Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone paid big money for a motion-capture bike fit and regretted it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 12:36 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still on the fence about it, not looking forward to paying ~$300 for the service and probably a few hundred more for stem, bars, post, crank, etc, probably being told I need a smaller frame. Anyone pay the money and regret it?
Old 03-21-15, 01:20 PM
mbw

Bikes: 18’ Trek Domane SLR, 06’ Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid for one a few years ago. I thought it was somewhat helpful, but I have adjusted things since then. It serves as a good baseline.

I recently spent some time and money on bike fit. Changed seat post, stem, positions of things... I think you can do a lot with just experimenting and measuring the old school ways. A lot of it has to do with what you start with too. You need roughly the right frame size and type. Also over time, size/fitness/flexibility play a big role into how you want to be on the bike.

I watched a lot of youtube videos on fit and biomechanics. If this hurts, or that moves, do this or that... type stuff.

I think if you are having a real problem or can't figure out why something is hurting, it might be worth it... or if you are competitive/racer.
Old 03-21-15, 07:48 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to hold my money until someone says otherwise, the. We've taken the same approach.
Old 03-21-15, 07:59 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
A good fit is a good fit. Video capture is a great tool to help make the fitters job easier by allowing to make measurements on a computer rather than statically on the rider. I have yet to see proof that a fit done with video capture has a better end result than a good fit done with a goniometer, plumb bob and an experienced eye. Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-15, 10:41 PM
basqueonacaad

Bikes: CDALE CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhh yes. Bike fitting. Modern snake oil. 400.00/dose.
Old 03-21-15, 11:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18407 Post(s)
Liked 4,530 Times in 3,365 Posts
Originally Posted by basqueonacaad
Ahhh yes. Bike fitting. Modern snake oil. 400.00/dose.
As the same question on Road Bike Review and you'll get a number of people adamant that the more money you dump into a proper fitting, the better.

I am curious what a true "fit" is like. My fitting has always been to put the heels on the pedals, set the seat hight, and take off.

When I built up my new Litespeed, I decided to try low handlebars. It certainly took a bit to get used to, but I can be quite adaptable to my "fit".

I just discovered that in my rush to get my Cargo bike finished, I managed to put a 180 crank on the left and a 175 on the right. I may have realized it at the time, but promptly forgot about it, and never noticed it when I was riding.

I suppose if you are a top tier road racer, then the perfect fit may help push you over the top. But, then again, the average Joe might not want the racing fit.

It also depends on your bike. If you're riding a Craigslist Special, then one can adapt to the bike, and you're better off putting the extra $300 into bike and gear. On the other hand, if you are going out to buy a new semi-custom $5000 bike, then might as well choose one that you're told actually fits... whether or not you can really tell the difference.
Old 03-22-15, 04:08 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A pro fitting can be a good investment if 1) you are experiencing pain/discomfort when riding (excluding, of course, muscle pain from hard efforts), 2) you are a competitive cyclist trying to get every last percent of power efficiency, 3) you don't have the time/patience/desire to work out fit issues yourself. If you can do the rides you want pain-free, then you may be underwhelmed by the results of a pro fit.

Motion capture fitting is not inherently better than any other technique. A good fitter can give you a good fit regardless of what tools he/she chooses to use. Picking a fitter based on system is like picking a mechanic based on the brand of wrenches in the toolbox.
Old 03-22-15, 04:08 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
A good fit is a good fit. Video capture is a great tool to help make the fitters job easier by allowing to make measurements on a computer rather than statically on the rider. I have yet to see proof that a fit done with video capture has a better end result than a good fit done with a goniometer, plumb bob and an experienced eye. Just my opinion.
Exactly.
I would never argue that a proper fit is important.
Nor would I ever argue that a motion fit is needed to accomplish this.
The guy that sold me my bike spent 20 minutes measuring me and I have never been more comfortable.
However, he was experienced, the owner of the shop, a cycling enthusiast who had done his homework and not a high school kid on the sales floor.
Old 03-22-15, 05:24 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
About 4 years ago I went for a retul fitting. Not motion capture, but they hook sensors up and the computer monitors your fit. Cost was $300. Other than have me switch out a lot of (expensive) equipment and then have the fitter not thrilled w/ me because I wouldn't buy stuff from his shop, it did nothing for me. As in I went in w/ specific issues and none were resolved.

Last year I went for a $150 fitting. No video, no retul, he used a laser at one point to see how my knees lined up while pedaling, but before we even got started he took one look at how I was standing and bet I had a leg length issue. We spent 2.5 hours working on my cleat placement, including a wedge on the shorter leg. Only other adjustment was tilting my bars slightly downward. The results were a miracle, I was able to ride pain free, my flexibility and reach increased dramatically because he was able to recognize and fix the problem.

Bottom line, it ain't the tools, it's the fitter. Do a lot of research and find someone who knows what they're doing. Try to find out if they listen to you or if they just like to tell you the way things should be. The guy I used had done a fit for someone buying a new bike and they told me that he kept adjusting the fit based on what my friend had told him about previous injuries and physical issues. Makes all the difference in the world (at half the price).
Old 03-22-15, 08:17 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's important to be comfortable & pain-free on your bike, while ensuring the right amount of power transfer in your legs.

It's not necessary to pay exorbitant amounts of money to accomplish this.

However, for some, there is a psychological benefit derived from parting with the contents of their wallets on the latest greatest snake oil.

EDIT:

That said, I will add that if your DIY fit ends up looking like the below pic, you should probably seek out some professional help:

Originally Posted by timtak

Last edited by velociraptor; 03-22-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-22-15, 09:23 AM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
It's important to be comfortable & pain-free on your bike, while ensuring the right amount of power transfer in your legs.

