Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to keep a post from being "Moved"?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 08:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

It seems as if the moderators are in an all-out attempt to keep the posts in what they believe to be the proper forums. A number of posts in the 50+ forum have been moved recently.

Perhaps if we put "50+" in the title or something similar they would be less likely to get moved out????

I predict that the New Year's Resolution post will be moved promptly (or combined with another "New Year's Resolution" post), as it does not state specifically New Year's Resolutions of 50+ers.

Or, perhaps it makes no difference. Even if moved, the title stays in the forum.
Old 12-26-04, 09:00 AM
michaelwlf3
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, our new year's resolutions are going to be different from the twentysomething kids over in the other forums, and I would think the forum moderators would recognize that.

On the other hand, everybody makes resolutions, even if they don't keep them.
Old 12-26-04, 09:04 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by michaelwlf3
Of course, our new year's resolutions are going to be different from the twentysomething kids over in the other forums, and I would think the forum moderators would recognize that.
I would hope so, also. But don't count on it. A number of threads pretty much aimed at the 50+ folks have gotten "Moved" - I think the moderators generally look at the title and decide it does not belong.

Just a guess, though. I don't even know if we have one moderator for 50+, or if every moderator moderates all the forums?
Old 12-26-04, 09:16 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I would hope so, also. But don't count on it. A number of threads pretty much aimed at the 50+ folks have gotten "Moved" - I think the moderators generally look at the title and decide it does not belong.
I agree. My topic on the spinning class was moved to the Exercise forum, but I wrote it mainly as a comment on spinning for people of our age.

Doug
Old 12-26-04, 09:16 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They all moderate all the forums. We recently had this problem in SS/Fix. Even our stickies now have 'MOVED:' at the beginning of them (Lotek put that in front of the top 10 posts as a joke awhile ago). Several were asking specifically for the opinions of SS/Fixers, but weren't quite on topic enough for some moderators.

We just moaned and complained a lot, that seemed to work. We even went as far as this thread... I don't think just putting 50+ in the title is enough, you're going to want something in the text, too. But 50+ in the title is a good idea if you think it's going to get moved, so that people know where it came from. I think that they can change the title when they move it, so that might not help either.
Old 12-26-04, 09:24 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by DougG
I agree. My topic on the spinning class was moved to the Exercise forum, but I wrote it mainly as a comment on spinning for people of our age.

Doug
Yes, that is one of the ones I had in mind.

Originally Posted by HereNT
They all moderate all the forums. We recently had this problem in SS/Fix. Even our stickies now have 'MOVED:' at the beginning of them (Lotek put that in front of the top 10 posts as a joke awhile ago). Several were asking specifically for the opinions of SS/Fixers, but weren't quite on topic enough for some moderators.

We just moaned and complained a lot, that seemed to work. We even went as far as this thread... I don't think just putting 50+ in the title is enough, you're going to want something in the text, too. But 50+ in the title is a good idea if you think it's going to get moved, so that people know where it came from. I think that they can change the title when they move it, so that might not help
I was not aware that this was also a problem in the other forums, as I never go to the Fixie forum.

Hey, moderators! How come you are moving so many threads, when they are meant for a specific forum?

Would it be possible to ask the author of the thread first as to their intent, before moving the thread?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-26-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-26-04, 09:45 AM
savarin

Bikes: LWB bent, tall bike, chopper, building a leaning trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when a post has been moved how do you track it down?
I've noticed a couple of mine have the moved tag on them but as I cannot remember where I posted them in the first place I've no idea if that is where it was moved from or moved to
Old 12-26-04, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The best thing you can do to keep your thread from being moved is to keep it relevant to the proper forum.

I took a look at the moved threads. They look properly moved, in my opinion.

We try to stay consistent with ALL forums. I belive all moderators go through all forums, although I do know that some mods have particular interests, so they tend to spend more time in one specific forum (ie. Maelstrom in Mountain Biking quite a bit).

I think a lot of members feel a bit proprietary when it comes to the forums they like to stay in. But we all have to remember that first and foremost, Joe wants us to maintain an order and a consistency to the forums. Unfortunately, someone may start a thread they think to be relevant, and the moderators may think that it is better placed somewhere else. There are plenty of times when I've given the benefit of a doubt to allow things to remain, but if something is not very relevant and may get better exposure, better response and more eyes viewing it someplace else, it's going to get moved.

