiful scenery and a few challenging hills. I am the guy in the middle of the first pic with the New Yorker jersey and the black Raleigh Technium. I forgot my sunscreen so I got fried medium rare but liberal application of Aloe Vera externally and beer internally has mitigated the effects nicely. I will go riding with this group anytime! I hope we do it again yet this summer.

Andy Martin
Old 06-29-15, 11:53 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
Bummer about the car issues Grady.
Didn't have any choice. My wife needed the car to take her friends up to the cabin, along with two kayaks.
Old 06-29-15, 12:03 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
Apologies and really hard head slap to myself!

Well, guys . . . I was there at the beach parking lot early - just wanted to make certain I was on time. I drove up from Eagan and had my bike all spiffed up, ready to ride. As I opened the car door to get myself together, it dawned on me that I had not been as thorough as I should have been (yes, I had the bike, water, Garmin, energy bar, etc.) - but I had forgotten to bring my shoes! And there's no way I could have done a ride without my shoes. Plus, I was too late to try to find a bike shop and get some platform pedals. Sooooo . . . I headed out of the parking lot and drove home. I passed a few of you who were getting your bikes ready (might have even waved), and somewhat sheepishly and disappointed, headed south.

And I need to apologize. What I should have done before heading home was to stop and chat with those of you who did the ride - I guess my manners were a bit overshadowed by my disappointment with myself. It would have been nice meeting you, seeing your bikes, thanking those who put the ride together, and sending you off. So I apologize for my lapse of common courtesy. I will try to do better next year! At my age and with my knees, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the long ride, but I know I can do the short ride get to the bar early to get some good seats for everyone when they arrive.

Thanks for sharing the pics - I appreciate seeing the ride. BTW - I did do a nice ride when I got home and corralled my shoes, so the day wasn't a total loss.
You should have stayed and been our SAG wagon! Seriously, though, I have done the very same thing. Fortunately it was only a ride by myself but it was an hour home and an hour back for that ride in addition to the original hour there and the final hour back!
Old 06-29-15, 07:40 PM
Netdewt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
You should have stayed and been our SAG wagon! Seriously, though, I have done the very same thing. Fortunately it was only a ride by myself but it was an hour home and an hour back for that ride in addition to the original hour there and the final hour back!
Yep, I coulda used a sag wagon. Great time overall. Next time I'll eat a Thanksgiving spread before heading out.

Last edited by Netdewt; 06-29-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 11:59 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Thanks to Chrome Molly for setting this up!! I really enjoyed this ride, and FWIW was the longest ride I've attempted so far.

One thing that came out in spades for me is that it almost does not matter what bike you ride; what kind of shape you are in, how much training you have done, and (at least for me) how you climb hills is far more important than the bike (as long as it fits you and you are comfortable on it). Although I was slow, I was glad to make it all the way though the ride (especially despite still recovering from bronchitis).
Old 07-04-15, 10:20 AM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
As a post-ride note, while inspecting my bike to see if I could identify the source of a new squeak, I discovered that the quill stem on my '78 Competition GS had cracked nearly all the way around just above the headset nut sometime during this ride.
This while clocking 30+ mph on a few of those downhills! Check your bikes, C & V folks!
Old 07-05-15, 06:10 AM
Frogbutter 

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post17952168

BTW I was the guy on the red and yellow Cannondale that crashed in Stillwater.........

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7