It's not necessary to pay exorbitant amounts of money to accomplish this.

However, for some, there is a psychological benefit derived from parting with the contents of their wallets on the latest greatest snake oil.

EDIT:

That said, I will add that if your DIY fit ends up looking like the below pic, you should probably seek out some professional help:
Needs more bar drop.
Old 03-22-15, 09:30 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Had a great experience with a BG fit. Agree with the above poster(s) that it provides a great baseline to work from, as there were still adjustments needed to fine tune comfort in some areas.
Old 03-22-15, 09:34 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ridiculous! Don't become the type of cyclist who obsesses over millimeters and grams.

If you have discomfort, and you have a basic idea about fit, make some adjustments...a you ride with said adjustments, see if it's better or worse, and make more adjustments as necessary- and/or realize that unless you have severe issues, the body acclimates to quite a wide range of fit.

Just play around with it, and see what feels best. Most people I hear of who have fits done, end up changing them anyway. Moving your seat up and down/fore and aft is easy; You can usually tell quite easily if you need a longer/shorter stem, etc. Don't pay someone $300 for that. All the fancy technology is really just to convince you to part with your money and to make you think that "they know what they're doing".

And if you absolutely must have a professional fitting...find some old coot whom all the racers use, who can do it by eye- he'll be much better than some guy who went to 1-day training session to learn how to use a computer, and now calls himself a fitter.
Old 03-22-15, 09:35 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJeff
Needs more bar drop.
Absolutely! Hi hands aren't level with his shoes, yet!
Old 03-22-15, 09:59 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good fit is worth it's weight in gold. The best shops offer them at a cost that is typically refunded with a purchase. My fitter is a trained physiologist, physical therapist, cycling coach, etc.. I paid $400 two years ago, I've had 4 free follow ups as I've changed things around, and when I get to that point where I'll be ordering a custom spec'd frame that outlay will be knocked off the purchase price. So...win-win all around. Reason I did it is that I do have previous sports injuries and I didn't want to screw around.

It's not snake oil but, fitters are like car mechanics, scads of bad ones, few excellent.
Old 03-22-15, 10:09 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11983 Post(s)
Liked 6,703 Times in 3,504 Posts
Gonna fix that thread title, it's driving me crazy.
Old 03-22-15, 10:54 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
A good fit is worth it's weight in gold. The best shops offer them at a cost that is typically refunded with a purchase. My fitter is a trained physiologist, physical therapist, cycling coach, etc.. I paid $400 two years ago, I've had 4 free follow ups as I've changed things around, and when I get to that point where I'll be ordering a custom spec'd frame that outlay will be knocked off the purchase price. So...win-win all around. Reason I did it is that I do have previous sports injuries and I didn't want to screw around.

It's not snake oil but, fitters are like car mechanics, scads of bad ones, few excellent.

lol....now I understand
Old 03-22-15, 11:24 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
lol....now I understand
Do tell oh wise one, Omniscient of all things cycling?

Car to substantiate anything you allude too beyond your usual bovine-excrement?
Old 03-22-15, 11:40 AM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

yup. the vocal opposition, as ever, have the right to not see a fitter or do it themselves. i spent almost a year chasing fit before a professional who knew what he was doing finaly adjusted my leg length discrepancy with shims and wedges, proper cleat placement and heel support. unreal the difference it made--no saddle sores, no shoulder pain. the two most important purchases i have made since i took up the sport were a good fitting and my aliante vsx saddle.
Old 03-22-15, 11:45 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do tell oh wise one, Omniscient of all things cycling?

Car to substantiate anything you allude too beyond your usual bovine-excrement?
be with ya in a sec....I'm busy sanding my disc brake pads
Old 03-22-15, 11:50 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
be with ya in a sec....I'm busy sanding my disc brake pads
Silence. Dead silence. Like my sintered pads and bb7s.

Then again, I know what I'm doing.
Old 03-23-15, 01:18 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by velociraptor
I am still really enjoying the fit pictured above (though I have my seat level and arms more bent now).

Last edited by timtak; 03-23-15 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 06:33 AM
technobuyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS did a free fit when I bought my bike, and then they did some tweaking later. I wasn't convinced things were as good as they could be, so I scheduled a Retul fit.

The guy doing the fit was very knowledgeable and professional. He spent alot of time trying to get me dialed, and to be sure, the retul fit did improve things.

I didn't get all my issues 100% resolved, but I decided that for some of them, maybe a a bike fit wasn't necessarily going to be the solution, and that I maybe just needed to HTFU.

Was it worth the money? That's a tough one. After the big money retul fit, I expected the clouds to part, the sun to shine through, and angels to start singing. Eh...not so much.

I did get some initial incremental improvement, and I think, especially for new riders(and if your a Clyde like me)all the fit in the world isn't going to make up for lack of core strength and flexibility.

It's been 3 or 4 mos since the fit, I'm stronger both core and FTP wise. I kinda feel like he put things where they needed to be based on my measurements, and that I've kinda grown into the fit as I've gained in fitness.

If I was offered the chance for a refund, and to reset my bike to where it was, I wouldn't do it. So yes, it was worth it, I would just say to manage your expectations.
Old 03-23-15, 09:45 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I am still really enjoying the fit pictured above (though I have my seat level and arms more bent now).
Hey, nothing wrong with that fit if it works/is comfortable for you.
Old 03-23-15, 10:00 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you know if pain is due to fit or fitness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.