Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Tire Pump Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike Tire Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 05:13 AM
s5fskzfv

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Tire Pump Question

I have schrader valves on my bike tires and I use a floor pump to add air. When I attach the pump head to the tire valve there is a lever to lock the pump to the tire. When this lever locks there is a "post" or "rod" inside the pump head that presses against the tire valve and opens the tire valve and you hear a brief hiss when you do this.

I want to get a pump or a replacement part so that that "post" or "rod" inside the pump head is made of metal. Because the one I have is plastic and it is worn down and doesn't work well (see photo) - I lose a lot of air when I am trying to get the pump head off the valve.

I would like to be able to place the pump head over the tire valve and then when I turn the lever on the pump head it opens the tire valve at the same time it locks the pump head to the tire valve. The reason I want to do this is so that when I take it off, releasing the lever allows the tire valve to completely close so I don't lose air while I am trying to get the pump head off the tire valve.

Can someone tell me either what brand and model of pump has a metal post in the pump head? Or what is the correct term for that part so I can try to find one on-line?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by s5fskzfv; 04-05-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 06:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I call it a "chuck". you don't necessarily have to replace the whole pump, just cut the line & slice in a new chuck. I had to modify my current electric pump to have the kind of chuck I wanted (when the old pump died). My current chuck is like yours but works well. I have learned, tho, not to press it too far onto the valve, so that's it's easier to remove, thereby losing less air. now, when I release the lever, there is a small burp, but the air doesn't continue to flow out. maybe you can try that technique? parts can be found at places like The Home Depot & automotive parts stores

here's one

& on Amazon

I know you're a hand pump guy, but this is my home pump. not suggesting you need an electric pump, just showing you how I spliced in what I wanted. I used the chuck end & hose from another pump that I liked but it had died, then got more pneumatic hose & connectors at THD in their air tool aisle. they've got little drawers with smalls parts, also some on wrapped cardboard packages. like this barbed coupler

this is the pump I scavenged the chuck & hose from

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-10-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 07:16 AM
s5fskzfv

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Now, when I release the lever, there is a small burp, but the air doesn't continue to flow out. Maybe you can try that?

That is what I want it to do. But if the part inside the chuck that pushes open the tire valve is made of plastic I am afraid it will wear out. I think I remember many years ago I had a bike pump where the part inside the chuck that pushes open the tire valve was metal. I would like to get one like that if possible. It is impossible to tell from on-line descriptions what it is made from so I am hoping someone in this forum can recommend something.
Old 04-05-19, 07:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have a Bontrager "Charger" floor pump with a dual use (Schrader and Presta) head and the center post in it is made of brass. I don't know if you can buy the head as a separate item.

Of course another solution is to use grommets or bushings in your rim's valve holes and use Presta tubes.
Old 04-05-19, 07:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
A couple years ago the chuck on my Meidai floor pump wore out. I replaced it with this chuck from Silca:

https://silca.cc/collections/floor-p...schrader-chuck

Works pretty well, all-metal construction, easy on and off the valve, not too pricey.
Old 04-05-19, 07:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You can buy replacement chucks or hoses that include the chuck for a little or a lot. Or just buy a new 10 dollar floor pump for the same price.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Floor-Pumps

https://www.nashbar.com/search?cID=14901&s=floor+pump
Old 04-05-19, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by s5fskzfv
It is impossible to tell from on-line descriptions what it is made from so I am hoping someone in this forum can recommend something
understood
Old 04-06-19, 10:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Of all the Presta vs. Schrader arguments, the most convincing to me has to do with how you inflate your tires.

If you use a hand pump, I find Presta valves with their simple poppet valve much more convenient to use.
If you use an air compressor, Schrader valves with a connection that you just push against rather than thread onto the valve stem is much faster and more convenient.