Another problem with thinking that there have been a lot of moved posts is that the 50+ forum is not a high traffic forum. There are only 3 pages of threads, and when something gets moved, it does look as though quite a few threads are moved. But if it was as high traffic as a forum like Road Cycling, which has roughly the same percentage of moved threads, it's just not as obvious.

There are some forums where the members really think there should be no moderation. They have complained, and the solution is to move threads and leave no redirects. I've found that when we moved threads and left a redirect, then members look at the redirects, and the complaints start. So my solution is to not give them the courtesy of the redirect. Over time, if the whining subsides, we will begin adding redirects back in when threads are moved. It is the best solution to the problem, and it does make our lives easier as moderators if we're not getting constant hassle from doing the job that Joe asks us to do every day.

Currently, if a thread is moved out of the 50+ Forum, there are redirects. If your thread was moved, it is easy to track. Click on the redirect, and you will find your thread, safely ensconced in its proper forum. You must know that if you can't remember where your original thead started, then it must have been placed in a more correct forum!

Denver, I hadn't thought about the New Year's Resolution thread. It may or may not get merged. It seems a bit redundant, but for now, I guess it stays (in my opinion). But if another mod gets on later and decides to merge it with the other New Year's Resolution thread, don't be surprised if it's no longer available. Just know it was merged with the identical one from the General Cycling Discussion. Note: threads that are merged with other threads have no redirects. Redirects are only for moved threads.

Since the forum really is growing quite a bit, we expect to see quite a few threads that are misdirected, needs editing, needs merging, etc. We try to do the best we can, and if people have questions, the best thing to do is contact a moderator- and you can do this via the PM system, or if need be, report the post, which takes it straight to the moderators forum, and we can discuss it there and figure out what to do.

By the way, changing the title isn't going to help any, since we look at content, not titles to determine what stays and what goes. Or at least, I read through quite a bit, and I think most, if not all, of the moderators do as well.

Finally, the "problem" with moving threads in other forums isn't with the MODERATORS moving them, it is with the MEMBERS randomly posting threads where the content is quite different from the intent of the forums. But again, our solution is to move without redirects. That solves the "problem" and keeps everyone calm. But again, if you see problems with moved threads, it's not that the moderators are the problem, it's the members having a problem discerning what is relevant to that forum and what is better placed in a different forum. This is not the 50+ Proprietary Forum, it's just the 50+ Forum. So if we believe there as a thread that needs to be moved, we will move it and leave a redirect. This is what Joe wants us to do, so we do it (for all forums). In doing so, we try to be consistent with how we treat all forums. There isn't one forum that doesn't get the same treatment received by all other forums.

Again, if you have problems, the best way to resolve them is not with angry declarations in a thread (ineffective), but by either contacting a moderator (and if your problem with a moderator, contact Joe Gardner), or by hitting the report button furnished in every post for your discretion so that your concerns go straight to the moderator forum, where we DO discuss all issues brought to us by other forum members (effective).

Thanks,

Koffee Brown

Forum Moderator

Old 12-26-04, 06:12 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

It seems as if the moderators are in an all-out attempt to keep the posts in what they believe to be the proper forums. A number of posts in the 50+ forum have been moved recently.

Perhaps if we put "50+" in the title or something similar they would be less likely to get moved out????

I predict that the New Year's Resolution post will be moved promptly (or combined with another "New Year's Resolution" post), as it does not state specifically New Year's Resolutions of 50+ers.

Or, perhaps it makes no difference. Even if moved, the title stays in the forum.

The best way to keep a post in the 50+ forum would be to make sure it's about Geritol, Glucosamine, or not being able to go up a 3% grade without a triple, or your knees "popping".
Old 12-27-04, 06:10 AM
michaelwlf3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I didn't know Condi Rice was a moderator.
Old 12-27-04, 07:22 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by michaelwlf3
Wow, I didn't know Condi Rice was a moderator.
Yes, and Koffee Brown is the secret Secretary of State!
Old 12-27-04, 08:51 AM
michaelwlf3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and Koffee Brown is the secret Secretary of State!
Do you think she'll move the State Department without a redirect?